Versys 650 rack - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

https://www.amazon.com/TMS-Motorcycl...s=tms+tank+bag

TMS magnetic tank bag.
I like this one. Mine was about $5 more expensive off Ebay. It can easily be adapted for use on Versys. Pics to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Complete, as of now, and ready for the summer trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TankBag1.JPG (172.4 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg TankBag2.JPG (179.9 KB, 57 views)
Avande likes this.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 AM

Hey Zenner,
Did you have to replace magnets in ye tankbag??? Was thinking of getting the one you linked on Amazon but everyone panned the magnets and eventually replaced with some stronger ones..

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

The front magnets don't serve any purpose since they don't contact metal. You could remove the front magnets and add them to the rear magnets, but I haven't done so since the rear magnets are strong enough to keep the bag aligned considering the amount of weight I carry in the bag. A strap of Velcro attached to the handlebars and front of bag keeps it centered and prevents it from moving rearwards. Works well for me. Easy to mount and remove. I wouldn't trust just magnets to secure a bag on the V anyway. As you can see by the pictures I can carry a considerable amount if necessary. The bag and top box are used for the lighter, bulky stuff. In this manner I've noticed no effect on handling or stability. These additions of rear brackets, top box, and tank bag totaled less than $100, look great, and add a lot of useful storage capacity without looking grossly out of place.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 AM

Garage
Did the exact same thing - givi rack and HF camera case. Love the set up. Total investment is $70 plus change. It's nice having a "glovebox" for your bits and bobs. Can also be locked.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 09:37 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenner View Post
The front magnets don't serve any purpose since they don't contact metal. You could remove the front magnets and add them to the rear magnets, but I haven't done so since the rear magnets are strong enough to keep the bag aligned considering the amount of weight I carry in the bag. A strap of Velcro attached to the handlebars and front of bag keeps it centered and prevents it from moving rearwards. Works well for me. Easy to mount and remove. I wouldn't trust just magnets to secure a bag on the V anyway. As you can see by the pictures I can carry a considerable amount if necessary. The bag and top box are used for the lighter, bulky stuff. In this manner I've noticed no effect on handling or stability. These additions of rear brackets, top box, and tank bag totaled less than $100, look great, and add a lot of useful storage capacity without looking grossly out of place.
Thanks Zenner!! I guess I was putting to much stock in those amazon reviews that all seem to really complain about replacing the weak magnets.. Was considering a smaller nelson Rigg tank bag(CL-2014 - https://www.amazon.com/Nelson-Rigg-C.../dp/B018AXNG86), but at 3.5 times the price I'll probably go for yours. Thanks for the guidance!!!

2012 Pittsburgh Steeler Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Morgan2112; 07-24-2018 at 03:08 PM.
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 03:42 PM

Zenner.
As a very recent, new 2018 owner, I'm interested in a simple trunk and you seemed to have that covered very well. The price has jumped just a few bucks but it sure seems worth it for an inexpensive addition.

- Are you still pleased with the quality of all the parts and the stability once mounted to the bike?

- Can you store your full coverage helmet vertically in the trunk or must you lay it sideways?

thanks, Peter
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

My HJC XL (not XXL as previously misstated) full face fits only on its side. My HJC L open face fits only on its side, but I have to remove my flat face shield first. The quality of the brackets, tank bag, and top box is very good. Impressive, in fact, considering the cost. I use my top box all the time. Easy to open, close, and remove. When I need more room I add the tank bag and/or side bags. I've not noticed any effect on stability or handling with the top box. Of course I don't carry a load of bricks in it either. That's what the side cases are for.
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM

Garage
i made my own rack out of some flat stock it works pretty good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4461.jpg (133.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4457.jpg (127.9 KB, 31 views)
Avande and quexpress like this.

If you gonna F up, get it out of the way early.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:02 PM

Since post #12, the aluminum has broken from fatigue. This is not recommendable anymore, except maybe for very light load and no offroad.

I have now steel angle bars, 12inches each, and they were relatively easy to twist with an adjustable (crescent) wrench when held in a table wise, to make a flat connection to the kitchen board. Painted with rock guard rubbery paint which is chip resistant.

The kitchen board is doing the bridge between both bars, so in the end, it's a much simpler rack design than brazing alumiweld on transversal alu plates.

post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:26 PM

Garage
Twisted Throttle has SWM racks on sale. $100 off. Tempted. A little nicer than my Walmart cutting board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
givi sr4114, rack, tank bag, top case, yescom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in