• 1 Post By troop
  • 3 Post By StormRider
  • 1 Post By MarkAnthony

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Which version of Oxford heated grips?

I have a 2016 Versys 650 (MK3).
Which version of the Oxford Premium Heated grips would work the best? The Touring or the Adventure grips?
I am also going to put tjhe 2-point barkbusters on (not sure if that makes a difference).

Thanks!

2016 Versys 650 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 01:33 PM

Garage
I think it's a matter of which type of grip you prefer. I have the sport pattern because I liked the extra grippyness and the look of them. They should all fit just fine.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:08 PM

Garage
The physical dimensions differ (length). Measure your existing grips. I believe, but am not certain the adventure style are the right choice. It is easier to shorten a grip that is slightly long compared to lengthen one that is too short. Also check out controller mount options. There have been other posts on this forum on this subject. I do not believe there is a difference in this between the 3 Versys versions.

Last edited by twowheels; 11-16-2017 at 03:12 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:38 AM

Direct from Oxford's web page:

Grip Lengths
Type -Standard Length/ Cut Length
Adventure -132mm (5.19")/122mm (4.80")
Touring 120mm (4.72")/110mm (4.33")
Sports 123mm (4.84")/114mm (4.48")
onewizard likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:32 PM

The Adventure ones fit just fine without cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 AM

I got the ADV ones, but I ended up trimming up to the limits of the grip off to make them fit nicely. Would rather have too much and need to trim a bit than not enough and have a pathway for water to get between the grip and throttle tube!

I also hear the ADV grips last longer than the sport ones? I'm all for sacrificing a bit of comfort for longevity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Garage
I just ordered the sport because it seemed like everyone has to cut the ADV ones to the size of sport anyway. I'll let you know Friday when I get them installed if you haven't ordered by then.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
I just ordered the sport because it seemed like everyone has to cut the ADV ones to the size of sport anyway. I'll let you know Friday when I get them installed if you haven't ordered by then.
How'd they fit?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post
How'd they fit?
Sorry for the delay..didn't think anyone cared.

The Sport fit exact with no trimming whatsoever! Don't have a pic of the throttle side but it has a super small space (1/16") between grip and box but I wouldn't want it to touch anyway. And like everyone says nice and hot! Been riding at 35F with toasty hands at 50% power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4882.jpg (63.8 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by StormRider; 12-05-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Wrong measurement
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:15 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=StormRider;1479793]Sorry for the delay..didn't think anyone cared.

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care..

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care..
Lol. I care but don't know much!
onewizard, weljo2001 and quexpress like this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:07 AM

I have the touring version on my 1st Gen - 09 Versys. The clutch side fit perfectly concerning length, but the throttle side has about 1/8 of an inch between the end of the grip and the bar end weight. I don't care about the small gap so I just ignore it.

I will say that getting the clutch side on was kind of a pain as there was so much paint and clear coat on the bar that I had to sand it down which took me a while.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM

Garage
I found this thread looking for answers to the same. Thank you, @troop, for posting the measurements.

Last night I measured my grips on my 2015 650 V, which came out to 4 and 7/8 inches.

Doing some quick math, 7/8 = 0.875, so 4.875 is the stock size of my grips.

Based on the measurements Troops' posted, it appears the Sports edition will work out of the box without any cutting required, but may come up a fraction shorter than the stock. Otherwise the Adventure appear to be your best bet, but _will_ require modification to fit correctly.

I intend on picking up some Oxford's fairly soon in hopes it extends my riding season. Anyone else doing the same, post your results!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 04:47 PM

Garage
In addition to the dimensions others posted, I'll add this information that Oxford emailed to me when I was trying to decide:

OF690Z- Heaterz Premium Adventure - Of the 3, this is slightly longer and like the Touring having a firmer and solid feel.

OF691Z- Heaterz Premium Touring-- Firm, stiff and solid.

OF692Z- Heaterz Premium Sports- Soft and squishy feel.

So, with the size of the Sports sounding just right, and wanting a little more squish, I ordered the Sports. But I procrastinated in installing them and ended up switching to a Concours to do more 2-up touring with my son. The Connie comes stock with heated grips, so I still have the Oxford Sports new-in-box. If anyone is interested, PM me.

2015 Concours 14 ABS, 2014 Versys 650 ABS, 2006 Vulcan 500 (sold)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Jensky,

I've had my heated grips for about 2 months now. I live in the DFW area of Texas so it stays about 40 degrees or warmer most of the year. With that said, I use 30 dollar Bilt gloves from Cycle gear that are just leather and protection bits, and the heated grips on 50% keep my hands pretty warm most of the time. If I get on the free way, I might have to turn them up just a one more setting to 75% and that's it. I have yet to need 100% and honestly think it might get a bit too hot unless its really cold outside at 100%.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 07:09 PM

Garage
Updating this thread, this weekend I finally went ahead and installed the Sport grips. Here's the result:

Ignore how filthy the gas tank looks...
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 10:44 PM

Oxford Grips for Versys 650LT

I had Kawasaki heat grips and they were uneven and poorly heated. I was recommended to Oxford. I chose Touring. I am a street only person who tours. I love them. They heat evenly, the are just the right level of heat from low to high, and when you get off the bike after a couple of minutes they shut off automatically. I don't think you can go wrong with Oxford on a Versys. Mark.
onewizard likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I have the KOSO APOLLO heated grips on both my Vs. They work PDG, w/ FIVE levels of heat, and much LESS bulk compared w/ the Oxford grips. The 'controls' are on the left grip.

I since rotated the right grip so the 'wires' are NOT so evident, now down at about 5 o'clock rather than at 1.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode