Reason(s) not to go OEM side cases? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Reason(s) not to go OEM side cases?

I've been going back and forth with side cases. (I'm worse than a child trying to pick out what flavor ice cream they want at Baskin Robbins!)

I discussed with mentolio as he has the Shad's with the 3P system and the SH36 cases. I like their looks but didn't want the side-opening cases. I do like the Shad SH23's...but they won't fit the Versys 650 3P system. And wouldn't ya know, they're the ONLY Shad cases that have top-openings. So, after pricing the Shad brackets and SH36 cases I'm looking at around $700.

Then I thought of the Givi's. The mounting brackets are ugly-looking if you ride without the cases. Plus, you have to lower the license plate bracket to mount the case brackets. This requires removing the turn signals, installing the Givi license plate bracket, and there's also that cross-over bar. I thought of doing that and getting the E22's as they are cheaper and also top-opening. (Had this set-up on my NC700. Not big cases but sturdy and held what I needed it to hold.) The Trekker series look tough as nails, but I find the Versys to be more street savvy. IMO, those Trekkers look awesome on a V-strom or Super Tenere as, to me, those bikes have a more "boxy" look to them. As far as the larger Givi cases, they're too "pontoon-looking" to me.
Anyway, the Givi brackets and E22's run about $350.

Then, while at Bike Week, I got a chance to mess around with the OEM cases. Yes, they're side-opening but they really look great on the Versys (IMO). And, if you don't want to use them you just simply pull them off and there's no ugly brackets! But then there's the price. Ouch!!! $800 for the cases and another $40 for the rubber mounts, then another $50 for the ignition-key locks!

So I called my dealer where I bought the Versys and asked if they gave a discount on OEM accessories. He priced me out at $750 for everything!!!

I know this is a late post but I'll be going down there tomorrow to pay for it. Any reason I shouldn't? Anyone who has these cases find them not worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I don't like Hard Side Cases....I brought my 2016 V-1000LT home and the first thing i did was take the hard cases off and put them in the spare room. They haven't been touched in almost 2 years. I use a Givi E-55 Topcase to haul my stuff then i have a pair of Chase Harper Small Bags where i keep tools and electrical goodies. If i ever need the side cases i can throw them on. But i would prefer a set of soft bags to use if needed....

2 Joe's On ACH by weljo2001, on Flickr
Devilsfan likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

I thought of soft cases, too. But I do like the idea of locking hard cases. Sure, anything can be broken in to but I'd rather have someone fight a little with a screw drive than simply take a pair of scissors. Plus, in the Florida sun, soft bags start to turn purple really fast.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
I thought of soft cases, too. But I do like the idea of locking hard cases. Sure, anything can be broken in to but I'd rather have someone fight a little with a screw drive than simply take a pair of scissors. Plus, in the Florida sun, soft bags start to turn purple really fast.

Yes, But hard cases get scuffed almost everytime you throw your leg over a bike. A small drop can destroy a hard side case which is expensive but a soft side case can take the impact much better and still hold your crap as you take it home afterwards..
Devilsfan likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 03-14-2018 at 09:45 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:45 PM

Garage
BTW i just had to break into my topcase...Was really simple....At least the replacement locks are fairly cheap....

P1020230 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi Top Case Lock Replacement by weljo2001, on Flickr
Devilsfan likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I love the OEM cases. They look great, and I like that they use the same key as the bike. And I love how easy they go on and off. The downsize is they are kinda small. I made up for it with a giant trunk.

$750 seems not bad for OEM cases. Try pricing out luggage on a BMW!
Urbanengineer and Devilsfan like this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
reality check:

you spend probably 500-1000$ just in fuel per year, not counting other maintenance, tires, chains, sprockets, oil... etc.
can you spent 800$ for something that pretty much lasts forever (at least 20 years = 40$/year) and that you can resell?

find cases that you like, top opening, that fit any bike given the rack, like swmotech trax alu.
and please look for used ones first; it's rare but you might be lucky.
Urbanengineer and Devilsfan like this.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I've been going back and forth with side cases. (I'm worse than a child trying to pick out what flavor ice cream they want at Baskin Robbins!)

I discussed with mentolio as he has the Shad's with the 3P system and the SH36 cases. I like their looks but didn't want the side-opening cases. I do like the Shad SH23's...but they won't fit the Versys 650 3P system. And wouldn't ya know, they're the ONLY Shad cases that have top-openings. So, after pricing the Shad brackets and SH36 cases I'm looking at around $700.

Then I thought of the Givi's. The mounting brackets are ugly-looking if you ride without the cases. Plus, you have to lower the license plate bracket to mount the case brackets. This requires removing the turn signals, installing the Givi license plate bracket, and there's also that cross-over bar. I thought of doing that and getting the E22's as they are cheaper and also top-opening. (Had this set-up on my NC700. Not big cases but sturdy and held what I needed it to hold.) The Trekker series look tough as nails, but I find the Versys to be more street savvy. IMO, those Trekkers look awesome on a V-strom or Super Tenere as, to me, those bikes have a more "boxy" look to them. As far as the larger Givi cases, they're too "pontoon-looking" to me.
Anyway, the Givi brackets and E22's run about $350.

Then, while at Bike Week, I got a chance to mess around with the OEM cases. Yes, they're side-opening but they really look great on the Versys (IMO). And, if you don't want to use them you just simply pull them off and there's no ugly brackets! But then there's the price. Ouch!!! $800 for the cases and another $40 for the rubber mounts, then another $50 for the ignition-key locks!

So I called my dealer where I bought the Versys and asked if they gave a discount on OEM accessories. He priced me out at $750 for everything!!!

I know this is a late post but I'll be going down there tomorrow to pay for it. Any reason I shouldn't? Anyone who has these cases find them not worth it?
If you have a Costco membership, you can get up to $200 off of OEM parts purchased from your local participating Kawasaki dealer, which includes the OEM hard bags. Just contact Costco on line, and they will send you an email with the discount "code" and a list of local participating Kawasaki dealers. Then just show the email to the parts guy to get your discount.

-Dave
PJC1955 and Devilsfan like this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The previous two bikes I had did not have OEM luggage and I used aftermarket stuff for saddlebags and top case (Bates and Leatherlyke)............never was real happy with them. When I got the Versys it came with the OEM cases (2015 LT) and I added the 47L top case. I only use the saddlebags when on a long trip but I'm happy with them.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Hey Dan. $750 seems righteous for OEM stuff. Getting at Cahill's?

It was good almost meeting you yesterday.
Devilsfan likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Hey Dan. $750 seems righteous for OEM stuff. Getting at Cahill's?

It was good almost meeting you yesterday.

Not a fan of Cahill's. I've gone there a few times for parts and that kid behind the desk had no idea what he was talking about.
Tampa Bay Powersports. Always good to me there!

Yeah, sorry it was so crazy yesterday. Although I ride up by Eustis all the time I don't really go further north so I had no idea that 19 ran into 40...even though I've taken that route to Daytona a few years ago.
BTW, was that you on the white bike with a white jacket?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
...I know this is a late post but I'll be going down there tomorrow to pay for it. Any reason I shouldn't? Anyone who has these cases find them not worth it?
In general I'm very happy w/ the OEM bags on my '15 650LT, and they are VERY easily removed to lube the chain.

raverson and Devilsfan like this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the opinions everyone! I went ahead and ordered the OEM's. I just think they complement the bike perfectly.
Fastoman and steve1503 like this.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Not a fan of Cahill's. I've gone there a few times for parts and that kid behind the desk had no idea what he was talking about.
Tampa Bay Powersports. Always good to me there!

Yeah, sorry it was so crazy yesterday. Although I ride up by Eustis all the time I don't really go further north so I had no idea that 19 ran into 40...even though I've taken that route to Daytona a few years ago.
BTW, was that you on the white bike with a white jacket?
Yup. Running an LED low beam plus a pair of LED spots. I cut west on 42 in Altoona and took the twisty route through Emeralda Island to my house.

BTW, some right decent riding north of Eustis/Tavares/Leesburg. Also decent in the Florida Alps just south of me.

Text on it's way.
Devilsfan likes this.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?

Last edited by SteveJ; 03-15-2018 at 03:51 PM.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 07:16 PM

Garage
Best of luck with those bags, they really are arguably the BEST LOOKING bags for the V! And not having any unsightly bracketry when removed is awesome.
Devilsfan likes this.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:12 AM

Garage
I like the mounting option of the Kawasaki cases and that they don't look too bad. However, I went with Givi Outback's in the 37 liter size.
Devilsfan likes this.

so it goes...
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 AM

I went round and round on the cases for my '09 which I bought new with V-35 cases. The V35's are roomy but due to the way they open, I didn't find them practical. I eventually went with the much smaller Givi's which load from the top. For trips I need more room so a tail bag, and a tank bag along with a Pelican case mounted on a rear rack is my solution. They are all detachable so I only take what I need. Here is how it changed over time.

Hey Devilsfan, were you on the FZ1OA back in the day?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (69.7 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 2013-04-25_19-02-02_75 (1).jpg (70.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140621_121358046.jpg (84.3 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140515_073018509_HDR.jpg (89.7 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 20180308_171040.jpg (73.3 KB, 97 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

I'm no diplomat

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 03-16-2018 at 07:04 AM.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog View Post
I went round and round on the cases for my '09 which I bought new with V-35 cases....
Loved your pics, Yamadog - I'm a "green" fan too, so here are two of mine...

altho' I ONLY have the last one now (at least in Canada...)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6114838 copy.JPG (394.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00430 copy.JPG (356.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00434 copy.JPG (403.5 KB, 33 views)
Devilsfan likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:05 AM

Garage
"I do like the Shad SH23's...but they won't fit the Versys 650 3P system"

Are you certain? I thought the point of the 3P was "one size fits all?" I'll send an email to Shad USA for confirmation...if they really don't fit, I am going to be bummed! I was strongly considering getting the smaller bags.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentolio View Post
"I do like the Shad SH23's...but they won't fit the Versys 650 3P system"

Are you certain? I thought the point of the 3P was "one size fits all?" I'll send an email to Shad USA for confirmation...if they really don't fit, I am going to be bummed! I was strongly considering getting the smaller bags.

Yes, I even called them and asked. NOT that the guy on the other end of the phone new anything other than typing up a sale those SH23"s do NOT fit. It even says it on the website.

I asked the guys at the dealer what they knew. We all came to the conclusion that the small SH23's won't fit a longer-bended tube as the 3P system is. In other words, there are two points that hook on the top of the bracket. These points have to be fixed. Therefore, a smaller bag would have to slide closer to the bend where one of the hooks on the bag would wind up being over the bend, not on the straight part of the bracket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode