Kappa or Givi? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By NightRider
  • 2 Post By 2linby
  • 2 Post By quexpress

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Kappa or Givi?

Can anyone articulate the difference between Kappa and Givi branded parts? From what I can tell they are offering the EXACT same things. Same parts, designs, even prices.... just branded with a different sticker.

I ordered a rear wheel hugger off eBay, a few months ago when there seemed to be a drought of the part on Twisted and Revzilla. It was advertised as Givi, recieved Kappa branded part. No big deal its solidly constructed and mounts exactly the same as the same Givi part. They even share the same part number. Now I am seeing TwistedThrottle carrying both the Givi and Kappa rear wheel hugger, at the exact same price (although the Givi part appears to be on sale, still currently listed as the same price)

Recently shopping for side cases, the Givi E22N and K22 seem to be the exact same thing, even sharing the 'monokey' feature.

Both companies seem to be Italian. I cant make sense of it. It doesnt really matter but the business logic behind the same parts and prices, under 2 brands in the same market is what intrigues and confuses me. Givi has some name equity here, Kappa is a sorority moniker in my head. What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Kappa is made by Givi... Same stuff just branded different to be sold in different countries...

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:48 PM

From all that I've read, your assessment is spot on. Extremely similar products-- they are close to identical. And yes, I've read that the 22 liter bags are identical aside from emblem branding.

You'll notice other similarities such as: K40/E41, Garda/Trekker, K49/V46, and the list goes on. Often, where differences exist, the differences are subtle. For example, (with Givi) the E41 and Trekker have a second access lid near the top, and the sibling Kappa cases (K40 & Garda) have a similar overall structure but without the second access lid. In many cases, these subtle differences help keep the cost down-- and in my opinion have less moving parts to break and/or fewer sealing points which may leak. The V35 bags are another example of the re-branding.

I recently bought Kappa side case racks from the USA Kappa distributor (tourandride.com), and fitted them to my existing Givi top case bracket system. It was the same kit that I would have bought from Givi, but over $70 less than Givi list price.

After all that I've read, it surprises me that more people don't buy the Kappa stuff. Maybe when people realize that it's essentially the same product (owned by Givi), sales might increase in the USA. I have a boat load of Givi stuff, but would not hesitate to buy Kappa-- if I needed to replace one of my current items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
Can anyone articulate the difference between Kappa and Givi branded parts? From what I can tell they are offering the EXACT same things. Same parts, designs, even prices.... just branded with a different sticker.

I ordered a rear wheel hugger off eBay, a few months ago when there seemed to be a drought of the part on Twisted and Revzilla. It was advertised as Givi, recieved Kappa branded part. No big deal its solidly constructed and mounts exactly the same as the same Givi part. They even share the same part number. Now I am seeing TwistedThrottle carrying both the Givi and Kappa rear wheel hugger, at the exact same price (although the Givi part appears to be on sale, still currently listed as the same price)

Recently shopping for side cases, the Givi E22N and K22 seem to be the exact same thing, even sharing the 'monokey' feature.

Both companies seem to be Italian. I cant make sense of it. It doesnt really matter but the business logic behind the same parts and prices, under 2 brands in the same market is what intrigues and confuses me. Givi has some name equity here, Kappa is a sorority moniker in my head. What gives?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Ford and Mercury...Chevrolet and Pontiac...same idea. Two lines from the same parent. There are some slight differences between the lines (e.g. K33N and V35 side cases are slightly different), but the mounting hardware is shared between both.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Poking around the TourandRide website helps thanks Bwwoodard I was not aware of their website. I had not seen any retailers with both products listed at different prices, so this makes their strategy more clear, very easy to compare at TourandRide since they only carry Givi and Kappa luggage.

I looked at the Kappa website which gives the info that Givi purchased the small Italian 'Cappa' brand in 1991 and made it Kappa. They have been expanding it since the 90's and are in the US with their luggage now apparently.

Kappa also makes helmets but I did not find a US retailer for their helmet line.

Kappa bags look like a good deal I will be shopping them when I add luggage to the bike soon.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Take it for what it's worth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kappa cover 1.jpg (46.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Kappa cover 2.jpg (24.9 KB, 93 views)
daninutero likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 08:05 AM

IIRC, the founder of Givi set his daughter up in the business under the Kappa name. Largely the same products, just re-badged.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 08:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
IIRC, the founder of Givi set his daughter up in the business under the Kappa name. Largely the same products, just re-badged.
Same basic product, same company. Givi is the premium brand and Kappa is the value brand. Usually Givi badged products have special touches like extra trim, color matched, or other features to separate them from the cheaper Kappa branded stuff.

Last edited by twowheels; 12-11-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:54 PM

I shopped for GIVI bags for my 2014 V650 and settled on Shad cases instead. Better features, better looks both on and off the bike, better price. Shad makes BMW hard bags in Spain so you know the quality is there.

The 3P mounts are not overwhelming when the bags are removed. in fact it is difficult to see them at all. The bags have an internal shelf that makes loading easier. I've had both brands and IMHO the Shads are a better bag.

SH36

SHAD 3P Fitment Kit KAWASAKI VERSYS 650
quexpress and Booger Man like this.

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2linby View Post
I shopped for GIVI bags for my 2014 V650 and settled on Shad cases instead. Better features, better looks both on and off the bike, better price. Shad makes BMW hard bags in Spain so you know the quality is there.

The 3P mounts are not overwhelming when the bags are removed. in fact it is difficult to see them at all. The bags have an internal shelf that makes loading easier. I've had both brands and IMHO the Shads are a better bag.

SH36

SHAD 3P Fitment Kit KAWASAKI VERSYS 650
I tend to agree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg St-Denis01.jpg (47.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg St-Denis02.jpg (79.0 KB, 105 views)
NightRider and Booger Man like this.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I tend to agree.
I just had to say your bike looks like a spaceship with all the mods. haha
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 08:22 AM

"Do these bags make my ass look big?"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:54 PM

I'm new to this site and have a Versys 650 ABS 2017 on order. Planning on the Shad SH36 & 3P mounts. These bags do seem wide on the bike and wonder if you guys that have them, would have re-considered the SH23 instead?
Also considering the SH48 top case and wonder what type mount is required for it (2017 bike).
TIA
Paul
North Dakota
-24 F yesterday

Last edited by onewizard; 01-02-2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: privacy
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 AM

Garage
My friend has the SH48 on his Super Tenere, and he loves it. Can hold two full face helmets. The mount is the standard Shad mounting kit, which is pretty inexpensive. Mine was no more than $60, and is pretty solid. I did have to "tweak" the bend on the metal supports to get it all to fit properly, but frankly I'd expect that with any product, even more expensive ones. His SuperT did topple over in his garage recently, and broke the mounting plate (full weight of the bike on the bag, he expected a lot more damage). The bag showed no signs of damage, just the mounting plate broke. The plate was cheap and easy to replace.

If I could do it again, I think I would go with the smaller side cases (SH23), assuming they would reduce the width (when installed). All assumption, of course. I have yet to find actual (believable) dimensions on the 23s. Everything I've found so far seems to be the dimensions of both bags shipped (that, or the case are really big in spite of being only 23 liters).

Last edited by mentolio; 01-07-2018 at 05:21 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 05:17 PM

I just install Shad SH36 side cases on my 2012 . Just have to relocate the rear turn signals. With bags off you canít hardly see the mounting brackets. Anyone know how to remove the rear signals the right way from the bike?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 031768CD-13D2-4C7A-A3A7-21E70D8225FF.jpg (12.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg EBD9613C-119F-4390-A09F-5906B129BBD3.jpg (23.7 KB, 34 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in