Question for the electrically inclined... - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question for the electrically inclined...

If want to add some led turn signal strips to my handgaurds, and am wondering if I can just simply tap into the existing turn signal lines. I know that you require resistors if you replace the stock signals with LED, but what it you use the LED in conjunction with the stockers. Would the LED's draw too much additional current?

Here are the lights I am looking at in 4.7 inch, orange. I was going to use them to line the ribbing of my handgaurd. I think it would give excellent visibility, especially when up close to vehicles in traffic.

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

Any help is appreciated!

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM

I did just that when I bought mirrors with LED turn signals built in. Left the OEM signals there and tapped in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Here is a rough image of how they look... I would make mine look a million times cleaner though!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Wow quick reply! Thanks Bones, I just wanted to make sure I had everything needed when it came time to install
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM

IIRC, you will want to tap inboard of the connectors that allow you to remove the small side covers. That way you can still remove those side covers without having to undo your new connectors for the LED blinkers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2019 F750GS
2014 R1200RT
2008 Versys (SOLD 11/19)
2003 ST1300ABS (SOLD 5/15)
IBA 59868
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiotix View Post
If want to add some led turn signal strips to my handgaurds, and am wondering if I can just simply tap into the existing turn signal lines. I know that you require resistors if you replace the stock signals with LED, but what it you use the LED in conjunction with the stockers. Would the LED's draw too much additional current?

Here are the lights I am looking at in 4.7 inch, orange. I was going to use them to line the ribbing of my handgaurd. I think it would give excellent visibility, especially when up close to vehicles in traffic.

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

Any help is appreciated!

[email protected]
Can't help you on your question

My instinc says that you can tap directly to the blinker

But I just wanted to clarify something
LED don't draw a lot of current, wayyyy less than conventional lighting
So don't worry about that part of the equation, especialy if the electrical system was design for a incadescent lighting

Cheers

LOP
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 03:52 PM

Garage
Since the bike will still have the regular signals you dont need to use any resistors. They are needed when you switch to straight LEDs as the bike puts out the proper amount of power to signal a regular bulb but LEDs use far less. Since you still have the regular bulbs you are still using that power. LEDs use so little power that they will not over draw the system either.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Great, thanks guys... I knew that LED's use minimal power, but I wasn't sure if LED combined with incandescents would put it past the tipping point. I'll post pics once installed

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode