crash bars: - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
crash bars:

which crash bars really protect the versys better?

the hb and the swm seem to be the choice..albeit the vib's on the swm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 AM

Don't think there's really a definitive answer to your question. People have crashed with the various bars available (also Givi should be added to your list), but there really hasn't been testing of "what's best".

You can kind of tell by pictures how they might do, but aside from that reading crash reports is about the best we can do.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

i suppose something is better than nothing...perhaps this request is similar to "what's the best oil" and so forth.

like the hbs for the looks and the "no vibs", like the swm for past experience, the givi's never liked, and never liked them on other bikes either...however tunes change, yet they seem under covered

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
http://www.motobagaz.pl/gmole-swmote...10-p-1277.html

imo the best

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber

Seriously there are numerous threads ont his subject if you search the forum....Some love HB some love SWM....I perfer the latter...

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 AM

HB are not available any more. The choices now are now SW-Motech and Givi. See TwistedThrottle.com or similar retailer.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:28 AM
DR_

HB can still be found.

HB have 3 mounts. One mount to weak radiator that can bend easily in fall. Slightly smaller diameter that SW-Motech and if the bike is dripped it will rest on the crash bars.

SW-Motech are the most popular. largest diameter, and have three mounts. However when the bike is dropped the bars are so low that something else higher on the bike will likely hit the ground. These need to be used in conjunction with hand guards IMO.

Givi has two mounts and smaller diameter. Appear that the bike could rest on these if dropped without anything else hitting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
HB can still be found.

HB have 3 mounts. One mount to weak radiator that can bend easily in fall. Slightly smaller diameter that SW-Motech and if the bike is dripped it will rest on the crash bars.

SW-Motech are the most popular. largest diameter, and have three mounts. However when the bike is dropped the bars are so low that something else higher on the bike will likely hit the ground. These need to be used in conjunction with hand guards IMO.

Givi has two mounts and smaller diameter. Appear that the bike could rest on these if dropped without anything else hitting.
Would be interested in knowing where you get the diameter information from? Have the Givi's myself and they are hugely thick.

Also, the Givis do mount in 3 places. The exact same 3 as the sw moto do.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ View Post
hb can still be found.

Hb have 3 mounts. One mount to weak radiator that can bend easily in fall.

wrong

It doesn't mount to the radiator. The two sides are attached to each other by a piece of flat bar at the radiator.

IMG_0008 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Slammed into the side of a car and the H/B's came away scratched not bent....Last photo you can see where the right side mounts to the flat bar.

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133820 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 05-22-2012 at 12:13 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Would be interested in knowing where you get the diameter information from? Have the Givi's myself and they are hugely thick.

Also, the Givis do mount in 3 places. The exact same 3 as the sw moto do.

That info is on one of the many crash bar threads. The H/B's are an Inch i know for sure.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
...HB have 3 mounts. One mount to weak radiator that can bend easily in fall. on these if dropped without anything else hitting.
NOT my experience - "evaluated" my H-Bs at about 20mph in a classic low-side in a hairpin. They got 'scratched', fixed with about 4" of electricians tape, while my handguards needed a little filing, then a piece of reflective tape. (Check the 2 pics.)
And the shifter got bent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
wrong
X 2!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05404.jpg (50.4 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05405.jpg (47.2 KB, 541 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
HB are not available any more. The choices now are now SW-Motech and Givi. See TwistedThrottle.com or similar retailer.
I bought a set of the HB bars less than a month ago from here:
http://capitalcycle.com/

Brent

Current bike - 2007 Versys, black
Givi v46 topcase, Oxford Heaterz, Motowerks lowering blocks, Barkbuster VPS hand guards, Evotech radiator cover, Hepco Becker crash bars, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, Seat Concepts all carbon look seat
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 01:31 AM

I bought Hepco Becker's from here in April: http://www.accessoryinternational.com/

Took about 6 weeks to get them...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Twisted throttle states that the SW Motech bars won't fit on California model Versys without modifying emissions pac. True or false?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM

Here's the page where they say it: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/3855/788/
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaidaman View Post
I'm surprised no one has posted a canisterectomy howto.
Pretty much every make/model of bike has a thread on how to remove the CARB charcoal canister.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySpanish View Post
I'm surprised no one has posted a canisterectomy howto....
I DID.

Try SEARCH. I also mounted S-Ws BEFORE I removed the canister, and posted pics showing how you need to 'mod' the canister.

And, Invader came through and helped with how to rig up the various lines from the fuel tank, and I've posted THAT too.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 AM

My SW's did their job in an extreme crash test (pictures posted in another thread). I had to replace the crash bar on one side but that was much better than the alternative of a written off bike.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 05:59 AM
VOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by broham View Post
which crash bars really protect the versys better?

the hb and the swm seem to be the choice..albeit the vib's on the swm.
2011 Versys with SW Motech crashbars dragged under a truck for 300M. Pictures included.

After you see this your question will be well and truly answered.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20296

Voz

Sydney, Australia
2012 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
so, which came first in your case, the HB or SW? if HB, i'll know you came to your senses, but if SW, then i'll know why the BC LDB is the largest single purchaser of distilled spirits in the world.

the HB won't get the radiator at 20mph, but scorch the earth's surface at 40kph, the radiator is toast, and you're walkin'.
My '08 has H-Bs which survived a 15 to 20 mph low-side, and when I got the '09 I couldn't find anyone that had the H-Bs, so I ordered the S-Ws. They've only had to survive 'falling over' a few times in the garage... (ONE of which pretty much "scalped" me!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode