Howdy,

I'm just about done modding the bike:

1) Motowerks Rear Lowering Link Kit
2) Lowered Front Forks
3) Corbin Seat
4) Givi Shield
5) Rox Risers
6) Motowerks Peg Lowering Kit
7) Ordered Red Versys Hardbag Trim to match bike (used to be black)
8) Mirror Extensions

**All I need now is a set of Hangguards for wind protection (and really just to finish off the look). I don't need aluminum reinforced guards (Not looking to spend $130) Anyone know of some well priced handguards that offer wind protection? I've looked all over the site but haven't really found any that aren't super expensive.**
Any ideas?

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Life is short, a midget told me that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
you might want to try powermads, or ktm handguards.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

These are the ktm ones.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.

Last edited by glowcat13; 05-07-2012 at 08:06 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:14 PM

Garage
Here is my Powermadd's in black with black text. I also have the optional extar wing things for better air protection.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

IMG_0136 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0019 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0018 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0003 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Anyone have a model # for the KTMs?

Choppastyle

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 PM

I wasn't going to spend a bunch for handguards until I saw the video on Twisted Throttle. The guy lowsided a Versys at about 30 mph and between the Barkbusters and the SW Motech engine guards it saved the bike from anything more than light scratches on those two componets. That's enough for me, sold!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 PM

Everything on your bike is exspensive ,you probably woulndnt be happy with inexspensive ones.i like my kawasaki oem all black and very heavy duty will do the job if your bike fallshttp://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/album.php?albumid=405&pictureid=2532
Bike World has generic $40 ones that arent bad?you can see them in my albums if you want
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 06:05 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Get bark buster storm..
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM

I was gonna order the acerbis guards that weljo pictured above, but they're not available for the new body style. I went with the OEMs. Not cheap, but comparable to the other aftermarket hand guards.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Polisport SM Line

http://www.polisport.com/motorbikes/produtos.php?ID=536

They offer full wrap around but the supports are made by plastic not metal. I have them on mine and they took a little work to fit, but now that they're on there they offer good wind protection and look stellar. The price is right also @ $56 for the gaurds and the mounting kit from OEMcycle.com

-Pat W
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Anyone tried these?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...A+BARK+BUSTERS

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

or these?

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...lds/web1001475

I really just want to get some bark busters. If anyone has one in mind that fits without a fuss and is under $100 please send me the name and link. I just need to be told what to do.......I think that will make me a good husband.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 AM

I'm more than happy with the KTM SMT handguards I fitted. Very good wind protection and reasonably cheap too.

And how to best fit.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ktm+handguards

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
One thing in favor of ones with the aluminum frame, and screw on plastic pieces - you can remove the plastics when it's warm to get airflow over your hands, and STILL have protection.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Old style KTM guards on the 2011.

I think they work well for wind. High speed go boom no idea and not really anxious to test. For low speed probably better than average.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_handguards.jpg (44.0 KB, 108 views)

"Why do I ride?"

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM

The Moose Racing handguards with aluminum backbone are under $70. So the price argument isn't there. They work really well on mine. Cycra is another very popular brand, they are a little more money. Of course there are others.

Handguards don't do much for wind protection. Possibly just a little bit if it's really cold out.

Plastic guards keep bugs and flying rocks off your digits. However they don't protect your levers in the case of a drop, which is the main reason handguards are installed. At least as far as I am aware.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM
GDI

I've got plastic handguards on mine. I didn't even know what an aluminum backbone was until after I had them installed. I like them for keeping my hands dry when it rains--which seems to be all the time lately. Plastic is all I've ever needed. . . .

GDI
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDI View Post
I've got plastic handguards on mine. I didn't even know what an aluminum backbone was until after I had them installed. I like them for keeping my hands dry when it rains--which seems to be all the time lately. Plastic is all I've ever needed. . . .

GDI

Got a Model / Part #?

Thank you,

Choppastyle

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Barkbuster Storm Handguards with Versys specific mounting kit made by Barkbuster - a review

Pros
- very strong and robust, backbone is attached on both sides of the grip and they provide significant tip over and crash protection because of strong aluminum backbone, the backbone is why these cost what they do, the clip on plastic shields/protectors are an almost insignificant amount $$ wise in comparison

- look good on the bike

- Barkbuster is a popular brand so replacement and different style plastic guards are avail

Negs
- the two small self tapping screws they supply to hold the plastic guard on the backbone (they screw in from the back side of the plastic protector) are steel and start to immediately rust although I suppose you could easily replace these. The other screws and bolts are aluminum and stainless

- hand guards IMO do not provide any significant or measurable level of increased comfort or warmth, get heated grips or gloves if you want warmth

- well over $100 with required fitment kit and shipping

- can interfere with some wider/more protective windshield designs (this goes for all hand guards)

- aftermarket replacement clutch/brake levers are usually only $20 and take 10 minutes to install with an Allen key

Conclusion
The hand guards are nice to have but for your farkling dollar they offer less value (bang for the buck) than other accessories I have installed on the Versys such as crash bars, Givi top box and VStream windshield.

Note the white barkbuster lettering is a sticker you don't have to apply

Screws that rust

Last edited by Sprocket; 05-09-2012 at 05:23 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post

- hand guards IMO do not provide any significant or measurable level of increased comfort or warmth, get heated grips or gloves if you want warmth

- aftermarket replacement clutch/brake levers are usually only $20 and take 10 minutes to install with an Allen key
- I think they do. And even if they don't protect from cold, they do from rain
- Sure they are, except when it happens at a beginning of a trip far from anybody that sells levers!

That said, I got my brand new Barkbusters from a friend for free(!). These unfortunately have the Barkbusters raised in plastic, they are not a sticker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode