Proven long-term mounting location for ADVmonster F11 fog lights? Gen II - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
harrisonjord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 3
Proven long-term mounting location for ADVmonster F11 fog lights? Gen II

Hi,
6 months ago, I installed a pair of F11 fog lights on my Gen 2 forks.
A month ago, one went completely dead and thankfully John at ADVmonster told me to send it back and he provided a replacement.

Now the other light is on it's way out. Very, very dim compared to the new one.
I contacted John again and he thinks it's related to vibration possibly due to mounting location.

For the price, I would hope that they typically last more than 6 months!

So my question is, does anyone have a proven long-term solution for mounting these F11 fogs?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5610.jpg (58.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5612.jpg (56.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5615.jpg (58.0 KB, 69 views)
harrisonjord is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Found a Glitch in the Forum Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonjord View Post
Hi,
6 months ago, I installed a pair of F11 fog lights on my Gen 2 forks.
A month ago, one went completely dead and thankfully John at ADVmonster told me to send it back and he provided a replacement.

Now the other light is on it's way out. Very, very dim compared to the new one.
I contacted John again and he thinks it's related to vibration possibly due to mounting location.

For the price, I would hope that they typically last more than 6 months!

So my question is, does anyone have a proven long-term solution for mounting these F11 fogs?
As in the title no one is allowed to post any place except members introduction for the preset time period as in the link I posted in your introduction. As to your question, I considered that mounting location, extremely bad unless those are $20 led . If you crash, kiss them goodby on one side for sure. I chose the SW Motech mounting for my Denali DT-2 lights. Actually cheaper than the shock mounts you have in the photo made by Denali, so I returned the Denali mounts and was lucky to find a Canadian distributor that had the SW Motech in stock, company called FortNine.


onewizard is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
harrisonjord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: LA, CA
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
As in the title no one is allowed to post any place except members introduction for the preset time period as in the link I posted in your introduction. As to your question, I considered that mounting location, extremely bad unless those are $20 led . If you crash, kiss them goodby on one side for sure. I chose the SW Motech mounting for my Denali DT-2 lights. Actually cheaper than the shock mounts you have in the photo made by Denali, so I returned the Denali mounts and was lucky to find a Canadian distributor that had the SW Motech in stock, company called FortNine.







Thanks for the info onewizard. Nice looking setup.
I should have clarified what I used to mount mine. I attached them to the forks with $5 T-clamps. Something like these
https://www.fastenal.com/products/de...0Clamps%22%7C~


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
harrisonjord is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonjord View Post
Thanks for the info onewizard. Nice looking setup.
I should have clarified what I used to mount mine. I attached them to the forks with $5 T-clamps. Something like these
https://www.fastenal.com/products/de...0Clamps%22%7C~


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw that as to the clamps, the biggest problem besides vibration is directional force, anything that can move will move, over time this will weaken and break. The SW Motech mount is bike specific and in my opinion worth every penny, I also think that many others feel the same way as Twisted Throttle Canada and USA were sold out and there was a email waiting list to get in line for the next shipment, when I got my kit in September.
onewizard is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,125
Here's how I mounted Denali lights onto my Gen 3 650:





They're mounted below (and inboard of) my SW-Motech crash bars, with some mounts I made, and welded up.





onewizard likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kitchener Ontario
Posts: 6,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here's how I mounted Denali lights onto my Gen 3 650:





They're mounted below (and inboard of) my SW-Motech crash bars, with some mounts I made, and welded up.





And if you can weld I can't think of a cheaper more protected way of mounting, however I wanted the height and my highway pegs / big feet would have interfered with Eddie's mount.
onewizard is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Member
 
quexpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 908
OZ Mini LED Auxiliary Lights

OZ Mini LED Auxiliary Lights attached to SW Motech crash bars with "roll-bar" P clamps.




I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
quexpress is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 17,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...and my highway pegs / big feet would have interfered with Eddie's mount.
Got rid of my "highway-pegs" when I got rid of my Harl....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome