Windshield Option - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Windshield Option

Here's a windshield option that was brought to my attention. They will even give you $60.00 credit for you competitor's windshield.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Versysprod.html

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor

Last edited by dallasdon; 11-12-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 AM

You would not be sorry. I have the XL on my V and the cold weather protection is fantastic. I like to look through it....I'm 5'8". Mark Lawrence is great to deal with and the shield comes with a micro-fibre cloth and recommended cleaning solution. Best investment one can make IMO....it's also nice to be able to drill more mounting holes for even more adjustment..........I just tried to post a pic, but the file size is too big.....

Last edited by redline; 11-12-2008 at 09:01 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 AM

FYI

The stock mirrors hit this shield before the bars reach full lock.
Extenders do not help, they raise the mirrors too which still lets them hit.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudarra View Post
FYI

Good to know. Anyone have a work around for this?

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
FYI

Absolutely not. If the mirror stalks and levers are adjusted properly, they DO NOT make contact.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Absolutely not. If the mirror stalks and levers are adjusted properly, they DO NOT make contact.
um, ok.

But they did, and I have my mirrors adjusted properly.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
um, ok.

But they did, and I have my mirrors adjusted properly.
I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry.....I should have stated that they can be adjusted so they don't make contact. "Right or correct" is a relative term at best. Mine are adjusted so they mirror stalks are exactly vertical, and the bars adjusted slightly downward {done before the 'shield anyway}, and there is a good 1/8-1/4 inch clearance between the stalks and the shield. The way mine came from the Dealer left a little to be desired, and I had to tighten or check everything...not to mention we all will customize the bike so it feels good to us.....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
I guess I should have been more specific. Sorry.....I should have stated that they can be adjusted so they don't make contact. "Right or correct" is a relative term at best. Mine are adjusted so they mirror stalks are exactly vertical, and the bars adjusted slightly downward {done before the 'shield anyway}, and there is a good 1/8-1/4 inch clearance between the stalks and the shield. The way mine came from the Dealer left a little to be desired, and I had to tighten or check everything...not to mention we all will customize the bike so it feels good to us.....
Ah. I understand now.

Did you rotate the bars back to bring them down?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Ah. I understand now.

Did you rotate the bars back to bring them down?
Yes, I did. I lowered them to the point that there is fuel tank clearance and then adjusted the stalks accordingly....worked great and more comfortable.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 AM

I have the Calsci shield, in fact it is my bike that is pictured in the Calsci web site. The one with snow in the picture.

Redline is absolutely correct,you can adjust the bars or mirrors so there is no contact with the shield. When I put my shield on the bars and mirrors were in the stock location, and there was no interference. Maybe some difference in how they were positioned from the factory.

The adjustment if any is needed, is very small, and doesn't make any difference in what you see or don't see in the mirrors.

I have had the Calsci for quite a while now, and am still very satisfied with it.

A couple of friends have other shields on their bikes, and I have ridden theirs, but I still feel the Calsci gives the best results.

One thing I have noticed, is the Calsci seems not to scratch as easily as some shields.After a lot of cleanings, the shield is still relatively scratch free. Although I am careful when cleaning .

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
I have the Calsci shield, in fact it is my bike that is pictured in the Calsci web site. The one with snow in the picture.

Redline is absolutely correct,you can adjust the bars or mirrors so there is no contact with the shield. When I put my shield on the bars and mirrors were in the stock location, and there was no interference. Maybe some difference in how they were positioned from the factory.

The adjustment if any is needed, is very small, and doesn't make any difference in what you see or don't see in the mirrors.

I have had the Calsci for quite a while now, and am still very satisfied with it.

A couple of friends have other shields on their bikes, and I have ridden theirs, but I still feel the Calsci gives the best results.

One thing I have noticed, is the Calsci seems not to scratch as easily as some shields.After a lot of cleanings, the shield is still relatively scratch free. Although I am careful when cleaning .
I agree August, the shield seems to be made of a much better material than others I've owned.......I've experienced the same results.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM

Hey August, while you are here......if you had to choose between your two bikes {C14 and the V}, and your primary use was light touring, commuting, and to just go out for a ride, which would be your choice, if you could only have one???? I SERIOUSLY like the C14, but the reasonable, sensible side of me says that I can buy TWO Versys for the price of a C14.......
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:12 PM

Redline.

I have thought about that, and at the present time, I don't think I could pick just one.

I am getting a little on the old side,(68) and sometimes I think the C-14 is a little bit too heavy. If I happen to lay it over, I'm not sure if I could pick it up any more.

The Versys is not a light weight by any means, but I have picked it up a couple of times when it leaned over too far, thanks to the kickstand not being all the way down.

The C-14 is the smoothest, most powerful, most refined,quietest bike I have ever owned, and every time I ride it and feel that smooth acceleration that makes you hang on tight, I just grin and laugh out loud. This thing is just an absolute joy to ride. It corners, stops, starts,does slabs,and accelerates with anything that has saddlebags, and does it better than most.

At the present time, there is no way I could part with the C-14. I still do enough different kinds of riding that I could not get by with just one bike.

Having said all that about the C-14, the Versys gives me the same kind of good feeling when I ride it.

A group of us (most of them on KLR's) ride together and take a lot of gravel road trips with some highway and mountain curves thrown in.

The V feels so light and nimble and handles the gravel so well that I just couldn't do without a bike that does some adventure touring.

In the mountain curves the V is superb, it corners and accelerates out of corners so quickly and easily, that I hate to leave the curvy stuff and head for home.

At any rate, to answer your question, at the present time I just could not pick one bike. These two are the best bikes I have ever owned, and I have had quite a few since I started riding in 1949.

I can see a time if I live long enough, that a big bike might wind up being too big. If and when that time come, a bike like the V would be the logical choice.

Sorry to ramble, Regards August

Anybody else think these buffalo wings taste a lot like chicken?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Concours
2008 Versys
Restored 69 Honda Trail 90
Whizzer motorbike
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

It's interesting that you should pose that question at this time because I have just sold my Honda ST1300 because of the weight. I find that the V will do just about anything the ST1300 would do except weigh in excess of 700 lbs.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. You have quelled my thirst for "the other side". I've owned the ZX12's, ZRX's, FZ1's and on and on....{never a "touring bike though}.....but to be honest, I can't find a better bike, past or present that can do what this one does for me.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM

Hello August
I've just purchased a 2008 versys and have been looking to accessories. I saw your bike's photo calsi.com, What kind of luggage and fairing guards do you have ?

Thanks
Ruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode