New motorcycle specific garmin GPS - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New motorcycle specific garmin GPS

Food for thought..

Garmin just introduced a new motorcycle specific GPS unit.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/g...ic-zumo-350lm/

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:10 PM

As soon as i get an extra 700 bucks ill get one.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM

I think if I was going to spend that $ for a GPS, I'd give strong consideration to a Garmin Montana first. I'd have to come into some money though. :-)

Someday is not a day of the week.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
It looks to have what Navigon call Reality View which i really liked it showed the overhead road signs exactly as the appear and the lane you need to be in has an arrow so you don't have to listen to voice directions

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
DR_

It's called lane assist and pretty much all newer units have it.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
It's called lane assist and pretty much all newer units have it.
Then i guess its time to trade in my Zumo 550..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

“The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” – Albert Einstein
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Click the link and then read some of the reviews. Not very impressive for that amount of money.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Then i guess its time to trade in my Zumo 550..
Hey Joe - when you do, I'll give you $50 for the OLD 550....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Hey Joe - when you do, I'll give you $50 for the OLD 550....

You'll be first on the list...Now wheres my sharpie and toilet paper..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:34 PM

waaaaaaaaaay overpriced

'09 Candy Plasma Blue Versys 650 (the fastest color)
Givi DS 450 Windshield
SW motech engine guards
HT Teton Panniers
Acerbis handguards
Avon Distanzia tires
Garmin Zumo 665
dual power usb/12v plug
Givi trunk on custom mount

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 04:33 AM

Crazy price! I'll stick with Garmin MXT on my smart phone, and use a waterproof casing.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 05:35 AM
vp7

I'd really like one of the Zumo's but don't understand why the price is so much higher for basically changing the software a little bit and making it waterproof. Especially since most of the normal one cost only $100-250.

Rip-Off

Moon Dust Gray Versys, with lots of farkles.

Vlast

P.S. I bought my Versys to support my photography hobby.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vp7 View Post
I'd really like one of the Zumo's but don't understand why the price is so much higher for basically changing the software a little bit and making it waterproof. Especially since most of the normal one cost only $100-250.

Rip-Off

+1
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp7 View Post
It's because it has the word "motorcycle" attached to it... and they know how stupid we can be with our farkle money. We've all often paid much more than we should have for items related to our motorcycles... but that's just our lot in life I suppose...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Too much money...I'm done with dedicated Turn by Turn GPSR's Smart phones can do the same thing and the maps are updated all the time for no extra charge. The market must be very small for motorcycle use since Garmin is the only one left that makes motorcycle specific GPSR's. I would consider one if they could make an affordable version without all the bells and whistles.

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
Too much money...I'm done with dedicated Turn by Turn GPSR's Smart phones can do the same thing and the maps are updated all the time for no extra charge. The market must be very small for motorcycle use since Garmin is the only one left that makes motorcycle specific GPSR's. I would consider one if they could make an affordable version without all the bells and whistles.
I didn't see it stated anywhere but I thought the Garmins that end in LM came with lifetime map updates. Still toooooo much money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode