Alternative to Side Cases . . . - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alternative to Side Cases . . .

This past week, I fitted a set of Nelson Rigg CL950 saddlebags and a Rigg CL75 Mini-Sport Tail Pack (which sits on the passenger seat) to my Versys. It took less than 10 minutes to get the whole set adjusted, strapped and clipped in place. The bags all clip to each other, so they can come off as a unit (for an overnight stop or for longer storage) and go right back on without having to be readjusted. The combination looks good, holds LOTS of stuff, and was perfectly stable during a 45-minute test ride in gusty winds at highway speeds and through sharply curved roads. The total package cost me less than $200 - I got it at http://www.newenough.com and I'm sure it's available elsewhere, too - so I thought I would mention it as an alternative for those of you who (like me) don't want to permanently mount a set of side cases, but who want room for stuff when you take longer trips.

Happy Riding!
Kevin McClearey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 PM

Those are some nice bags, thanks for the info. and the link. I was looking for something that could be removed entirely because I like the look of the bike so much in stock form.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Want a Picture of the Luggage on the Versys?

I'm glad the information was helpful! I like the stock lines of the bike, too. If you would like a couple of snapshots of what my Versys looks like with the luggage on it, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send 'em to you. I'll make them small files - and, if you want a larger/better picture of one or more of them, you can just let me know.

[Same goes for anyone else who is interested. I don't have an account at Photobucket or a similar place, so I can't send you there to see pictures, but I am glad to share photos of the Nelson Rigg luggage on the Versys. It should go without saying, but here it is: I will NOT forward your e-mail address to anyone, sell it to or share it with anyone, or use it for any purpose other than sending you the photos you want. Quite a world, isn't it, when we have to keep our addresses secret so we don't get flooded with crap?!]

Kevin

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 PM

Tourmaster soft luggage

Check out this system, fits great and has expandable sides on all three pieces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_SANY0152.jpg (5.5 KB, 570 views)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Question would love to see pic.

I like the price much better than the givi system. I am just not sure what route to go. i would hate to scratch my bike.

my e-mail is [email protected] if you don't mind sending a pic
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

The pics will be on the way in just a few minutes, Tim.

The Nelson Rigg saddlebags come with a very tough and soft foam underpad to protect your paint. All you should need to do is make sure that you remove the luggage regularly and wipe down the pad and the surfaces on which it rests - that should take care of any grit that might manage to get between the foam and the finish!

Kevin
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Pics of Nelson Rigg Luggage

I decided to go ahead and set up a Photobucket account, so here are pics of the Nelson Rigg luggage. I'm going to trim the foam underpad a bit, but otherwise it's great! I've also discoverd that a bungee cord (shown in the view from the rear) is NOT necessary to keep the saddlebags in place, even when they are lightly packed and I'm riding in gusty winds on rough roads.

The whole package unclips from two mounting points, lifts off for an overnight stay in a motel room, and clips right back on the next day in the same position. I love it!

Happy Riding!
Kevin
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 PM

That is a real nice look.

newenough is a great place to get stuff.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM

Greetings Kevin,

Nice looking rig you got there and thanks for the link as well. Are those knobbies on you Versys? Nice setup, I plan to do that same with mine; after I buy one of course.

Have you gone on any long camping trips on it? Visited any nice National/State Parks yet?

I plan to do that for most of next year so Im here gathering Intel.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Ah, so you're with the CIA, dstarman? That's the "Campsite Intelligence Agency," of course . . .

I haven't had the Versys on a long trip yet, but it will definitely take me on some journeys later this year. I'm probably going to go to Florida to visit my brother in late September or early October . . . and sometime in August I'm going to just go on a "rideabout" for 7-10 days with no particular destination in mind.

I'm not sure whether I'll be using the Versys to carry a tent, bedroll, etc. I'm sure it would handle the load well. It's me who is the "weak link." I've got an arthritis-like condition that I can tolerate while taking long rides, as long as there is a good bed at the end of it! When I camp and sleep with the groud as my bedsprings, it's at the end of a day's gentle float in my solo canoe, since I have plenty of time to stretch before turning in and after I get up. I have joked about figuring out how to attach a hitch to the Versys so I could tow my canoe (it's shell is ultralight Kevlar - only 31 pounds for almost 16' of boat!). That would be my ideal "getaway" package!

If you end up routing your trip next year through southern Illinois, be sure to let me know. I can get you some "Top Secret" information about camping in the Shawnee National Forest and keeping yourself from getting overrun by either hordes of equestrian trail riders or pods of meth-cooking a**holes who use the forest as a base from which to raid local farms and cook and distribute their crap. It's getting harder and harder to get away from it all . . .

My son and his best friend did a 10,000 mile circuit from Illinois to Colorado to Alaska and back two years ago - riding Harleys! They plan to do it again in a few years, but this time they are going to ride KLR650s. Ah, to be young, flexible, strong and foolish!

Happy riding and intel-gathering,
Kevin
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention the "knobby" tires, dstarman. They are Pirelli Corsa MT60 dualsport tires. Very grippy on gravel and dirt roads, but surprisingly smooth on highways. The only problem I'll probably have with them is that lots of folks report only getting about 3000 - 3500 miles from them. If that proves to be the case, then I'll be shopping for something more durable . . .

Economically,
Kevin
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:57 PM

Kevin,

Yeah, let me know how many miles you actually get on them; as you know all riders are not the same so some have a tendency to ride harder than others so everything wears faster for them.

I'm never in a rush so I don't push the bike any harder than I have too. My main concern about the knobbies was that I wasn't sure how well they fit on an alloy rim versus a dual sport spoke rim. I use to have a KLR but it was stolen!

Thanks for all the info and your rig looks excellent!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 PM

Kevin,

Thanks for the heads up on the knobbies I had planned on getting some myself rather than using the stock tires when I get my bike although that might change and use the stock tires until I need new ones and then switch.

Switching tires might change because I like to get other gear as well for the trip so it all depends on funds available at the time. I plan on going to every state this side of the Mississippi and Alaska if they ever send my passport. I guess I should apply for it soon then! lol

Seriously, I've gone across the US in 05 on a bicycle and this time its going to be a tad easier I must say. But I still like to camp more than I motel only because it's safer out in the woods rather than having to worry about someone stealing your rig while sawing logs.

You can bring your bicycle into the room in a motel but a MC would be a bit difficult; although I'm sure some guys do it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 10:18 PM

Sir: I just ordered some luggage from newenough. I liked the price and the look on your bike. I went with the same saddlebags and with the standard sized tailbag. I was out their door at less than 180. Now if I like it...................I'm a little concerned about getting some of my stuff in the saddlebags, but I will keep my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode