(MK2) Little help with Givi Racks/Luggage - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By fasteddiecopeman
  • 1 Post By Doug Just Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(MK2) Little help with Givi Racks/Luggage

So, I've been thinking of going with a trunk on my 2014 (30L Monolock). Was looking at the SW Motech Alu-Rack. However, I've also been thinking about the V35's from Givi. I like that I can still get the color panels for them. The trunk seems convenient as it's top loading, so it'd be good for getting take-out and such.

Anyway, my question is thus:

When I was looking at the V35's and the PLX racks, it asked about a 'fitting kit'. I assume both the side racks and rear rack utilize the passenger grab rail mounts. Anyone had an alu-rack from Motech and the PLX racks? Any problems? Is there a different rear rack I should get from Givi if I plan on getting the V35 racks later on?

Past Bikes: FZ8, CB500X, Boulevard M50, Gladius, CBR250R, Blur SS220i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Givi Trekker

I have had the V35 and now the 33 liter Trekker cases. I would never buy the V35 cases , unless this is going to be a show bike and appearance is everything. I have photo's of both on this forum , however to explain the difference, the V35 left case always has everything fall out when on the kickstand.

The Trekker has the option of top loading or suitcase opening, just a matter of flipping a lever inside, second thing is I can put my left case on the right side of the bike and the right on the left. What I have done is put reflective tape on the side and rear of each case, thus designating what is left and right. The second thing is even though they weren't designed as auxiliary crash protection, I have gone down 3 times now, twice on pavement and once on gravel.I have better photos , just waiting for some possible changes.

Plus I have backed into a Subaru I own and put a ding in it, gees it almost sounds like I should stop riding. Well the gravel was grounds for a lawsuit with the county, 6 inches deep gravel would cause even a car to lose control, the ding, was the car parked too close to the garage and I was backing out, going down on pavement all under 3 KM per hour, one was some bad news on my cell phone with a full tank of fuel, not fully focused and doing a 180 turning left, still in second gear, the other , again not fully focused with what my riding buddy was doing and the choice of rear ending him or push steering and front braking, I chose braking ,which is what I did, again below 3 KM per hour, told my riding buddy the bike needed a rest, that is when I discovered the tip over switch locks out the ECU and keying off is the only way the bike will fire.

Last edited by onewizard; 10-06-2017 at 08:34 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

a little "dig" at Glen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
...gees it almost sounds like I should stop riding....
Um - perhaps......

Quote:
...one was some bad news on my cell phone with a full tank of fuel, not fully focused....
Don't they have laws AGAINST distracted-driving in Ontario?

Quote:
...that is when I discovered the tip over switch locks out the ECU and keying off is the only way the bike will fire.
'Member what I told you about reading the OWNERS MANUAL? It's FULL of good stuff...!

weljo2001 and Skypilot 69 like this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

Fully Expected / Possibly Wrong Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Um - perhaps......

Don't they have laws AGAINST distracted-driving in Ontario?

'Member what I told you about reading the OWNERS MANUAL? It's FULL of good stuff...!

Noticed a OLDER guy logging in and fully expected, and then I thought possibly it should be posted under crash report, just so this thread doesn't get sidetracked as as a Mod were not suppose to do that, however just goes to show you I make mistakes, and early in my life I have had a few occasions when the magic smoke escapes. For those that want to know start a thread Magic smoke and what is it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Noticed a OLDER guy logging in and fully expected, and then I thought possibly it should be posted under crash report, just so this thread doesn't get sidetracked as as a Mod were not suppose to do that, however just goes to show you I make mistakes, and early in my life I have had a few occasions when the magic smoke escapes. For those that want to know start a thread Magic smoke and what is it
IF we're honest - we ALL have to admit to doing something that "slightly preceded" an UNEXPECTED RESULT....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbreeze View Post
So, I've been thinking of going with a trunk on my 2014 (30L Monolock). Was looking at the SW Motech Alu-Rack. However, I've also been thinking about the V35's from Givi. I like that I can still get the color panels for them. The trunk seems convenient as it's top loading, so it'd be good for getting take-out and such.

Anyway, my question is thus:

When I was looking at the V35's and the PLX racks, it asked about a 'fitting kit'. I assume both the side racks and rear rack utilize the passenger grab rail mounts. Anyone had an alu-rack from Motech and the PLX racks? Any problems? Is there a different rear rack I should get from Givi if I plan on getting the V35 racks later on?
I have a Gen3, but I've put lots of Givi and SW-M stuff on prior bikes. For questions of compatibility across manufacturers, I've found the experts at Twisted Throttle and Revzilla to be very helpful -- I'd say to ask them if you haven't yet. As for the side v. top opening issue, I find top opening cases to be much more useful and space-efficient, but I've seen V35s on the Versys and they DO look great...
onewizard likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies folks. After looking at some different trunks, I'm just not even going to worry about it. Found the Givi V47 Top case and I honestly see no reason why I would ever need more space than that. Probably just use a smaller one (like a Shad SH29 or 33) for day-to-day and pick up the bigger one for overnight trips.

I've never had a trunk in the past, just saddlebags. I like how skinny the bike is and feels and want to try to keep it that way.

Past Bikes: FZ8, CB500X, Boulevard M50, Gladius, CBR250R, Blur SS220i
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2017, 05:32 PM

Garage
I've had my V35s on 3 bikes now. I really like them. I also have the soft luggage that goes inside them so no worries about anything falling out. I do like how they have the color matched panels which I have had on all 3 bikes.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode