USB power, voltage, temperature in one - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
USB power, voltage, temperature in one

I'm looking to fill one of the circular cutouts in the dash area of my 2016 Versys 650 with everything I want. I want to have battery voltage, a USB charging port, and an air temp indicator. I can find 2 of the 3 items in one but not everything in one. I might add the gear indicator later when I can stomach the price but I'd like to leave that side open for now.
I had air temperature on my old bike and I liked to see follow the trends as I rode. I'm definitely over thinking this but maybe there is a good solution someone has found already.
Maybe the best is to add a simple air temp gadget next to the usb/voltmeter.

I was considering this one with 2 USB ports and a voltmeter before thinking of the temperature.

I also saw one like this with voltmeter and temperature for a cigarette socket:

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My answer for the thermometer part of your quest was to get the Velcro in place unit from Formotion. It looks cool...but it would be cooler if it worked. I have been happy with the voltage gage & usb charging unit.
aboyandhisversys and b3d3g1 like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm still debating but I think I might get usb/voltmeter like I the first picture and then a small digital waterproof and hardwired theremometer like this:
thermometer.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Digital-...dp/B00D7A7CQ0/

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3d3g1 View Post
I'm still debating but I think I might get usb/voltmeter like I the first picture and then a small digital waterproof and hardwired theremometer like this:
Attachment 131810
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Digital-...dp/B00D7A7CQ0/
A similar option would be to stop by a pet shop & get a battery powered terrarium thermometer. It wouldn't need a hole cut in the dash and would be powered by a watch battery. It would also have a wired remote sensor that you could run to an area with clean air for an accurate reading.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
All the displays I was finding on amazon/ebay were basically pet store or lab equipment displays. might be good enough but I had a hard time finding one that was waterproof, hardwired, and reading in Fahrenheit .

I found this one from Blue Sea. I've used them for my wiring needs at work and personal projects and they make good quality parts.
1741.jpg
https://www.bluesea.com/products/174...rature_Monitor
Looks like it's brand new this month so might not be available for a few weeks. MSRP is $61 but other sites already list it at $45.
This will install easily in the 2nd hole in the dash and match the color of the gauge back light. Also waterproof.
I don't think I really need to the gear indicator anyways. This next to the USB/Voltmeter will probably be what I want.
twowheels likes this.

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:11 AM

Will that voltmeter be accurate? I'm assuming there will be some degree of voltage drop in the circuit, but maybe it'll be accurate enough?

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Just Doug View Post
Will that voltmeter be accurate? I'm assuming there will be some degree of voltage drop in the circuit, but maybe it'll be accurate enough?
I'll be using the existing wiring from the factory and the Kawasaki relay for the power source for the voltmeter. I'm assuming the power lead comes straight from the battery before the relay so the voltage drop should be negligible across the relay. Even if the cheap gauge is off by a few tenths of a volt, I'm still ok. It's mainly there to monitor battery health/performance and charging system performance so trends are probably good enough.
Doug Just Doug likes this.

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 PM

My husband put the one in the first picture on his 2017 1000LT. It looks nice and he has no complaints!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM

You can pick up the voltmeter/usb combinations off Wish.com for cheaper than ebay and amazon, which is a good thing since they tend to die easily. they all ship from china unless you want to pay $20+ for a US supplier of a $2 item. I've gone through 3 on my '08 Versys. My next one is going to have an on/off switch so I can turn it on /after/ the bike is running to protect it from the start-up voltage spike.

If you do get the voltmeter/usb combo, take the back off and pull the circuit board out, then coat the circuit board in silicon caulking to help absorb the vibrations of the bike. My first one the rf choke on the board broke off because of how fragile the wiring was.
b3d3g1 likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The Blue Sea temperature item is now showing not available until November on their website so I'll guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer.
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for the Kawasaki Relay to arrive which was ordered from Kawasaki parts house but I did receive the USB/voltmeter in the first picture.

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
My answer for the thermometer part of your quest was to get the Velcro in place unit from Formotion. It looks cool...but it would be cooler if it worked. I have been happy with the voltage gage & usb charging unit.
Is your Formotion dead? Mine works very well attached to my handlebars -
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:26 PM

The only thing I want is a simple LED light that glows red when there's a homicidal cage driver in my vicinity.

It would be nice to have directional lights pointing out the direction of the cage driver's approach, but I'll settle for the simple LED first.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
Is your Formotion dead? Mine works very well attached to my handlebars -
90 deg shown.... 50 deg in garage
threw it in the freezer for half an hour & it went down to 60
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
90 deg shown.... 50 deg in garage
threw it in the freezer for half an hour & it went down to 60
return it to Fomotion, they'll repair it. I do have a spare if you're in need however.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 06:47 PM

I bought one of the temp gauges off eBay (just temp and plugs into a power outlet) and it doesn't work well in sunlight..........too dim. Looks good in the shop though. I gave it to my brother to use in his pick-up.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyandhisversys View Post
return it to Fomotion, they'll repair it. I do have a spare if you're in need however.
I appreciate the offer but it's more of a "shiny" for me and I'll most likely mail it back to them when the snow removes any doubt about the conditions.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the offer but it's more of a "shiny" for me and I'll most likely mail it back to them when the snow removes any doubt about the conditions.
I'd mail it now and then they have all winter to fuss with it. (I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy; do it now .vs. later)

On the other hand, they fixed/returned mine in about 10 days.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I bought one of the temp gauges off eBay (just temp and plugs into a power outlet) and it doesn't work well in sunlight..........too dim. Looks good in the shop though. I gave it to my brother to use in his pick-up.
Very true, I installed the 12v adaptor and Kawasaki Gear Indicator and I bought a cheap amazon 12v plug in with RED display and usb port, and while it was accurate "I tested it with a good voltmeter" when you were riding in the sun it was mostly invisible while the Kawasaki Gear Indicator was bright enough to be easily readable. I took it out and use it in my Challenger now, so look for one with bright display, and if you find one let us know about it!

2016 VERSYS 650 LT
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
after many many many months of delays, the Blue Sea air temp sensor was finally released. I installed this weekend and it looks pretty good. I used the Kawasaki relay and volt meter / usb charger from amazon.

Easy install and has a temp probe with about a 12 in lead from the gauge, but I think you could easily lengthen it. The back of the gauge has a 4 pin screw terminal connector. The probe is mounted in direct air flow just under the head light body work.

dash.jpg

2016 Kaw Versys 650 LT
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
If your Formotion is behaving badly, contact them. They'll fix it for nada. Mine died, and they fixed and returned for 0$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode