• 2 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By troop
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug
  • 1 Post By troop

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Saddlebags - KQR 28 or Givi?

I'm looking to get hard cases for my 2015 Versys 650 ABS. I'm debating between getting the Givi PL4114/E22N setup vs the KQR 28 factory bags.

Did anybody add on the KQR 28 saddlebags on existing bike? If so, did you pay the full MSRP on all that (bags, fitting kit, one key, panels, etc) which would be $1000+, or were is there some insight to getting all that for a more reasonable price? Obviously they tie into the look of the bike, and when removed you don't have the side frames hanging around (i.e. clean look) so obviously that makes them a very nice addition.

The Givi racks and E22N cases go for just under $400, so that's the appeal on that.

Also, per Kawasaki's website it says the accessories must be shipped to a dealer and installed by them. Did anyone just get them and install themselves? If so, get a deal on the whole setup?

You can't judge a book by its cover, but I know a coloring book when I see one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2017, 07:40 AM

motostorm.it Basically same design/style as the KQR's and a bit larger capacity. A bit more $$ than the E22n's but likely worth it.
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...i-plx4114.html
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...gage/2405.html
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...ide-cases.html
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...i-4114kit.html
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-...s-650-lt-15-16
flip20xx likes this.

Last edited by troop; 11-02-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:41 AM

I went thru the same debate when I purchased my 2015 ABS model. I didn't want to pay for new, so I monitored eBay for while looking for second-hand factory KQR bags and mounting bits to no avail. (BTW, if you do that, keep in mind the same cases are also used on the 1000 Versys and the 1000 Ninja, too.) In the end, I went with SW-Motech quick-release side carriers and Givi E-22 cases. I also added a SW-Motech luggage rack and Givi V-47 top case (the OEM is a re-badged V-47). If you're considering going the Givi route, be sure to check the prices at Motostorm.it. I saved a lot on my cases, even with shipping from Italy.
flip20xx likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 AM

Flip, this is my advice. Get something other than the factory hard cases if you need to carry anything but soft stuff.

The factory cases are nice in many ways. Being keyed to the ignition is nice. They mount/dismount super easy. The appearance is sleeker, not off-road. They keep the weight relatively low and close to center. They are sturdy and have been waterproof enough for my uses.

But, they are not a good geometry for many objects. Anything rectangular like a briefcase, laptop, shoulder bag, etc will not fit well. Even groceries can be fiddling to get in even though the volume of the cases is good. Once you get a pair of boots in there it can be difficult to get a jacket etc in with them. If you commute to work you may find the factory boxes are not easy to use.

The clamshell design is ok but not great. If you have several items to go in, holding them in place while closing the clamshell can be annoying. A top loading rectangular box would be much easier to load most of the time.

If you are only going to carry clothing or other soft items the factory boxes would be fine. For touring I would recommend getting the soft zip up cases which go inside the hard cases.
flip20xx and DancesWithCurves like this.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:41 AM

Yup .. I agree with Fly-Sig. I'm still on the fence between the Versys 650 ABS or Suzuki V-Strom 650. The value of the LT is great as I'll add both luggage and hand guards but do w/out the extra year of warranty. My luggage will only be on the bike approx 15 days/year for trips. For that purpose, I want usable luggage. So for me wanting a clean look bike 95% of the time, I want quick detaching hardware too. So, if I go the Versys route, my likely choice will be:
SW-MOTECH Steel Toprack to fit TraX, Givi & Other Topcases For Kawasaki Versys 650 LT & ABS '15-'18 | TwistedThrottle.com ( I have Givi top case/mount plate)
SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Side Carriers to fit Many Side Case Types for Kawasaki Versys 650 LT & ABS '15-'18 | TwistedThrottle.com

https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...appa-k40n.html

If V-Strom, I'll sub the mounting system to Givi:
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...key-cases.html

If I decide on cleaner/less capacity side bags, they will be these:
https://www.motostorm.it/en/accessor...r33-garda.html
flip20xx likes this.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the feedback! I do have a givi top case, and I currently have the cortech super 2.0 saddle bags which are great for storing my extra gear for commuting, but the soft bag style just seems to have a "cheap" look, and I can't lock it. Plus next summer the wife and I are planning a Blue Ridge (NC) run and the soft bag straps going over the seat and grab handles is not ideal.

It would mostly be used for soft stuff, clothes, or smaller personal items. My laptop and such fit in the top box just fine.

I like the E22N because they are slim and a bit angular like the Versys. The V35s look really good, but I don't want something sticking out way too far. Does anybody have some photos of that, especially from front and rear to see width?

Again, appreciate the feedback all!

Old 11-02-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
In the end, I went with SW-Motech quick-release side carriers and Givi E-22 cases.
I see, so the SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO Side carriers will work with Givi E22N? Looks like I just need that adapter? Sounds like that will give me the clean look I'm going for when the bags are off so I can quickly remove the racks too.

Sorry for being such a noob, but thankful for the feedback.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post
...The value of the LT is great as I'll add both luggage and hand guards but do w/out the extra year of warranty....
I have a '15 650LT (w/ the extra year warranty). The ONLY things I got under warranty was fork seals (first year), and a right-side mirror (second year, JUST before the warranty expired) as it would vibrate out of alignment.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 11-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip20xx View Post
I see, so the SW-Motech Quick-Lock EVO Side carriers will work with Givi E22N? Looks like I just need that adapter? Sounds like that will give me the clean look I'm going for when the bags are off so I can quickly remove the racks too.

Sorry for being such a noob, but thankful for the feedback.
Yup, that's the exact combo I have. You just need the Givi Monokey adapter kit that Twisted Throttle or Revzilla should have, which is just the top mount latch thingie and the two bottom bobbin jobbers. They bolt right to the side carriers in a few minutes. One thing if you're going to use a top case with a SW-M luggage rack: Twisted Throttle told me that the SW-M luggage/top case rack won't work with the OEM or the Givi luggage rack mount arms, so I bought the SW-M arms.

Before I put the Givi adapter kit on the top case/luggage rack:

flip20xx likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 AM

Yeah ... If one wants quick release side bag hardware for the Versys, SW-Motech is the only game in town at $327. Since that set up uses the OEM luggage rack mounting points, you need the SW-Motech luggage rack at $180-$200.
flip20xx likes this.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Doug, thank you for the info and the photos. Those E22N's look good on your setup.

troop, since I have the Givi top case rack it sounds like I would need to convert that to the SW-Motech top case rack for the SWM side mounts. That's starting to add up a bit. I may simply not have the disposable income at this time to pay for the clean look I want when I'm without bags.

This is making lean toward just the Givi rack and cases.

Once again, I appreciate your time and feedback. I'll know what to look for when I win the lottery though! (e.g. just buy the LT version) :-)

Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 PM

Garage
My 2016 Versys 1000LT came with color matched hard cases. The first thing i did when i got it home was take the side cases off and store them. Hard cases just get to scuffed up for me throwing a leg over the bike and if you drop the bike and mess one up its 600 buck to replace one. I have a Givi E-55 top case i use on my bikes and i had soft saddle bags on my Versys 650 that i used. Like the soft bags because if you drop the bike or kick the bags no big deal....But thats just me....

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 11-03-2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
My 2016 Versys 1000LT came with color matched hard cases. The first thing i did when i got it home was take the side cases off and store them. Hard cases just get to scuffed up for me throwing a leg over the bike and if you drop the bike and mess one up its 600 buck to replace one. I have a Givi E-55 top case i use on my bikes and i had soft saddle bags on my Versys 650 that i used. Like the soft bags because if you drop the bike or kick the bags no big deal....But thats just me....
I hear ya on the soft saddle bags. As mentioned I have some Cortech saddlebags, but they get in the way when the wife rides, plus I want something that can be locked and more waterproof.

Got a quote back from a local dealer that the KQR 28 Bags would be $1107. Nope!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:22 PM

Garage
Quote:

I just got a 2016 Versys 650 and am looking to add a top case. What mounting brackets did you use? The guys at Revzilla pointed me to this one (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017) but it says in the description that the max load is only 13 lbs. Did you use the same brackets for your Givi E-55 top case? I have been looking into the Givi V47 top case, however it's max load is 22lbs.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonkdzn View Post
I just got a 2016 Versys 650 and am looking to add a top case. What mounting brackets did you use? The guys at Revzilla pointed me to this one (https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-2015-2017) but it says in the description that the max load is only 13 lbs. Did you use the same brackets for your Givi E-55 top case? I have been looking into the Givi V47 top case, however it's max load is 22lbs.

Thanks

On my 09 pictured above. I had a Givi Monokey Rack...On my 2016 Versys 1000LT i have this....Givi SRA4105 Rear Rack for Kawasaki Versys 1000 (2012-current) | Accessories International ( I've never paid attention to the load limits ) So far so good.....

Givi Rack by weljo2001, on Flickr

Givi E-55 Topcase by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
Old 11-07-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonkdzn View Post

Thanks
If you're just adding a top case, you can get these to mount a Givi monokey case:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIVI-SR4114...FZVqda&vxp=mtr

GIVI M7 Monokey Plate | TwistedThrottle.com
Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...( I've never paid attention to the load limits ) So far so good.....
Nor have I. I figure those "load-limits" were written by (or recommended by...) the corporate lawyers.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Old 11-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Garage
Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

I ended up ordering the Givi SR4114 brackets, Givi M7 plate, Givi E135 LED brake light kit, and the Givi V47NNT top case. I hope it all works out
Old 03-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Garage
^^^ Did it?

so it goes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
givi, kqr, racks, saddlebags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in