New 650LT getting some parts put on need some advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

New 650LT getting some parts put on need some advice

Hi All,

I have a new 2017 650LT Versys. When I bought the bike I got a super discount on all the parts I wanted since the dealer lost track of my panniers and had to ship them to me later.

I have the following parts and I'm going to get them installed shortly:

Kawasaki Heated Grips
Kawasaki Hand Guard Brackets
Kawasaki Fog Lights and on off button
Kawasaki Right and Left 12V power outlets on right and left of my dash with relay (my dash has the gear indicator on the LCD board)

Questions:
1) Does this have to be done at a Kawasaki dealership or do I void my warranty?

2) What should I be concerned about when getting this done?

3) Does anyone know if for my bike a right and left 12V power plug will be okay? Seems the right side should have a gear indicator but I have the gear indicator in my LCD so ...?

4) One dealer is quoting 3-4 hours at $109/hr our $436 Labor. Seems reasonable. Any of your thoughts welcome.

5) Still haven't found a good after market windshield?

Thanks for any of your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiffany.JPG (101.2 KB, 64 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:13 PM

Honestly, all of these installations are relatively easy, and youíll learn a lot about the bike. Save the $436 and use it for gas money. When you get the panniers off, you'll have easy access to install the lights,sockets, and hand grips.

I think there is only one plug available for the 12V outlets. Iíd tap one into the wires of the other. 5 Amp max load on the relay, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beezerboy likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 PM

If you feel the labor charge is reasonable and you have confidence in the dealer to do everything correctly and you aren't comfortable with digging into your new bike, then perhaps the best answer it let the dealer do it. If they make any mistakes it's their responsibility to make things right. I'm not going to say you will, but if you do make any mistakes, it's your dime. My two cents only.
aboyandhisversys and Duffy like this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:18 PM

Garage
UTAHISRAD likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Garage
Shows more about the relay but not in English..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:51 AM

A coupla notes.

1)

The Kawasaki grip heaters suck. Complaints on uneven heat for one. Do a forum search.

I use Heat Demons with a PWM controller, others like Oxfords. The Heat Demons have coils that go under the grips so make sure you like the grips you have. I picked up these grips:

https://www.murphskits.com/product_i...products_id=35

These grips also utilize a higher output heater for the clutch side as it's directly attached to handlebar metal. Good stuff.

2) The power outlet location leaves very little clearance for cords with the hand guards installed. Do make sure you have clearance with whatever you plug in. Larger plugs will interfere. Risers may eliminate the issue, but I don't use them.

Have fun and enjoy. Welcome aboard.

ttfn

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'99 Concours(with 234,xxx miles on it), sold
'98 KLR650

And most of Canada too, eh?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 AM

I'd agree with Arion...................if you're handy with tools then go for it and save some bucks, but if you're not handy then let the dealer do it.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'd agree with Arion...................if you're handy with tools then go for it and save some bucks, but if you're not handy then let the dealer do it.
Ditto. easy installs. you can find USB charge ports that fit the round cut outs in the dash on Amazon and ebay. I used this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just in case you want 12V on one side and USB on other. save the $436 labor, order the service manual and easy stuff to do your self. Enjoy!!
onewizard likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
A coupla notes.

1)

The Kawasaki grip heaters suck. Complaints on uneven heat for one. Do a forum search.

I use Heat Demons with a PWM controller, others like Oxfords. The Heat Demons have coils that go under the grips so make sure you like the grips you have. I picked up these grips:

These grips also utilize a higher output heater for the clutch side as it's directly attached to handlebar metal. Good stuff.

2) The power outlet location leaves very little clearance for cords with the hand guards installed. Do make sure you have clearance with whatever you plug in. Larger plugs will interfere. Risers may eliminate the issue, but I don't use them.

Have fun and enjoy. Welcome aboard.

ttfn
Personally I would return the Kawasaki heated grips and get your money back, I have the Oxfords, and thousands have them, the ones Weljoe has came out just recently and really good feedback on them. What has been said about the Kawasaki grips is 100% true, they suck, and I was quoted something like $200, my Oxfords were half of that and from my dealer.

As to installing, good learning experience, however you make a mistake, it gets very expensive. Lots of support on this forum for DIYS , however , only you know your capabilities. The quote if you have used these guys, is very reasonable, as a professional, I would be hard pressed to complete all that in 3 hours, if they are quoting time and material, look out, as you may be paying for 6 hours, which is what I think it could take.
Beezerboy likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 06:49 AM

I seem to be in the minority when it comes to Oxford heated grips, so go where your gut leads you. But, my Oxfords are hot on the right side and lukewarm the left. I have read on other forums that Oxford had a problem with there heat control unit on some sets. Your results may vary. Personally, the Koso Apollo grips suggested by Weljo are a much cleaner install.

Last edited by BEACHBUM; 01-20-2018 at 08:24 AM. Reason: misstatement
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Garage
The power port installation is relatively easy because the 4 wire connector is right in front, under the dash. I used the cigarette lighter style socket in the LH hole and wired it into the 'always hot' circuit which allows me to easily use my battery tender with the cigarette lighter plug. I used a dual USB socket in the RH hole and wired it into the 'accessory' circuit. If you have a voltmeter and some wire and spade terminals, it's quite easy to 'tie into' the 4 wire female connector.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Uneven heating in Kawasaki OEM Grips for Versys 650LT

I just had the OEM Kawasaki Heated Grips installed on my Versys 650LT. I rode them hold in chilly weather and found that the left hand worked fine and was heated but the throttle grip is only 25% as warm. At full heat one the left is hot and the right is lightly warming so it really won't work out for my burning left hand and under warmed.

Does anyone know if you can adjust the power from right to left to get it even?

If not can I send the Kawasaki product back for poor performance and get a refund?

Is there a product that allows to manage the left to right heat to get it even or a new product that seems to have overcome this uneven heating discrepancy as of Jan 2018?

Thanks all, Mark
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:42 AM

I've see this as a common report with the OEM heated grips, seems that it may have to do with the plastic under the throttle side. Heard good reviews for Oxford grips.

Sent from my TF201T using Tapatalk
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 09:38 AM

I use the Heat Demon under grip heating coils. They have different size coils for each side that work well with the unequal heating demands for each side.

Yeah, if you want true ram air tuning, you better be willing to ram some air! (SteveinSunnyFlorida)

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 10:17 AM

I use "Little Hotties" in my gloves, they never fail to work..................
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:39 PM

Check your warranty to be sure, I went through my own and found that personal modification does not void the warranty, unless involved in an incident where the cause is ruled to be because of a modification installed by a non - Kawasaki tech.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
I agree with the sentiment that if you got a spare couple of hours and want to learn more about your bike (and I believe you should), installing accessories is a pretty easy thing to do and you can't do any harm since the manufacturer already provides all the necessary electrical ports. You just need to use them without having to mess about with electronics. I installed my 12V accessory without any prior experience and did just fine, and I learned more about what lies 'under the hood'. It even came with the instructions with pictures and all, in the little green Kawa box.

However, if you decide to install the 12V accessories yourself just make sure not to break any plastic penises while removing fairing cuz they're not the most resilient things. I usually tend to throw a bit of WD-40 on the rubber vaginas before reinstalling fairing, then they go in smooth. (yes, that sounded weird lol)
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
I usually tend to throw a bit of WD-40 on the rubber vaginas before reinstalling fairing, then they go in smooth. (yes, that sounded weird lol)
You may want to consider using spray silicon lube as petroleum solvents tend to not be kind to things rubber and plastic over time.

'15 KLE650LT
'98 KLR650

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
...However, if you decide to install the 12V accessories yourself just make sure not to break any plastic penises while removing fairing cuz they're not the most resilient things. I usually tend to throw a bit of WD-40 on the rubber vaginas before reinstalling fairing, then they go in smooth. (yes, that sounded weird lol)
I do that TOO. Makes the job way easier.

Quote:
You may want to consider using spray silicon lube as petroleum solvents tend to not be kind to things rubber and plastic over time.
WD40 was tested for O-rings (by MOTORCYCLIST magazine) where they left some O-rings in a container of WD40 for several days, w/ NO problem or deterioration.

NightRider likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
A coupla notes.

1) The Kawasaki grip heaters suck. Complaints on uneven heat for one. Do a forum search.

ttfn
Can't speak to Heat Demon heated grips, but I will wholeheartedly agree that the OEM grips are hopeless.

I spent the $$$ and wish I hadn't. Don't be THAT guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2017 650 versys lt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode