Hand guards/wind deflectors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hand guards/wind deflectors

Has anyone tried adapting 2008 KLR hand guards/wind deflectors to their Versys? I'm really only looking for wind protection as all my riding is on the street and the cost of real hand guards is a bit steep for my needs. The KLR bar and controls look very similar to the Versys at a glance. Any advice or information will be appreciated.....john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 PM

Lightbulb

I have looked into adapting the 08 guards.

It looks like they can be made to fit with a little creative thinking, some light machine work, and maybe a little welding.

I ordered the guards, and the right hand perch/bolt for the guards.

I plan on making the left hand bolt , and that is where some welding might come into play.

When the stuff gets here, and I have a chance to work on it, I will post some pictures of what I have done.

I am fairly confident that I can make these work. The dealer, who is a fair mechanic himself, agrees with me.

I have a lathe and a welder, so I am looking forward to playing with this. If no welding or machining is necessary, I would be happy with that.

It's possible after seeing what I do, some folks here could come up with other ideas as well.

More to come. August

I might add, the reason I plan on making the left hand bolt, is because each bolt costs about 13 dollars, so being a little on the frugal side and enjoying the challenge, I decided to try making the bolt. The right hand bolt has a shoulder cut on it, and it looked like buying that one would probably make sense.

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike

Last edited by august; 11-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Hi August, many thanks for your reply. I have ordered the KLR 08 guards but they won't come in for about 3-4 weeks. I'm hoping if the fit is good that i can piece together the mounting arrangements. I would like to see what you do with yours as you obviously have a fairly clear idea of what is needed. Many thanks.....john

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 PM

My dealer carries Motoray handguards that do not attach to the bar ends for $70. I put them on and they are very easy to install, effective for wind protection and work with the Givi large windshield.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Hi Gatorman, thanks for your reply. After seeing the Motoray website I may cancel what I've ordered and get these instead. I like the mounting system. How do you like the Givi windscreen? I have one on order. Many thanks.....john
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 02:52 PM

The Motorays were just perfect for my needs. You probably found them for less than I paid. My dealership owner rides a V and he put on Motorays -- plus they were available that day. Mounting took all of 20 minutes.

The Givi windscreen is much better than stock, but wind still hits me at the middle of my forehead and I am 5'8". Other threads here discuss other screens, but if the Givi were 1 inch higher it would be perfect. Some day I'll play around with tilting the shield or drilling new holes to channel the wind a bit higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode