Color match for side engine covers = black? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Color match for side engine covers = black?

I have an "08" Versys and want to paint the plastic side engine pannels from silver to black (and eventually the wheels also). I am gatehring info on how to do it and what paint to use. I have considered having it done by a paint shop or getting a rattle can and doing it myself. Of course I want it to look factory quality (or better) and last. Only have one set so I am hesitant on the rattle can idea for color match, durabilty and looking like @#$%%.

I know people have done this from pictures in this Forum. What paint has been uesd, how did you apply it and are you happy with the results? Glossy, semi-closs, flat? Is there a thread that already goes into this? I've been looking but have not found a how to and what paint exactly was used.

Thanks in advance for your help and information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 08:26 PM

I haven't done it yet, but I have plans to. I spoke to one rider who had done it and I am pretty sure he used Krylon Fusion for plastics in a matte black. I think since the finish will be matte, it's a little more forgiving. As such, I think the rattle can approach should be okay. That's what I plan to do unless someone makes a strong case here that it's not a good idea.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM

Its easy...and inexpensive. whether you use Krylon or "bumper" paint (what I used) the key is in the prep. Take the parts off...abrade them with fine sandpaper or a scotchbrite pad. Clean parts with plain soap and water, then dry. Apply paint in sweeping motion, evenly and in thin coats. I would apply one coat, then let cure for a half hour / hour at room temp, then apply another. After about 4-5 coats...let cure over night. Thats it. My parts have held up well, even survived a couple of carwashes (hand wand). I used Canadian tire bumper paint (satin). Cost...about $6 and your time. Can't tell If I did it or it came stock.

Danger

Rick Danger
07 Versys
04 100 ci Merch V-Twin Custom
03 WR 426

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 10:29 PM

If I may, Do not use a matte or flat paint as you will continually have to repaint as it will stain with dirt, etc. I have used a gloss black high tempature brake caliper paint (VHT brand from Kragen/Schucks). I sprayed it on as it is a rattle can, completed three coats and used a Infared heater (about 160 degrees) to cure out the paint. It did not come off with any standard chemicals and easily withstood the local powerwasher. It was the best eight dollars I've spent.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by versysrider26 View Post
If I may, Do not use a matte or flat paint as you will continually have to repaint as it will stain with dirt, etc. I have used a gloss black high tempature brake caliper paint (VHT brand from Kragen/Schucks). I sprayed it on as it is a rattle can, completed three coats and used a Infared heater (about 160 degrees) to cure out the paint. It did not come off with any standard chemicals and easily withstood the local powerwasher. It was the best eight dollars I've spent.
That sounds good versysrider. Definitely worth considering for added durability.

Can you post a pic so we can see how the gloss black looks?

Chris in Oneonta, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM

I tried the matte/flat black Fusion from Krylon and it didn't look right. The gloss is definitely the way to go. The surface texture of the plastic keeps it from being too shiney.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Great information. I was hoping I could paint it as opposed to having it done. It's 1st on the to do list now that the tail chop is done.

Thanks again for the response.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM

Here is another thread about painting these parts. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ghlight=fusion

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post
I spoke to one rider who had done it and I am pretty sure he used Krylon Fusion for plastics in a matte black.
Dragonbreath doesn't want to call me out but I'm pretty sure I'm the rider . I did use Krylon Fusion, an idea I took from this forum (see above post), but in satin black not matte. Initially, I used gloss black but I didn't think the shine matched the rest of the black on the bike.

As for prep, I only wiped them down with a Wurth product (can't remember which) to get them clean and then I painted. They have held up perfectly except for the one near the rear shock. I knocked a chunk off of it while adjusting preload .

Rod in Fort Bragg, NC

Last edited by AAParatrooper; 11-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAParatrooper View Post
Dragonbreath doesn't want to call me out but I'm pretty sure I'm the rider .
Yep. You're the one. They looked really good to me. I've been planning to follow suit, but I never seem to get that far down my list before something else comes up.

Regardless of the painting method used, the black panels are the way to go. I wish I could swing getting the wheels powder coated black as well, but I think that will have to stay below a bunch of other stuff on the farkle/mod list.

Chris in Oneonta, NY

>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 PM

I would post pics but it was done on my bike which I no longer have; DRZ400
I would add, if you paint any plastic part that has no current paint on it you should use a plastic primer to prep prior to painting. Note that a good plastic prep will cost about $30, but it well worth not haing your paint fall off.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 PM

Just finished painting side panels around radiator with Krylon Fusion Satin paint.......What a cosmetic improvement. Satin almost matches chin spoiler black perfect...well good enough. Will paint a few more pieces then post. Worth the time and effort.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:56 PM

Bear how's it going ?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Can't complain, you?

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 AM

snow is finally melting around hear. Seattle is not known for snow....it really dumped. While stuck in house I decided to paint parts. Also recieved new corbin seat for naked SV. Corbin customer service terrible but will enjoy seat. Happy New Year....let's hope.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

I went for a nice ride yesterday. I wish I was a better photographer. I see plenty of nice photo ops, but I can make 'em look bad with one push of the button. It's a little chilly today, 46 degrees. I was hoping for at least 65. Oh well, maybe tomorrow...

I've been wanting to paint my silver bits black as well, but have been too lazy to do it. I really want to paint my wheels black, but I'm reluctant. There's been so much chain lube & road grime on them I'm afraid the paint won't stick. I've also considered powder coating, which seems expensive, time consuming & a lot of work but the results might be worth it.

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:47 PM

stick to the fairings and leave your wheels alone. I did paint front fender and givi windshield as well. Looks abit streetfighterish. Very nice and worth the effort.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Pics?

Why did you paint your fender?

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 07:38 AM

Cosmetic reasons only....Looks outstanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode