10Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By hawkerjet
  • 4 Post By 16VGTIDave
  • 3 Post By twowheeladdict

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Auxiliary lights for V650

Hello all, I am looking for a good set of auxiliary lights for my versys 650. I am planning a first cross country trip in May and I thought some extra lights would be a good idea for safety. Any suggestions anyone can offer would be great. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on tools, accessories or other necessities I might need, your help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelkel View Post
Hello all, I am looking for a good set of auxiliary lights for my versys 650. I am planning a first cross country trip in May and I thought some extra lights would be a good idea for safety. Any suggestions anyone can offer would be great. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on tools, accessories or other necessities I might need, your help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I did my 650 a few years back. I purchased a no name set from ali express. They are about 4000 lumens each which is incredibly bright. Since they are LED they draw relatively little power and you can just wire directly to your high beam bulb feed wire. This way the high beam switch will turn them on with the high beam.

You however will need to purchase either the Denali or SW-Motech side light brackets to mount unless you use the generic fork leg mounts. If you do purchase proper light mounting brackets make sure the lights you purchase come with proper universal fit mounts so you can attach and aim them from the brackets.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LED-Auxiliar...S/122354861604
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-2...y/172761626772

Last edited by twowheels; 12-30-2017 at 05:02 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 AM
jpd

Garage
I used some cheep 10 watt led work lights from Amazon. They can be found with both flood or spot beam. I went with the spot beam. I mounted them to the lower radiator fairing attach point with a longer bolt and spacer. I found this on an old post on this forum. I have a 2013 (gen 2). I powered them from the aux connector and a simple switch attached to the handle bar.
They are more for visibility than for long range light, but they do add some light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160713_153746_resized.jpg (33.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20160713_153848_resized.jpg (43.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg v dash.jpg (64.2 KB, 157 views)

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 AM

Aux lights are pointless for safety, as is hi-viz. It's why the military no longer requires hi viz on base or "visibility mods" on the bike.

It's all about presentation and not showing your right of way-dick.

Aux lights can be cool for daytime running lights but they legit serve 0 purpose.

Unless you aim them way up in the air and out, which then they function as cornering lights.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I have additional LED lights on my Vs solely to make me more visible to cage drivers.
silviefox and quexpress like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:04 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have some no name $12 led lights mounted on my fork tubes, dont pay big bucks for mounts if you plan to mount on the forks, get some exhaust clamps and tire tube, i made mine for about $3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13102829_10154166538143055_5228252264380305627_n.jpg (113.4 KB, 132 views)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:53 AM

I installed one of these on my FZ09. Had a buddy put 2 of them on his FZ8.

These suckers will light up the world. You look like the Santa Fe or Burlington Northern coming at ya. Cars definitely take notice.

May eventually install one or two on my V-650.

https://sinisterdiesel.com/i-2407633...SABEgL42_D_BwE

This is a pretty good deal. Think I paid around a buck 80 for mine a few years ago.

I wired it into the bikes high beam circuit so you could dim it with the handlebar dimmer switch.
Urbanengineer likes this.

Cookin Wid Gas

2015 V-650 of course it's green...it's a Kazawalski.

Last edited by hawkerjet; 01-01-2018 at 12:12 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post
Aux lights are pointless for safety, as is hi-viz. It's why the military no longer requires hi viz on base or "visibility mods" on the bike.

Aux lights can be cool for daytime running lights but they legit serve 0 purpose.

Unless you aim them way up in the air and out, which then they function as cornering lights.

I disagree. Regardless of what the US military may, or may not, require.

Based on personal experiences over the past 5 years and 70,000+ km (43,000 mi), I know that hi-vis yellow (or green) helps improve rider visibility. I started my riding career in all black gear and learned quickly that contrast is required. I've found that hi-vis orange is too common in North America to be effective. I don't want to look like a stationary construction worker or a traffic cone.

Lights in a triangle pattern increase visibility and improves distance and speed perception by the viewer. The rail roads proved this decades ago. This is why trains have their lights always on, and they are in a triangle pattern. It also works for motorcycles. This is also why high mount brake lights are so effective on cars.

As for right of way, I think we agree. Physics will always trump traffic laws, except in a court of law. In the real world, it doesn't matter if a motorcycle legally has the right of way. A motorcycle can yield for another vehicle with much less drama than them trying to yield or perform an emergency stop.

When ever practical, I try to 'make friends' by signaling or waving through larger vehicles such as transport trucks. They have enough difficulties dealing with the same "texting cager's" that are trying to run us motorcyclists down. No need to add to their stress, or get stressed myself. Besides, it is fun to wind out the bike when passing the truck a moment or two later. And getting a friendly wave, thumbs up, flash of lights, or appreciative honk from the driver always puts a smile on my face!

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer View Post

Did you read the study?

In my personal experience extra lighting has increased my visibility. Presenting a triangle of light is so much better than a single headlight. Also extra brake lights that flash make a huge difference and keep tail gators at bay.

Also, my one piece hi-viz Olympia suit makes me very noticeable when I am on a smaller bike that isn't hiding me behind a fairing. This is based on comments I got from drivers. I don't wear it when out on a country ride, but I do if commuting in cold weather. My thought is IF you are going to wear gear, might as well be hi-vis. If not, then it doesn't matter. Of course not everyone is comfortable enough in their manhood to wear hi -vis and I can respect that.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode