• 2 Post By Rebel13
  • 1 Post By Rmplstlskn
  • 1 Post By Rmplstlskn
  • 1 Post By Rebel13

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
QUALITY LED "Flush-Mount" Turn Signals?

Although I have a V1K, the 650 side is the most active, so I will ask this here...

Anyone know of any "exact fit" FLUSH MOUNT LED turn signal options that are not the useless, dim Chinese lights?

Even with frame sliders, it looks like the turn signals will take a hit on any drop or slide, and from others experiences, this will break the EXPENSIVE fairing rather than the signal stalk break or bend. So it would be nice to put on some QUALITY, BRIGHT LED turn signals that are flush mount, or close to it, so that the fairing is no longer a sure-thing damage item.

The ones I have seen on eBay are mostly ridiculously dim TOYS (I bought a set for my V-Strom and it was useless) and their "no modification needed" claims are BS, as they will not fit in the Kawasaki turn signal cup in the fairing, just as they did not fit in the Suzuki fairing cup.

Anyone do this mod?

Rmpl

2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT Goblin Green
2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
2012 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior V8 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2017, 12:05 PM

Flush mounts by design are HARD TO SEE. So if your goal is to be seen you should re-evaluate your goals .
quexpress and 16VGTIDave like this.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Add LED/ Remove steel keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
Although I have a V1K, the 650 side is the most active, so I will ask this here...

Anyone know of any "exact fit" FLUSH MOUNT LED turn signal options that are not the useless, dim Chinese lights?

Even with frame sliders, it looks like the turn signals will take a hit on any drop or slide, and from others experiences, this will break the EXPENSIVE fairing rather than the signal stalk break or bend. So it would be nice to put on some QUALITY, BRIGHT LED turn signals that are flush mount, or close to it, so that the fairing is no longer a sure-thing damage item.

The ones I have seen on eBay are mostly ridiculously dim TOYS (I bought a set for my V-Strom and it was useless) and their "no modification needed" claims are BS, as they will not fit in the Kawasaki turn signal cup in the fairing, just as they did not fit in the Suzuki fairing cup.

Anyone do this mod?

Rmpl
First I speak from experience, the black plastic piece where the signal is mounted in, is listed at $180 Canadian, my dealer gave me a discount, as he does with everything else I buy from him. First go out and try flexing the signal, the plastic flexes about the same amount as the signal stalk. Take your plastic off and remove the metal keeper inside the stalk, trust me if it poped out, you would need two good hands, the plastic on some solid surface , removed from the bike, to get it back in, what am I saying, the metal keeper prevents the rubber portion to flex within the mounting of the plastic, instaed the plastic flexes and I can say, there was a 2 inch portion that broke due to fatigue , the rest was from my low speed crash. I removed the metal keeper on both signals now, and would suggest you do that to the rear signals if you don't have any side cases or crash bars.

To prove my point, try pulling forward or pushing towards the rear of the bike and watch the plastic flex. Next remove the plastic and remove that metal keeper, while the plastic is off, try and force the signal light out of the plastic, move it forward and towards the rear of the bike and notice the flexing of the plastic is greatly reduced, instead the rubber now has a chance to flex. Word of caution here, make sure you have a thin slot screwdriver and possibly a second person around , just in case you succeed , as it is a real challenge to get that rubber stalk back into the plastic.

As to your original question, mounting the original lights on crash bars may be a option, what has already been suggested I agree with 100%, if you don't care if opposing traffic really can see your signal lights, someone in front didn't see you signaled a lane change and cut you off, you crashed your bike, the police not only observed the damage and noted you were lucky to be alive but they were also going to charge you as having a unsafe vehicle because you modified/ removed the OEM signal lights, that were required to meet highway safety regulations.

Funny thing, in our province, those over 25 year old bikes that had no signal lights, still meet the requirements for driving on the road, however many have added after market signals for safety reasons. That is the reason I added the LED on the Barkbusters.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-14-2017 at 08:34 AM.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:51 PM

Garage
Focus on learning how to ride rather than a fall!
onewizard and Urbanengineer like this.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
Novel idea! Thanks...

Old 10-17-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Next remove the plastic and remove that metal keeper, while the plastic is off, try and force the signal light out of the plastic, move it forward and towards the rear of the bike and notice the flexing of the plastic is greatly reduced, instead the rubber now has a chance to flex.
Yes, the stalk has very little bend, unlike the bendy ones I have on my Suzuki. I will look into this "metal keeper." If I can make the OEM stalk more flexy, that would be awesome!

Those LED strips look like a nice addition!

I should also mention that on the V1K, the turn signals are mounted in the very expensive colored fairing that wraps around the entire front of the bike. Big $$$$

As for nubby signals mentioned by others... If an LED is bright, it will be noticed by the traffic on the side of the turn indicated, the important side. Until I find something bright, I am staying with my OEM blinkers.

Rmpl
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 10-17-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Motorcycle Safety Course

Quote:
I can say after 46 years of riding and several courses, it is easier said than done. Sort of like a buddy I worked with years ago, his saying was if you aren't bleeding you aren't working, this from a guy missing a finger from a table saw. Guy fell off a portable school roof while installing a triplex power cable, needed 9 stitches to close the damage, was back on the job the same day, said there were more stitches where those came from.
All my crashes are low speed , under 20 KM per hour, two I had grounds for a law suit, both involved dumping gravel deeper than 4 inches on a county road, neither had flagmen and the grader was miles down the road, funny thing is, one happened last year and the other 40 years ago..
Old 10-17-2017, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Only Select Dealers / V1000 Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
Yes, the stalk has very little bend, unlike the bendy ones I have on my Suzuki. I will look into this "metal keeper." If I can make the OEM stalk more flexy, that would be awesome!

Those LED strips look like a nice addition!

I should also mention that on the V1K, the turn signals are mounted in the very expensive colored fairing that wraps around the entire front of the bike. Big $$$$

As for nubby signals mentioned by others... If an LED is bright, it will be noticed by the traffic on the side of the turn indicated, the important side. Until I find something bright, I am staying with my OEM blinkers.

Rmpl
Little disappointed, the dealer I got my 650 ABS 2015 from never brought in a V1000, also has a X300 but never sold one this year.

One thing to look for is a good crash bar, also many new mounts coming out for mounting LED lights on crash bars. One thing I would put at the top of my list now, would be Barkbuster guards and Oxford heated grips.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Little disappointed, the dealer I got my 650 ABS 2015 from never brought in a V1000, also has a X300 but never sold one this year.
Yeah, the salesman of the dealer here in central Virginia near Fredricksburg said that he was surprised the V1K didn't move faster than he thought it would. Most go the 650 route. He rode a V1K at a Kawasaki event and was very impressed, but sales of the V1K lag behind the V650. Probably why mine was a NEW 2016. But I am happy! I love the Candy Lime Green color!

I decided to not go crash bars and went with a good frame slider instead. Since this will never see anything more "off-road" than fire roads in the forests, I wanted to keep the sleek design that bars bent everywhere would detract from. I am slowly adding farkles as my wallet allows. I just splurged on a Shoei Neotec helmet, a purchase I should have done from the very beginning, as the sound level while riding has gone down CONSIDERABLY and my Cardo Scala Q3's sound so sweet in. You get what you pay for it seems...

Rmpl
onewizard likes this.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
I can say after 46 years of riding and several courses, it is easier said than done. Sort of like a buddy I worked with years ago, his saying was if you aren't bleeding you aren't working, this from a guy missing a finger from a table saw. Guy fell off a portable school roof while installing a triplex power cable, needed 9 stitches to close the damage, was back on the job the same day, said there were more stitches where those came from.
All my crashes are low speed , under 20 KM per hour, two I had grounds for a law suit, both involved dumping gravel deeper than 4 inches on a county road, neither had flagmen and the grader was miles down the road, funny thing is, one happened last year and the other 40 years ago..
Some folks are accident prone, some folks are careless and some folks just don't belong on a bike, the cold hard truth hurts! Also some things are bound to happen no matter what you do. If most of your attention is for prevention and preperation, you're better off not riding at all! Skill will help more than any bike protection or safety feature. Riding in itself has large risks and must be considered before you ever get on!
onewizard likes this.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:00 AM

I installed R&G Racing brand low profile LED turn signals. I used the Aero style but they have others. They are super bright, much more so than the factory originals. They are small enough not to hit the pavement in a tip over, and they look nice on the bike.

Installing them will require a small adapter plate. R&G also sells a ready made adapter kit for a low price.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Some folks are accident prone, some folks are careless and some folks just don't belong on a bike, the cold hard truth hurts! Also some things are bound to happen no matter what you do. If most of your attention is for prevention and preperation, you're better off not riding at all! Skill will help more than any bike protection or safety feature. Riding in itself has large risks and must be considered before you ever get on!
Sometimes sh1te just happens... What got me looking for this option was an inane event at a local Chick-fil-a. It had rained that night and the parking lot was wet. I pulled into a parking slot normally, nothing looked unusual. After putting it in neutral, I put down my left foot to push me back into the position I wanted to park in and immediately my left foot began to slide outwards. The weight of the bike then shifted to the left as my left foot slide out. I was able to muscle it from tipping over once my foot regained traction a few inches further. It had some pucker factor for that brief moment. Once off, in the right light, I was able to see a greasy spot where I put down my foot. The shine of the wet asphalt hid it, as on dry days that grease spot is easy to see, but not that day.

So as I ate my breakfast, I pondered what would have happened if I dropped it out there. I think the frame slider would have worked as designed, but those turn signals stick out pretty far, and it is already known by others here that the fairing will bust before the turn signal stalk, so why not look for an alternative that will result in nothing more than butt hurt pride and maybe a scrape of the bar end?

For I know stupid crap can happen sometimes...

Rmpl

Last edited by Rmplstlskn; 10-18-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 PM

find an ER-6n..they had flush turn signals in their fairings...
Old 10-19-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
find an ER-6n..they had flush turn signals in their fairings...
This might work! Thanks... I'll have to compare to what I got OEM now and see if it is where I want to try going.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
led turn signals, turn indicator, turn signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in