Seat concepts seat....Not thrilled - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Seat concepts seat....Not thrilled

I must say I'm a little disappointing in the quality of the cover...its not the materials its the fit. Pulling it tight enough to get the wrinkles out the seams don't line up on the edges right. the strings don't line up with the holes in the pan when the cover is centered. Basically its gonna look like a$$ when I finish. I think I may just take it to an upholsterer maybe they can make it work better.... was hoping for more....

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your difficulty and disappoinment. I've done two of their kits, Versys and KLR650, and both went on easy. I admit I have some prior experience with dirtbikes and a couple other streetbikes, but I found the foam and covers spot on.

In the past, when I've helped friends, I've found they try to install the cover too cold and they get in too much of a hurry with the staples. I install the cover warm and stretchy, get a couple staples front, middle, rear, then install the seat on the bike and get an idea of where the rest of the staples go. YOU WILL have to remove some of your staples and reshoot.

On the Versys, I found it easier to install the rear first, shoot about 2/3 of the staples, then I installed the front portion.

I posted a Seat Concepts install helper thread with some pics. Search the name. I hope it helps.

Its not a crime to get the help of an upholsterer.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Took me about 10 minutes to determine that the skill needed to make the fit look perfect far exceded my level of ability. Took it to a pro. Looks like original equipment.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
A heat gun or even a hair dry can be helpful. Just make sure you don't overheat the vinyl with a heat gun.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

When its all done is the cover night tight to the riders seat? mine doesn't seem to want to get snug against the foam underneath.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 PM

Garage
I took mine to a upholster after struggling for a bit, and seeing that there would be some major wrinkles.

When i picked it up, he said it was a easy install, but he had to use his steamer. Heated the seat cover up and then it shrunk tight to the foam as mounted. There is no "extra" material or wrinkles on mine. Looks stock.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips...the other issue I have is finding a staple gun that will penetrate the seat pan. I have an electric one and a manual one and neither can get a 1/4" staple completely into the pan. The manual one does better it uses T-50 staples. I even tried a professional grade stapler and it was worse than my Stanley Heavy Duty model...I can't see shelling out the coin for a pneumatic stapler...

Halfthrottle

Last edited by offcamber; 06-07-2012 at 07:30 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Thanks for the tips...the other issue I have is finding a staple gun that will penetrate the seat pan. I have an electric one and a manual one and neither can get a 1/4" staple completely into the pan. The manual one does better it uses T-50 staples. I even tried a professional grade stapler and it was worse than my Stanley Heavy Duty model...I can't see shelling out the coin for a pneumatic stapler...
That was exactly the issue I ran into when I redid the seat cover on my Nighthawk S. After wasting a couple of afternoons running around renting/buying/returning different staplers (I don't an air compressor) I took it to a pro. About an hour and $50 later I picked it up and it looked perfect...I'm going straight to the upholsterer with the SC seat, hopefully this weekend...

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 AM

The guy who did mine said it was a little tricky in that area as well. Not sure what he did, but it looks perfect. I'm glad I paid someone, I probably would have screwed it up and not been happy with it.

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Well sort of an update....

I took the seat over the a local guy that specializes in upholstering car seats and stuff like that. He looked at it and agreed with my assessment that the workmanship wasn't great. He noted a few spots where the stitching wasn't done correctly. He felt with a little work he could get to come out right and that he would mostly likely need to add some thin foam to get a nice taught finish. Hopefully I will have it late Friday or Saturday. This guy does some really nice work....a real craftsman.

I'm glad I took it to him instead of botching it myself.

I don't know if I just got a bad cover, or maybe with the current run of Versys orders they are rushing them through production.

Halfthrottle
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 04:12 PM

Bundy is a local guy to us, have even ridden with him. They are subbing out the cover production, they make the foams. If the cover was really bad I'm sure they would replace it for you. They are a small family company and stand behind their product. He is genuinely interested in having only happy customers.

That said, it's a cheap way to get a lot better seat than the oem. I have one on my husky, but did the custom versys seat myself.

A regular T50 stapler with monel staples will work fine, you finish them off with a tack hammer. Done a BUNCH of seat covers over the years. But you do need strong hands, another pair doesn't hurt either. (hands that is. )

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

So an update to the update....

I got the seat back and the guy did a great job....the seat looks very good....there is the one blemish where the cross seam was stitched incorrectly even he couldn't get it to lay right but over all I'm happy with the look. Won't be able to sit on it till later...and with storms rolling in won't get a test ride till tomorrow

Halfthrottle

Last edited by offcamber; 06-09-2012 at 08:07 AM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Anxious to hear you review. Mine will be here tuesday.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter84 View Post
Anxious to hear you review. Mine will be here tuesday.
Wow just about to pull trigger on one with slightly firmmer foam??
Maybe I'll look at balwin again??
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan2112 View Post
Wow just about to pull trigger on one with slightly firmmer foam??
Maybe I'll look at balwin again??
Well you need to compare apples to apples as the SC seat is a lot cheaper than the Baldwin seat.

Sitting on it and taking it for a very short test ride it seems to have a similar feel as the Sargent seat.

Halfthrottle
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM

I'm an literally working on installing one of these at this very moment. I just popped inside to look up the installation post by Retro Rocketeer, to get a refresher and/or tips, when I found this thread. I hope I have good luck with this, or it's off to see a professional. And then I'll look for an upholsterer...

I'm using the Harbor Freight 20 gauge air stapler I picked up for $22 right after I ordered the seat kit. If anyone uses this stapler, 90 psi is too much, 70 psi seems to be just right.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:22 PM

I salute those who did it themselves and are satisfied with the outcome. Since I quickly realized that I didn't have the necessary skill (and I do have a compressor and staple gun), I took it to a professional. He said that he had to use his steamer for a good fit.

"A man's got to know his limitations." -- Dirty Harry

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

I got in a longer ride yesterday. I put my air hawk pad on and adjusted the pressure to just about zero....This is the best combination I have had yet....good seating position, no slide and support. I think this is as good as I can get without going to a full custom seat.

I'm going to add some hwy pegs and I think I will be GTG!

Halfthrottle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode