Anyone have any experience with these crash bars? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tomica28
  • 1 Post By mentolio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone have any experience with these crash bars?

Black Crash Bar Engine Guard Frame Protector for 2015-2016 Kawasaki Versys 650

Cost about two hundred, but more importantly looks to offer both fairing AND lower case protection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 AM

Out of China so they are a knock off of somebody else's design.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Garage
Not good pictures, but welds look sloppy...

But tubular steel is tubular steel, pretty much, without getting into fancy metals.

Rmpl

2016 Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT Goblin Green
2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS
2012 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior V8 4x4

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmplstlskn View Post
Not good pictures, but welds look sloppy...

But tubular steel is tubular steel, pretty much, without getting into fancy metals.

Rmpl
ya ive seen better welds in the jr high welding shop... and some of the pinch points look like the pipes have been creased (greatly weakening them)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 04:25 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Yeah the welding isn't stellar, but the design looks to be offering pretty much complete protection for the sides including turn signals.
You don't need it to support a dump truck, even with less than perfect welding it should still handle 220kg easily, it's steel after all.
The only downside I can think of (if you can call it that) is that these seem to be pretty bulky and not exactly pleasant to the eye.
But in terms of fairing and engine protection, they look pretty damn solid to me.
It's up to you in the end, of course, and it depends on your style. I imagine you won't be doing super crazy track days with that bike anyway so you should be fine.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:48 AM

I just had them put on my bike. No real experience yet but I like the “tough” look. The welding is alright but I think the connection to the engine guard look abit cheap.
7000thb=$220 here in Bangkok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4585E0CC-FEE4-4085-9DAF-9EBD87D90EC0_1527230898973.jpg (17.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg B9FD785C-27EE-4415-AC37-5C9496D9C09E_1527230922943.jpg (22.0 KB, 58 views)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 AM

Garage
Those have been posted a few times on here and I think I recall people having trouble with the installation.

I swear by these from Touratech. I had a low side last year when a car pulled out in front of me and they saved everything but the turn signal.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I went with the Chinese bars, after a little back and forth with the "make an offer" function. According to tracking information, they should be arriving at my doorstep today or tomorrow. Assuming there are no major malfunctions (wrong item, two lefts, etc.) I'll keep you all posted.
While I think the eBay bars look pretty cool, I can't argue that the Touratech bars are cooler, although they don't seem to offer any lower end protection. In spite of that, I may go with them if I don't like the eBay bars. Thanks for your input!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM

Garage
I would expect wall thickness and steel type would or could vary. I would stick to brand names like SW-Motech, Tourtech, Givi and RG since prices seem similar if it was my money.

Now there are at least 4 or more name brand manufacturers who make these for the Versys. When your bike wants to "lay down and rest for a while" engine bars will pay for themselves in saved damage to fragile plastics. They also may make the difference between a totaled bike and minor damage in a low side, I've low sided with them and speak from experience.

Last edited by twowheels; 05-29-2018 at 08:36 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...They also may make the difference between a totaled bike and minor damage in a low side, I've low sided with them and speak from experience.
Me TOO - w/ Hepco-Beckers on my '08. Just some scratches and a bent shift lever.

On the other hand - ME? Couple of busted ribs....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 PM

Garage
Hello, I ordered these bars few days ago. It should came next week. After I install them I would post some review and pictures. I found review from one buyer:

"Good alternative to Givi
Arrived quick. Welds aren't great but same as Givi at half the price. Installed quick on a 2016 Versys 650."

Cheers
otto_versys_blotto likes this.

Kawasaki Versys 650
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well they are installed. I pretty much hate the way they mount, but can't argue against their solid feel. These bars really seem to offer a lot of protection, more so I think than many of the alternatives out there (admittedly based not on experience but internet research).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tyof45mRgRFzVPfq5

Ugly welds: yes...but most of my own welds are less than beautiful, and I have had none fail yet. Quality control left a bit to be desired. I had to space the left side foot peg out by almost a quarter inch so that the shift linkage didn't hang up on the rear mounting bolt (also had to grind on the bolt head a bit). The lower sections went on easily enough (after figuring out the spacing/bolt/linkage issue), and though I had my doubts, seem rock solid.
I would definitely not hesitate to tie the bike down or suspend the bike up in the air using the lower bars. The upper bars gave me a problem, primarily due to crappy link/mounts to the lower bars, and the left bar being shorter than the right. A bit more spacing (aka: strategic placement of washers) got the top bars mounted adequately.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jz5u2LBeBqWf524t9

The look: straight Road Warrior, if you ask me. I really like the way these bars look, and also like the way they are shaped. I believe these will do what I need them to do, aka: keep me from being pinned under the bike in a crash, and protect expensive body and engine components in a tip-over (hoping to never have to find out for sure).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pHfcCbGRwro1kLsD9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SGdhsRHGYRJHCRfb8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qRjVP2HMHCUFSddm8
Why don't all manufacturers of these crash bars give you a front and riders view? Wouldn't it be helpful to have an idea of just how far they stick out?

My gripes? I wish the hardware was a little heavier duty, tho all the bolts are stainless steel, so I can't complain much. Obviously I would like better quality control, but I'm paying $200.00 including shipping from another country and so can't really complain about that either. I was in contact with the seller via email, and they seemed very attentive and concerned about my issues. This winter I may come up with an alternative means of mounting the upper bars, clean up the welds a bit, add some small structural improvements, and have them powder coated...we'll see. For now, I am satisfied with these crash bars.
NightRider likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode