Total rework of my stock V seat - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Total rework of my stock V seat

Finally decided the only way to get the seat to feel right was to rework the thing....didn't want to fork out the money for a corbin till i tried redoing the factory...worked out pretty well actually....started off by cutting the foam down, till the seat was flat, and no longer sloaped forward... also sculpted out the back part so i could sit back farther in the saddle...then i took some blue camp pad and built it back up, adding more to the front....this stops the forward slide...figure i'm sitting about 2 inches further back now...on top of the camp pad i added 2 inches of memory foam, which molds to my butt great...then took it and had a marine grade vinyl stitched back on.....the wrinkles will smooth out when it sits in the sun some and it aides in allowing the memory foam to shift under you as needed...results...NO FORWARD sliding at all...very comfortable...better than my 1150rt seat on my BMW !!! total cost $75.00 for the seat cover...the rest of the materials i had ( camp pad, memory foam pillow) i sanded down the blue pad till i was shaped nice, then glued the memory foam on top...it cover the entire drivers side of the seat, sides included......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0967.jpg (160.2 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0968.jpg (161.2 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0969.jpg (171.6 KB, 461 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0970.jpg (181.1 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0971.jpg (181.4 KB, 621 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0972.jpg (183.6 KB, 561 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 01:26 AM

seat chop

You are one handy guy with a knife and a bottle of glue. Must have some sewing skills too. Good job.
Could you get a lower side/profile shot of the finished seat for us?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 06:29 AM

Looks good!

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
I started working on my seat from day one. I first sent the seat to Have it spencerized. Paid extra to have the Gel added. Then I took the rear cover off and trimed the rear section down and rounded it so the point was not sticking in my butt. Next I did the spacer in the front. Raised it 7/16 of a inch. This may have helped most of all. Next I took the complete cover off and found the gel that spencer had put in there was inadequate. I trimed the rear of the seat from underneath. I them added a great deal more gel. Twice as much as spencer had put in. The seat was better than before. Then we took the trip to Daytona. 630 miles first day. 2500 miles in five days. When we got back I took the seat off, laid it on the ground and hit it with a baseball bat. This brought no satisfaction. I then proceeded to run over the seat with my truck cursing all japenese men that would be old enough to work in a motorcycle assembly plant out loud. This made me feel better. After soaking in a tub of Epsom salt I finally got a good nights sleep. I woke up the next day with the seat in mind. I walked out side and picked the seat up off the ground and off to the work shop I went. I stared at it for several hours and finally I bit the seat in Half. The rear of the seat was still good so I wraped the remaining cover and hunted for a solution. I found A front seat on Ebay off of a 2004 BMW RT 1150 and it was the better Comfort seat. Now I have a bike that is as comfortable as it should have been from the start.
The speedy lowering kit makes the bike lower. The seat makes it sit higher. The buell pegs lower your feet. These 3 things has transformed my bike into a difference you would not believe.

Last edited by golfmuch; 11-14-2008 at 09:14 PM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

i ordered the buell pegs also..shopuld arrive shortly...i never had any luck with Gel either...the memory foam on top of blue camp pad is the ticket...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:46 PM

So what back seat did you use? Also how did the 1150 rt seat fit into the V base.?
Or did the RT foam get relocatesd to V plastic base. What is the Comfort seat, an RT upgrade??
It looks great !! I'm looking for one also!!

thx Steve
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM

Did you remove the Rt foam & install on the Ver seat base??

Looks great - just teh answer.
Steve
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
The rear piece is the original seat cut in just the right place. It still hooks under and latches in place. The front is off Ebay. Its a BMW RT 1150/1100 seat. The comfort gel dose the best but any will do. The BMW seats are popular and they come with optional heat. It took me 4 trys before I got one at a good price. I did'nt want to pay too much in case my Ideal didnt work. I have a RT at the house that I am trying to sell for a friend. I had the seat off one day and looked at the versys and thought hmmm. It take's a little creative customizing but it worked out for me perfect. Now that I know I can make it work I may try and find a OE comfort gel with heat. The seat is only modified by trimming the oe cups off the front bottom of the seat and notching the rear rubber bumpers so they hug the frame and wont move left or right.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 05:29 PM

Can you tack a couple pics to show how the rt seat fits underneath and what you had to do to make it fit? Thanks

[SIGPIC]
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamichop007 View Post
Finally decided the only way to get the seat to feel right was to rework the thing....didn't want to fork out the money for a corbin till i tried redoing the factory...worked out pretty well actually....started off by cutting the foam down, till the seat was flat, and no longer sloaped forward... also sculpted out the back part so i could sit back farther in the saddle...then i took some blue camp pad and built it back up, adding more to the front....this stops the forward slide...figure i'm sitting about 2 inches further back now...on top of the camp pad i added 2 inches of memory foam, which molds to my butt great...then took it and had a marine grade vinyl stitched back on.....the wrinkles will smooth out when it sits in the sun some and it aides in allowing the memory foam to shift under you as needed...results...NO FORWARD sliding at all...very comfortable...better than my 1150rt seat on my BMW !!! total cost $75.00 for the seat cover...the rest of the materials i had ( camp pad, memory foam pillow) i sanded down the blue pad till i was shaped nice, then glued the memory foam on top...it cover the entire drivers side of the seat, sides included......
I noticed this post after commenting on the Sargent seat thread. I don't have the skills or experience to do this, but I'm thinking about doing the basic cutting and then taking your pics and description to a local upholstery shop to do the rest.

Can anyone convince me that's a bad idea?

2008 Versys...still bonding to the bike.
2005 Husaberg FE450E. I LOVE this one.

... dirt bike built for my wife.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, go for it!

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

it's easy, to do, just go slow, you can use an electric drill and a sanding disc attatched, grinders spin to fast and you can dig in the foam real quick, a turkey carving nife will work..if anyone near me wants to ride in and check it out in person that's fine....i just don't feel that buying a corbin will come close to what you can do with the stock seat and a little time, little money
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 AM

This is my mod'd seat. All new foam and cover. 2 or 3 inches higher.
Ted99uk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small size. IMG_2375.JPG (119.8 KB, 316 views)
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Looks comfy! How is it?

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to andyhewitt3 Send a message via Skype™ to andyhewitt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99uk View Post
This is my mod'd seat. All new foam and cover. 2 or 3 inches higher.
Ted99uk.
looks good. care to share any details??
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:19 AM

Raised the seat by 1 inch.
Raised the front tip to stop me from pressing hard the tank during braking.
Same for the back tip to stop my wife from crushin me.
Cost about US$ 14. My bottom has been Thanking me since...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0424.jpg (523.6 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0425.jpg (580.9 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0426.jpg (482.8 KB, 232 views)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 AM

Did you reused the original seat covering? Looks nice!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM

Hi Sharrison56,
No, changed a new cover. The front and back portion was sewed together.
Added 1 inch of softer sponge. Agreed that the guy did a beautiful job.

Best Regards.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to demuire Send a message via Skype™ to demuire
Here's photos of my seat getting redone. Replaced with higher density foam, chopped about 2 inches out, not sure how much narrower it is but it is certainly as narrow as it will get. And for anyone looking closely, yes foam was added to the sides of the seat after the last photo to blend the original foam at the back into the new foam before the cover was put back on. I don't have a photo of the seat with the finished cover, however we reused the original cover, and it looks like a stock seat

Total cost about USD65, cheaper than the lowering kit

~
FookStar

2008 Kawasaki Versys (in green!)
Queensland, Australia

Last edited by demuire; 02-25-2009 at 08:17 AM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the pics, Demuire.

I've been reshaping mine, but without putting in any rocker. I've taken it down to a flat deck, trying to get it level instead of leaning forward. It's got a bit or turn-up at the front to maintain the original foam at that point.

I'm also trimming the front slope of the rear foam closer to vertical so I can sit a little further back.

I appreciate seeing what you've done. It looks like you've got pretty much the profile of the low gel seat there.

Last edited by Doctor Shifty; 02-26-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode