Puig Sliders - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Puig Sliders

All,

Should be picking up a new to me 2011 today - will try to post some pics later. Looking at frame sliders; I have used T-Rex stuff before and have been happy. I see Puig has sliders available that look kind of cool in that they aren't very obtrusive and might blend in well - but wondering if anyone has installed them and/or crash tested them. Same for T-Rex - any input on installation and/or crash testing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Finally got around to installing my Puig sliders. Will post a couple of pics when I get a chance. Installation was pretty easy - no problem even with CA emissions gear. The only glitch was the bracket on the left side did not fit as closely as it could, and during final tightening it wanted to rotate - took me a while to get a good system since I was by myself. Having a helper would solve the problem in seconds. Also, as a lesson learned, the left side forward engine mounting bolt is tucked in from the fairing and requires a socket with extension - which made me worry about slipping and rounding the bolt since it didn't want to budge easily. However, if you remove the horn from it's mounting point you can get in from the side with a closed end wrench and get the bolt started without drama.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM

pics would be great as i've been thinking about these! good work

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Install of T-Rex fairing sliders and front axle sliders was easy. TommyLee posted some pix here: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...63&postcount=3. They don't look obtrusive when looking at the overall bike. Hope I don't ever have to crash test them!

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

I'll get pics tomorrow for sure, and I'll post a pic of the installation drawing as well as a reference.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

OK, here are the pics. The installation instructions recommend medium strength loctite; I did not do that since the factory manual doesn't call for it. Of course, the factory manual lists the nuts as one time use, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to either replace 'em or put some loctite on - though in a similar application on my DR650 with the same types of nut I use low strength, not medium. Medium might make me nervous especially with an internal hex bolt like they provide; if you didn't have a good fit and the nut decided to be stubborn... might not be good.

I'm not sure these are any better than T-Rex but I thought they blended in with the Versys' look a bit better. I do like T-Rex and their products though, have their front axle sliders and front/rear stands.

Install Pic:

Right Side:

Right Side Close-up - the Puig bracket basically follows the shape of the bracket above:

Left Side:

Left Side Close-up:

Left Side Bracket - you can see the bracket doesn't fit quite as tightly as the right side, though probably not an issue:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode