Versys 650 rack - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys 650 rack

Sometimes saddlebags aren't enough or I just want to leave them off. Installed Givi SR4114 Rear Rack Adapter from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/SR4114-Adapte...eywords=sr4114. Added scrap aluminum strap to connect both pieces. Total $33.95 for rack. I used long bolts to attach strap so excess would protrude for bungee cords.
Doug Just Doug and StormRider like this.

Last edited by Zenner; 02-12-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenner View Post
Sometimes saddlebags aren't enough or I just want to leave them off. Installed Givi SR4114 Rear Rack Adapter from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/SR4114-Adapte...eywords=sr4114. Added scrap aluminum strap to connect both pieces. Total $33.95 for rack. I used long bolts to attach strap so excess would protrude for bungee cords.
Any pictures?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

If you click on the link and then just picture two crossmembers, you'll have a good idea how it looks. Or...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0212181507-00 (2).jpg (29.8 KB, 308 views)

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
If you click on the link and then just picture two crossmembers, you'll have a good idea how it looks. Or...
Nice. I want to make plate off this that cantilevers forward over the rear seat and is wide enough to strap my dry bag to. Future project.
J
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW2007 View Post
Nice. I want to make plate off this that cantilevers forward over the rear seat and is wide enough to strap my dry bag to. Future project.
J
oh and when I want a smaller top case than my 42 liter, I bought the harbor freight middle size Pelican case knock off. Seems pretty robust. I will mount to cross bars like you created. https://www.harborfreight.com/2800-W...-In-63926.html

Jim
StormRider likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nice. You could increase the surface though, things will push in this 'hole'.
Also, here is how I enable mounting a top case (just a tough tool box)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Nothing I carry has a soft enough bottom to droop into the opening between the cross members. I carry a large backpack, carry bag, or old Chase Harper expandable tank bag with no issue. However I do plan on either cutting a Dollar Store steel baking pan or using a piece of rigid supperware to cover the gap and make the support surface slightly bigger. That addition will give it a little more finished appearance if I ever ride without something on the rack.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM

Love penny tech! You could also use a thick nylon cutting board instead of a baking pan; I've seen a few folks do that. Easy to drill/shape for mount holes or bungee cord/strap attachment points.
Tcruarceri likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Love penny tech! You could also use a thick nylon cutting board instead of a baking pan; I've seen a few folks do that. Easy to drill/shape for mount holes or bungee cord/strap attachment points.
Good suggestion. I'm always open to inexpensive and alternate ideas.
Doug Just Doug and Tcruarceri like this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:12 PM

Is there anything similar for the previous generation, without spend $100+?
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

In keeping with my minimalist (cheap) mods I added a 88 cent Walmart cutting board to complete my rack. It is on straight and level although the picture distorts it some. A large backpack fits quite nicely on the rack and back of seat. Total investment: $34.83
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0226181419-00.jpg (50.2 KB, 194 views)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You gave me an idea, so let me show the result.
This gives better support for my nelson rigg drybag.
(I've rounded the corners since that picture...)
Doug Just Doug likes this.

Last edited by dddd; 04-19-2018 at 03:49 PM.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Removed aluminum scrap and Walmart cutting board. Installed Yescom 30L Motorcycle Top Box/Case/Trunk. Nice, well made, easily removable. AND it is big enough to hold my XXL HJC full face helmet. That came as a surprise. Not bad for $28.90.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391952414252
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic1.JPG (150.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2.JPG (151.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg Pic3.JPG (133.4 KB, 111 views)
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 PM

Did you have to do any adaptation to the top case plate or to the previous installed rear rack to fit it?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 07:08 PM

Thank you very much for this post. Id considered a top box since I take the bike to the gym in the summer months twice a day. Its in a crappy neighborhood (welfare office in same parking lot so lots of foot traffic) always worried about my lid and tank bag when im working out.

I dont want to take the lid into the gym because I already had my sena broken when someone knocked it off the top of a locker. Going to grab the extender and top box you linked, $60 is a good deal all in.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago View Post
Did you have to do any adaptation to the top case plate or to the previous installed rear rack to fit it?
No adaptation necessary other than drilling two holes. The front slots in the plastic mounting plate lined up with holes in the brackets. I had to drill two holes in the brackets to use the rear slots in the mounting plate.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle E View Post
Thank you very much for this post. Id considered a top box since I take the bike to the gym in the summer months twice a day. Its in a crappy neighborhood (welfare office in same parking lot so lots of foot traffic) always worried about my lid and tank bag when im working out.

I dont want to take the lid into the gym because I already had my sena broken when someone knocked it off the top of a locker. Going to grab the extender and top box you linked, $60 is a good deal all in.
I wouldn't expect a plastic box to offer much protection in your case unless you remove it and take it into the gym. Unfortunately, luggage on motorcycles is just as likely to make thieves curious and all plastic containers are easy to open. Good luck, hope you can find a better location.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't expect a plastic box to offer much protection in your case unless you remove it and take it into the gym. Unfortunately, luggage on motorcycles is just as likely to make thieves curious and all plastic containers are easy to open. Good luck, hope you can find a better location.
Yeah sure you could break into in 5 seconds with a screwdriver.
More of a out of sight out of mind thing. Just to keep the random crackhead from riffling the bag. And also would let me keep my gopro and sena on the helm so I wouldn't have to keep taking that stuff off and on. when I lock it to the bike like I do now.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 11:45 PM

Garage
And for camping or fishing ( or fishing while camping lol) you have a cutting board right there.
Doug Just Doug and Tcruarceri like this.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
givi sr4114, rack, tank bag, top case, yescom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode