Stock mirrors - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Stock mirrors

Anyone know what the metal is under the paint?

I like my stock mirrors on the 2011 and it seems the rubber washer between the post and the nut works well to reduce vibes. Going to put the washers back on this weekend.

The reason I ask is because the one thing I hate about them is the height and where they are positioned. I mean I know I have nice shoulders but I can't keep looking at them while riding. I'm thinking about buying another set of the stock mirrors and reducing the up angle on them. Not sure if the metal will take the stress of straightening then rebending.

I'll see if I can mock up what I am trying to do and post a picture. Key goal is to bring them down a bit and then rebend a bit lower to get them out a little further.so instead of the bend being about 3 inches up make it like 1.5 to 2 inches up.

This should reduce the height and bring them a bit further out. Sadly it also increasing the chance of making them useless if I go boom. But if I slap bar ends on its the same difference so think that point is moot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bendhere.jpg (44.3 KB, 46 views)

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeV; 05-11-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:06 AM

The metal looks to be ordinary mild steel. You can check it by removing the mirror from the post and taking off the shimming components inside. The threaded end is not painted.

You can help make Clem a household name

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

I figured it was either steel or aluminum. Shouldn't be to hard to figure it out. thanks.

"Why do I ride?"

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM

I bought mirror extenders for my '08 V. I sourced them through this forum, from Speedy?
They work great for eliminating the shoulder in the mirror problem. When I am on the highway, if I want to see well enough behind to discern if I am being paced by a highway patrol car, I just pull in the clutch and drop the revs for a couple of seconds - presto - no vibes in the mirrors - clear view of who is back there lurking in traffic.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

I don't really need the extenders for what I'm trying to accomplish. I had looked into them though.

I want lower and wider. The vibe issue can be almost 100% fixed with a rubber washer between the posts and the mirror.

"Why do I ride?"

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I don't really need the extenders for what I'm trying to accomplish. I had looked into them though.

I want lower and wider. The vibe issue can be almost 100% fixed with a rubber washer between the posts and the mirror.
10-4 good buddy.

Can you post a pic of where you put the vibration eliminating washers? Thanks.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Sure I'm going to put them back on this weekend when I do I'll snap a picture.

"Why do I ride?"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode