• 2 Post By quexpress
  • 1 Post By TowerMan
  • 1 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 1 Post By Gangles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Best Headlight Bulb Recommendations

My low-beams have finally given up after about 6-7 years on my 2011 Versys. I was considering purchasing the OEM bulb, but figured I'd see what else is out there for low and high-beam aftermarket headlight bulbs. So shoot me your bulb recommendations!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I just used a 'regular' H7 when I had to replace one. On my Gen1s I spent a "whack" of time adjusting the two beams till I was satisfied, and my coverage is really good.

On my Gen 3, however, the beams are 'split-up' by the fact that the headlite "glass" has many small facets, so I believe I have a better headlite on my '08....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 PM

Garage
I have converted to LED bulbs. I'm not pleased with the beam pattern produced by the bulbs I currently have though. They have 4 large "COB" emitters all around and produce a lot of light, but it is not well focused. I've been doing some research and have found that there are LED bulbs that have good beam patterns. Here is an example on eBay.ca. If you search eBay.com for "H7 F2 LED" you will find them. Note how the LED emitters closely resemble the filament position of the original bulb. That is the key factor to having a good beam pattern. The LED's have to be in the same position as the filament was, or darn close to it!

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 09:52 AM

LED bulb emitters should face left and right

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16VGTIDave View Post
I have converted to LED bulbs. I'm not pleased with the beam pattern produced by the bulbs I currently have though. They have 4 large "COB" emitters all around and produce a lot of light, but it is not well focused. I've been doing some research and have found that there are LED bulbs that have good beam patterns. Here is an example on eBay.ca. If you search eBay.com for "H7 F2 LED" you will find them. Note how the LED emitters closely resemble the filament position of the original bulb. That is the key factor to having a good beam pattern. The LED's have to be in the same position as the filament was, or darn close to it!
To get a good beam pattern, LED bulbs should be oriented so the emitters are facing left and right,, or 9 and 3 o'clock.

jaaklucas and crosshairs like this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:17 AM

I've been very happy over the years and several bikes using Philips X-treme Vision. They plug right in, put out a much whiter light, and won't melt anything. They usually only last me about a year/8-9K miles, though. I checked directly with Philips and was told that's a typical life span for that model bulb.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:48 AM

+1 for Phillips X-treme and their other bulbs. I use them on my bike and Subaru. Do some shopping before just snapping anything up. I bought my bulbs on Amazon for half the price that my local Walmart was hawking them for. Keepa and other price trackers on Amazon are a great tool for spotting deals and ripoffs
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 AM

Cool

What to look for when buying LED Headlight Bulbs

With regards to what to look for with regards to beam pattern see 18:45 onwards
Best new type of LED is at 26:30

Richard
onewizard likes this.

at

Last edited by TowerMan; 02-07-2018 at 06:45 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Stop recommending LED drop in bulbs, they are a downgrade from good halogen bulbs.

"But halogen isn't sexy..."

Uh... seeing deer keeps you sexy!

Best halogens: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-halogen-bulbs

Why HID/LED can't work in reflectors: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Stop recommending LED drop in bulbs, they are a downgrade from good halogen bulbs.

"But halogen isn't sexy..."

Uh... seeing deer keeps you sexy!

Best halogens: https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-halogen-bulbs

Why HID/LED can't work in reflectors: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Super helpful info!!! Thanks.

Jim
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 PM

Garage
I run cheap and cheerful generic bulbs in it. IMO the difference between oem and premium is not that noticeable. If you want lots of extra light buy some aux LED lights off of AliExpress or EBay. Narrow beam pattern and ~4000 lumens each.
Urbanengineer likes this.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 09:58 AM

Garage
I find it amusing that Phillips (a light bulb manufacturer) has designed and sells US DOT legal LED bulbs. Including some headlight and fog light bulbs.

Not all LED bulbs are junk. There are some that have been designed correctly to replace halogen bulbs. Their main benefit is they consume much less power, which reduces the load on the charging system and wiring. They can also output twice the light of a high power halogen bulb, while maintaining a correct beam pattern.

LED lighting technology is continuing to advance, regardless of what Mr. Stern and his friends think.
jaaklucas likes this.

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 01:37 PM

LED are a controversial topic so heres my experience.I also have an E-bicycle so LED is the only option as you have have to be very energy efficient.I changed most of my main household lighting to LED years ago as our hydro rates keep going up.More cost up front but a lot cheaper to run.Uses a lot less current than halogen,incandescants answer to brightness,I uses household dimmers when needed.And a lot less heat.Had to change one bulb,it was a defect.On my gen 3 Versys 650 I changed all my lights to LED as I added more lights,heated gear,chargers ,etc.Our alternator has to generate the current and it all adds up,especially heated gear.I needed the brightest headlights I could get away with for my aging eyes.I got the Denali LED headlights,a tried and true system.They are made to fit the Versys and other similar bikes.The improvement in brightness and distance at night is big.They emit at the 3 and the 9 sideways to assimilate to our reflectors.Because this is a single emmitor(bulb) to retrofit our incandescent system it produces some heat.As opposed to a LED array(like the gen 3 rear brake light),which uses a series of emmitors which dissipates the heat best option.The LED headlamp single emmitor(bulb) therefore needs a heat sink.Mine have a micro fan built in,best option,and better than the ones with the strands hanging off the backside.Now that I know what to look for I could probably get cheaper online.Theyre all made in China I believe.Pay attention to the color rating,the lower numbers can be bluish which some people like. 35,000 K and all lights still going,my experience on all LED fronts is they last a long time as they produce little heat.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:57 PM

I bought the Cyclops LEDs for the KLR/Versys. Requires modding the rubber weather boot to fit but holy goddamn! Thems some bright lights! There are a few hot spots in the beam, but it keeps the OEM cutoff so I think it was worth it. They are MASSIVELY brighter, it isnt even funny.
quexpress likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in