China Hugger? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 21Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
China Hugger?

Has anyone installed one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...xaOTOS&vxp=mtr

Had a weak moment on ebay and bought one new for under $50 including shipping. ABS construction. Most brands are well over $100 plus shipping. Hopefully it is not total crap. Buying stuff from China can be a real hit or miss. Hope this is a hit, I will report back after it arrives in about a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:40 AM

would be interested in hearing your opinion about this.
andyversystheworld likes this.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 AM

Garage
Thanks for your post. I am interested to see how this works out! I checked it out, $36. for the item. but the shipping....Yikes! It really drives me crazy that these manufactures get $100. on up for a chepo piece of ABS plastic that costs them pennies. Of course, this should have been included in the original design of the bike. Looks good!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ya let us know how it goes i had planned on getting one myself next payday

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
Thanks for your post. I am interested to see how this works out! I checked it out, $36. for the item. but the shipping....Yikes! It really drives me crazy that these manufactures get $100. on up for a chepo piece of ABS plastic that costs them pennies. Of course, this should have been included in the original design of the bike. Looks good!
I didn't think the shipping was too bad at $17.00 from China, I offered $32 for the hugger so the total with shipping was just under $50. It would cost me more than $17 to use USPS to ship that same item from Georgia to South Carolina!
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
The pennies for the plastic & time to mold are not an issue, in fact if they took that out of the pricing there would not be a noticeable discount. The cost of the tooling, equipment to operate, and having a facility in the first place is what drives the pricing. I cannot imagine how they can perform the logistics for shipping (18 bucks to travel halfway around the world??).
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
...I cannot imagine how they can perform the logistics for shipping (18 bucks to travel halfway around the world??).
Recently I bought several items from China that cost LESS than $2 INCLUDING shipping!!!
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The pennies for the plastic & time to mold are not an issue, in fact if they took that out of the pricing there would not be a noticeable discount. The cost of the tooling, equipment to operate, and having a facility in the first place is what drives the pricing. I cannot imagine how they can perform the logistics for shipping (18 bucks to travel halfway around the world??).
Exactly, so if Kawi put a hugger on every versys those up front costs would be distributed over thousands of units bringing the cost per unit way down. Instead we have multiple vendors incurring those up front costs for a relatively low volume resulting in a high per unit cost. Many will agree a hugger should have been standard on this bike.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Has anyone installed one of these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...xaOTOS&vxp=mtr

Had a weak moment on ebay and bought one new for under $50 including shipping. ABS construction. Most brands are well over $100 plus shipping. Hopefully it is not total crap. Buying stuff from China can be a real hit or miss. Hope this is a hit, I will report back after it arrives in about a month.
It appears to be the same item as the Kappa. Bought one and installed last week after previous one was damaged in accident. Have not ridden with it yet. Quality seems decent. They (huggers) keep crud off of the bike and in particular the spring/shock and voltage regulator (mk1 and mk2 bikes). They may even make the rear shock last longer because of less mud pushing on the shock seals.

Last edited by twowheels; 03-12-2018 at 03:28 PM.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Thank those giant container ships that you see plodding by the Statue of Liberty or the Golden Gate bridge on stock footage...
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm also interested if it, or the Kappa, will fit/clear speedy's lowering kit.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo_Bob View Post
I'm also interested if it, or the Kappa, will fit/clear speedy's lowering kit.

On my 09 when i mounted my PowerBronze Hugger i had to cut a small section out with a Band Saw to get it to work with the Lowering Kit. Took a few seconds....

IMG_3275 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_3276 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
On my 09 when i mounted my PowerBronze Hugger i had to cut a small section out with a Band Saw to get it to work with the Lowering Kit. Took a few seconds....

IMG_3275 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_3276 by weljo2001, on Flickr
Thanks.Thats' a great help!
weljo2001 likes this.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:00 AM

Don't buy a hugger if you think it has a practical purpose. It doesn't.

At most it may have an esthetic value.
So if you are not into that, move on to something else.

I got one. All the crap still flies over the hugger and into the shock and over the muffler anyway.
It comes from the top of the wheel.
Rebel13 likes this.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post

I got one. All the crap still flies over the hugger and into the shock and over the muffler anyway.
I respectfully disagree. I've ridden my bike both with and without a hugger on the street and it makes a significant difference. Nothing however is going to keep your bike dirt free if you ride through mud or wet dirt roads.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 AM

Garage
Quote:

It doesn't have esthetic value either, it is just wheel foreskin!
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I've ridden my bike both with and without a hugger on the street and it makes a significant difference.
Then by all mean tell us what difference it makes.

'Cause I have one and I certainly don't see it, nor feel it, nor hear it, nor smell it...and I refuse to taste it.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Then by all mean tell us what difference it makes.

'Cause I have one and I certainly don't see it, nor feel it, nor hear it, nor smell it...and I refuse to taste it.
I find it hard to believe that huggers donít make a difference. They come standard on tons of street bikes and sport touring etc.. I canít see manufacturers adding the cost of a hugger with no function. Because of what and where it is located it does not have any real cosmetic value. Well I guess I will find out for myself soon enough, hoping it will reduce road crap on the shock etc.
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 08:35 AM

I can agree with one thing:

Judging by how thick water at high speed splashes "up" on the front wheel, I can imagine the hugger would block that on the rear. But it would typically rinse, more than cover with anything.

I'm not particularly concerned with water. It's mud I would like to block. I think fasteddie's trick (pad going down from seat into swingarm) is the best.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tml#post164926
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM

I never put a hugger on a bike; I don't ride off-road but I ride in rain and crap. I wonder if they might help with winter salt?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in