Home made Radiator screen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By 2linby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Home made Radiator screen

After pricing out radiator guards and being somewhat shocked at the pricing of these units I decided to search the web for ideas. Setting in on my first prototype I used 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/6" angle aluminum for the frame riveting it together and using some decorative stamped aluminum sheet I sourced on Amazon for the guard itself. One 5 foot stick of the angle did the trick. First time out on this so I really don't know how it'll hold up, but for less than $25.00 and something to do on a very cold rainy weekend I figured what the hell. This is on a 2014 Versys.

I started out measuring the outside of the radiator and figured 16.5 x 6.5 inches would give me the frame required to cover the entire radiator. I fabricated four brackets to fasten the unit to the bike. Two brackets made from the 3/4" angle stock and two made from some 1/2" x 1/8" flat aluminum stock on the top of the guard. 1/8" rivets with back up washers and the flat stock on the inside to give the screen some rigidity. To fasten the guard underneath I removed the two 5mmx 1.o (10mm head) bolts and used longer 25mm bolts then another nut and lock washer. For the top brackets I "field measured" and bent the flat stock at a 90 degree angle and riveted it to the guard and used a self tapping hex head screw I secured the brackets into the frame gussets on each side. Additionally I notched out on the right side of the guard (right as sitting on the bike) to allow room for the radiator cap and the lower hose connection. I also had to use a 30mm 5mm x 1.0 bolt and a 10mm long plastic spacer on the lower left side "fairing" to stand it away from the guard just enough to not place pressure on both. Hopefully the pictures show all this. I'll do a follow up review after I put some miles on the set up and may be paint it flat black. But for now it'll be as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4167.jpg (47.7 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4170.jpg (43.5 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4171.jpg (39.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4166.jpg (73.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4169.jpg (53.9 KB, 107 views)

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".

Last edited by 2linby; 12-17-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Looks great, good work sir! I too am a big fan of DIY mods on my bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2linby View Post
After pricing out radiator guards and being somewhat shocked at the pricing of these units I decided to search the web for ideas. Setting in on my first prototype I used 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/6" angle aluminum for the frame riveting it together and using some decorative stamped aluminum sheet I sourced on Amazon for the guard itself. One 5 foot stick of the angle did the trick. First time out on this so I really don't know how it'll hold up, but for less than $25.00 and something to do on a very cold rainy weekend I figured what the hell. This is on a 2014 Versys.

I started out measuring the outside of the radiator and figured 16.5 x 6.5 inches would give me the frame required to cover the entire radiator. I fabricated four brackets to fasten the unit to the bike. Two brackets made from the 3/4" angle stock and two made from some 1/2" x 1/8" flat aluminum stock on the top of the guard. 1/8" rivets with back up washers and the flat stock on the inside to give the screen some rigidity. To fasten the guard underneath I removed the two 5mmx 1.o (10mm head) bolts and used longer 25mm bolts then another nut and lock washer. For the top brackets I "field measured" and bent the flat stock at a 90 degree angle and riveted it to the guard and used a self tapping hex head screw I secured the brackets into the frame gussets on each side. Additionally I notched out on the right side of the guard (right as sitting on the bike) to allow room for the radiator cap and the lower hose connection. I also had to use a 30mm 5mm x 1.0 bolt and a 10mm long plastic spacer on the lower left side "fairing" to stand it away from the guard just enough to not place pressure on both. Hopefully the pictures show all this. I'll do a follow up review after I put some miles on the set up and may be paint it flat black. But for now it'll be as is.

I dont think it has enough air flow for the hot summer days. let us know how often the fan goes off in the summer. Otherwise looks very cool !
I bought one from aliexpress for $15. link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...311.0.0.xnkSIk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaulter View Post
I dont think it has enough air flow for the hot summer days. let us know how often the fan goes off in the summer. Otherwise looks very cool !
I bought one from aliexpress for $15. link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...311.0.0.xnkSIk

Yes I am aware of this potential. The Northwest rarely gets extremely hot and I rarely ride in city traffic for any extended period of time. But it is a potential concern that I am aware of. Thanks!

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode