Sargent seat arrived today - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sargent seat arrived today

FedEx delivered the new Sargent seat for my V a few minutes ago. Solid black, standard height, unheated. They probably had a few of them made up before taking orders.

Since it's raining at the moment, I cannot give a ride report, but I can give some initial observations after installing it on the bike and sitting on it in the garage. Unfortunately they're somewhat negative-remember, just MHO.

I had a deuce of a time installing the seat on the bike-if I got it to latch, the nose was too high. And if I got the nose in position, it wouldn't latch. I finally had to bend the seat pan to get everything in place properly. The seat pan is quite flexible-much more than either the stock pan or Corbin. Hopefully I won't have to remove and re-install it on a regular basis.

The rider's position is very close the stock position-which for me is somewhat cramped. I had taken a hacksaw blade to the padding at the hump of the stock seat and re-installed the cover so I could slide back about 1". That option is now gone.

There is a slight bucket for the passenger that doesn't show up in photos. I just don't understand why the seat makers put such an emphasis on the passenger's section when the vast, vast majority of cycles are ridden solo.

I measured the seat at the widest point for the rider, and it is about 1" wider. This should reduce the feeling of sitting on a rail fence.

The rider sits a bit higher because the padding compresses less than the stock padding, but it is not as 'hard' as a Corbin.

The cover is slightly more slippery than the stock seat cover, but much less slippery than a Corbin.

FWIW I have Corbins on two of my other bikes and have always been a fan of Corbin. I had contacted them to see if they would make a Gunfighter solo-look seat for the V and never heard back from them. That's why I tried Sargent.

I know Sargent has a 30-day return policy, so I have time to try it out before deciding if I want to keep it. I took a couple of photos to compare the Sargent to the stock seat-trying to be in the same position both times. HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SN851613.jpg (69.0 KB, 927 views)
File Type: jpg SN851614.jpg (65.5 KB, 867 views)

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Next time you want to do pictures from "the same position", secure the camera in a tripod.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
Mine is on the way...what I really want to know is does it fix the "slide toward the tank" issue. This is my biggest peeve with the stock seat. If the Sargent doesn't correct this its going back. From your pictures I'm not optimistic..

" I don't care about shinny chrome or loud exhaust, I don't ride to be seen, I ride because I want to disappear"

Halfthrottle

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Guys, it's hard to beat a Seat Concepts seat for comfort and value. I truly hope your seats work ot for you, but if they don't, consider seat concepts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if my attempt to show the two seats 'from the same position' did not meet your standards. I thought it would be better than no photos at all.

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliedog View Post
Sorry if my attempt to show the two seats 'from the same position' did not meet your standards. I thought it would be better than no photos at all.
Don't worry. Some people would bitch about being hung with a new rope
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
can't please everyone
I personally would have preferred a pretty girl included for perspective
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Seat Looks good. Nothing beats Corbin in my books.

Life is short, a midget told me that.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90t View Post
Don't worry. Some people would bitch about being hung with a new rope
Amen.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

First ride report

My curiosity got the better of me. Even tho the roads were still wet in places, and the sky was threatening, I went for a ride on the new Sargent seat-about 40 miles, just over an hour, on the back roads near here. My initial observation is mixed at best:
Since the padding compresses less than the stock seat, I'm sitting a little bit higher resulting in a little bit more leg room. And, since the Sargent is wider than the stock seat it is more supportive and feels like I'm sitting in a bucket seat even tho it doesn't look like much of a bucket when I look at the seat. No photos this time...
OTOH, the denser padding results in a harsher ride over bumps-the roads here are great, but not perfect-as tho I suddenly increased the dampning front & rear. Also the seat transmits more engine vibration, especially noticeable at lower rpm's.
AND the seat is significantly more slippery than the stock seat. I didn't find myself sliding forward over bumps, but I did under braking, especially downhill. I was wearing Firstear HT overpants, so maybe it will be better with jeans. Or maybe it won't be so slippery as the miles increase.
Also, finally, the seat felt short. No thigh support, like sitting on the edge of a chair.
At this point in time I'd say it's 50/50 whether I'll keep it or return it for a refund. Have to ride it a few more times before I decide.

Larry aka Charliedog
Bristol, TN

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post

As for as seats for the Versys the Corbin in my book is not a great choice. I've had a Baldwin,Russell Day Long,Corbin and a couple Kawi Gel Seats. The Corbin would come in last with the worst build quality of all of them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppastyle View Post
The extent of my aftermarket seat knowledge is limited to sitting on a Corbin in a gas station parking lot for about a minute and reading online. The Corbin was firmer but hard to tell. But I HATE the look of them. They have so many great looking seats on other bikes, and then there is the V.... The Sargent sure looks good, but they are quite new.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM

sargent seat

Mine arrived today also...I am impressed with the design and build quality

Slightly dished rider and pass. seat...no forward slope...i inch wider both
rider and passenger

a little fiddly going on, but I think that is the rubber bumpers it rides on
being a little snug

Will put some miles on tomorrow

RCF

Firmness of foam somewhere between stock and Corbin as I can recall

Last edited by rcfield; 05-09-2012 at 08:32 PM.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I went ahead and had a custom seat built on my seat pan. I don't carry passenger so I wanted all the room for me and the occasional Dry Bag strapped across the rear seat portion.

Shreaded some tight twisties and did some cruising and so far I really like it. Planning a 4000 mile ride this summer so I hope it works well.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:32 AM

So far, this doesn't fill me with the confidence of spending quite a lump of money on the Sargent.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Between the seat concepts thread and this one I will wait to the "ooh shiny new seat I love it" factor plays down on the reviews and people can provide actual length of time reviews. I'm pretty sure some owners will change their mind on their seats after a few thousand miles.

Who knows they may still love it and then I'll make a choice on what to do. Right now I'm testing the stock seat. Compared to the Low Gel Seat its a darn sight more comfy.

"Why do I ride?"

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Well... not to make this even more complicated for those trying to make a decision... but,

Don't forget that Spencer (in Florida) does a great job modifying out stock seats.

He did mine, and the total for me was less than 150 including shipping. No sliding forward, did the long distance mod front and back, lowered as much as he could (not much on the V seat), I'm very happy with it.

it's an option
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
Well... not to make this even more complicated for those trying to make a decision... but,

Don't forget that Spencer (in Florida) does a great job modifying out stock seats.

He did mine, and the total for me was less than 150 including shipping. No sliding forward, did the long distance mod front and back, lowered as much as he could (not much on the V seat), I'm very happy with it.

it's an option
How long were you without your seat?
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
How long were you without your seat?
hmmmm I think it was a bit more than a week. 4 days to get to Florida from Tucson and 4 back iirc.

I mean sure, it's a while. But there's a lot of things we can do with the bike idle. Radiator guard, grips, hugger, top box, side luggage... to name a trivial few
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:05 AM

If I may offer my 2 cents worth, I've had two Sargent seats on previous bikes. Both times they modded the stock seat to my specs. First on a 92 TDM and then on my BMW R1100RS. The atomic foam they use takes a while to break in. In both cases the more you ride, the quicker you get used to the firmer foam and at least for me both seats were eminently more comfortable than the stock ones. I do agree that the Carbon FX weave they use now seems a little more slippery than the old basket weave they used previously.
But overall big improvement. Also, they were very easy to talk with about what my preferences were and wanted feedback. Give 'em a call and tell them your experience. I think they will try and help make it right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode