KLR handguards installed. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
KLR handguards installed.

I got my 08 handguards today, and got them installed.

The good news first.

They can be made to fit, they clear the tank and the windshield. You can move the bars and controls to provide clearance.

I only have about 52 bucks and my time in them.

The right hand, brake side, fits on easily using the factory bolt which you purchase for about 11 bucks. Don't have to trim plastic.

They look pretty good I think, and are quite large, probably giving the most protection of any of the guards I have seen.

The bad news is the clutch side is not so easy to fit. I suspected as much when I first decided to try them.

The clutch switch that will let you start the bike in gear interferes with the guard and I removed it. The down side to this is that if you stop the engine in gear you must go to neutral to start it . You can also rig the switch so that the starter will engage when the bike is in gear, but you need to remember that so you pull the clutch lever in when starting. If you push the start button when in gear and the clutch is engaged, the bike will move and could cause you to tip over. I disabled the clutch switch on my KLR, so it is not a big deal for me.

The tab on the aluminum clutch lever that actuates the plunger on the switch also hits the plastic guard and must be cut off. I cut it off and made provisions to re attach it if I need to. I can elaborate if needed.

You need to do a little bit of plastic trimming on the clutch side. Some for the mirror, and some for where the guard fits around the clutch cable, nothing major.

I made the bolt/ perch mount for the clutch side instead of buying one from the factory. This was ok for me, only took a few minutes, but I have the stuff to do it, and I enjoy it.

If someone decided to use these handguards, the best bet would be to buy the factory bolt.

All things considered, I am happy that I used the KLR guards. I wanted protection from the elements, and these will do better than any I have seen.

I think for most folks, using the aftermarkets like the motoray or such would be the best thing to do.

For gluttons for punishment like my self, you might like the KLR's. It wasn't really bad, it sounds worse that it actually is, I probably only spent a couple of hours installing them, and I took my time.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by august; 11-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 08:00 PM

Just finished installing the Cycra handguards on my Versys.I mounted the brackets on the end of the bar weights using longer bolts I bought the L clamps for mounting to the bars. They didn't match up exactly flush, but worked none the less. I'm pleased over all , they look good, and give good coverage. Easy installation, only about 30 minutes.

Mike
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 AM

Thanks for the installation tips August. I've had the KLR guards since spring, but have not had time to install them and had not tried to figure it out on the clutch side.

I guess with the snow now on the ground, I will have time to fiddle around with them as well as my driving lights to be sure to be ready to go when the white stuff disappears.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
The tab on the aluminum clutch lever that actuates the plunger on the switch also hits the plastic guard and must be cut off. I cut it off and made provisions to re attach it if I need to. I can elaborate if needed.
hey, so I have the same throttle mister cruise control so bar end hand guards are pretty much out... do you think the klr650 guards would be the best bet?
what did you mean by the buying the factory bolts? getting the bolts for the klr650? thanks for the advice

08 Versys 32+k and counting

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf38 View Post
hey, so I have the same throttle mister cruise control so bar end hand guards are pretty much out... do you think the klr650 guards would be the best bet?
what did you mean by the buying the factory bolts? getting the bolts for the klr650? thanks for the advice
I saw on another forum, that a fellow used the guards from a KLE model bike.He said they fit on using the the hardware for the KLE.

The problem he had with them was that they hit the gas tank in full turn. He had to cut about a third of the bottom of the guard off so the bottom of the guard would not rub on the tank. That would not be acceptable to me. The reason I am putting guards on is to provide as much protection as I can get.

The bolts I am referring to are the ones that go through the control perch and the levers.

The right hand one has a shoulder on it that goes through the hole in the brake lever.

The left hand one is a threaded bolt all the way though the lever.

Both bolts have a threaded boss on top of the bolt that spaces the guard at the right distance from the control perch,and also accepts the 6mm bolt that fastens the guard on the top.

The bottom of each bolt sticks out the bottom of each control perch far enough to let you put one nut to tighten the lever, then the thickness of the guard, and then a nut to clamp the guard.

If you decide to use the KLR guards I would definitely use the factory KLR bolts, one for each side.

If you are up to doing some work, as in removing the clutch switch, cutting off the tab, and cutting a little bit of the plastic, I think the KLR guards are a good choice, especially for those of us who use a throttlemeister.

I spent a while figuring out what I needed to do to not mess anything up, so my original install took a little time. Knowing what I know now, I could put a set on in less than an hour. It's that learning curve thing!!

Let me know if I can provide any more help or even a picture.

Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM

I just put on VStrom handguards, and they fit great. Brake side went right on using Suzuki supplied hardware. Clutch side had same problems you guys are having with the cut-out switch, but I just trimmed the bottom of the guard instead of the lever. The guard ends up being held on only by the top bolt and the bar end, but that is more than stable enough. Keeps the hands warm!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Here is the list of parts needed from the 2008 KLR to install them on the Versys (all available from ron Ayers)

Clutch side:
Part # 92153-1538 BOLT,LEVER SET 1

Brake side:
Part # 92153-0790 BOLT,LEVER SET 1

Hand covers:
Part # 59441-0031-6C COVER-HANDLE,LH,EBONY 1
Part # 59441-0032-6C COVER-HANDLE,RH,EBONY 1

Part # 130J0612 BOLT-FLANGED,6X12,BLA Qty Req 2
Part # 92015-1603 NUT Qty Req 2

You can check them spec sheet on the KLR 650 to figure out which goes where.

Hope this helps!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Hope this helps!
THANKS I'm gonna order everything asap...

I have the barkbuster guards from twisted throttle for sale in the classifieds
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...0266#post20266

08 Versys 32+k and counting

Last edited by asdf38; 12-04-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode