Givi Top and Sidecase Rack Install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Givi Top and Sidecase Rack Install

I have read quite a bit here about the racks, especially the part about the frustrating turn signal relocation issues. My racks arrive today and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me. I have installed Givi racks before and here's what I have found to be a constant. The instructions suck. You shouldn't tighten anything all the way until all the fasteners have been started. There will be alignment issues.

I am going with the standard not the PLX sideracks and the standard top rack. Any helpful suggestions? When I am done, I'll post my experiences here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Not tightening until things are aligned is an excellent piece of information. In my installation a bit of "strongarm" adjustment was necessary but nothing excessive.

Regarding turn signal repositioning, I decided to insert a three inch extension onto each turn signal wiring harness so the wiring wouldn't be stretched out and taut. Didn't like the prospect of that. I used same gauge wiring and butt connectors I had laying around and made the connection under the saddle so the extension couldn't be seen and would not be out in the weather.

Since then, over a year ago, things have worked flawlessly. I even managed to obtain about 1/4 inch clearance between the turn signals and the V35 bags so nothing rubs or rattles. It just takes a bit of patience.

Hope this helps some.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When I installed mine I taped a piece of string to the turnsignal plugs before I pulled (gently) them out. I also soldered in a few extra inches of wire to relieve any strain on the wires & my brain. Once the lights were on the new brkts I taped the string back on and pulled them back thru

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM

I'll be going through the very same thing later on the week. I have the standard mounts on order too. If I need to lengthen the turn signal wires a bit then I'll make up some extensions that'll plug directly into the stock hardware.

I've always found that the start all bolts before snugging any to be very sound advice. I also use a dab of BLUE Loctite on the bolt threads so they won't loosen over time and cause vibrations.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM

The relocation with the supplied bracket shouldn't take too long. I did my first one in 20 minutes. Once I knew what the deal was the second one took me 10 minutes.

I just unhooked the wires and rerouted them to get the slack I needed. I actually like them relocated. It brings them out a bit more for better visibility. I am the minority on that thought though I guess.

The easiest part was putting the brackets on the trellis and under the rear passenger pegs. From there it was all easy. Oh and once I relocated the lights I worked from the grab handle area down. With the racks on the 450kit hookup areas it was very easy to lock it all into place and place the trellis and foot peg brackets.

"Why do I ride?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

So you had enough wire to reroute? Most people don't. Where did you route the wire out? Do you have a pic?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Funny I should see you post today. Mybags & brackets showed up and I'm preping things now. I cheated a bit in that I bought the SW Motech brackets and the "Kawasaki badged V35 Givis" Can't say how the Givi guide is but the Motech is a pain. BUT if you take your time it will get you through. The key is to read and understand it BEFORE you start wrenching. The SW Motech guide for the KLR was no better or worse.

Thumbs up on everything on THEN tighten it down.

I hope to have everything mounted and running by bedtime tonight.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
So you had enough wire to reroute? Most people don't. Where did you route the wire out? Do you have a pic?
No picture but I can take one give me a few

"Why do I ride?"

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 PM

as requested

Please note I pulled the cables from the connectors and and then routed them and plugged them back in. Takes about 15 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg re-route_lights.jpg (78.6 KB, 137 views)

"Why do I ride?"

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM

Got them mounted and wired up in about 1 1/2 hours. Would had been less but I somehow pulled the tag light loose. You do NOT want to do that as I had to take half the bike, part of the garage and two cars apart to get that sucker back in.

They look good and if the storms blow out tonight I'll ride in tomorrow on it for the first time.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
djg

Givi has changed the turn signal brackets maybe twice, for different model years, I suppose. On my older rack kit, I was also able to use the relocating brackets without having to lengthen the harnesses. Somewhat similar to MikeV's pic but less visible. 2009 V.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I got it done this morning. It took about 2 hours with the signal relocation. The instructions were as expected. Terrible. Givi ought to be ashamed of itself for how routinely bad their instructions are. Even the pictures are bad. There were no instructions on using the top and side racks in conjunction with one another. There was some missing hardware and as usual lots of leftover hardware.

Do not tighten anything all the way until everything is assembled. Take a few turns on each bolt, then tighten when it's all together. You'll need that slack to get everything aligned.

I used a metric tape measure to measure the bolts provided. It made it easier to follow the terrible directions that way.

For the wiring, I unplugged the connector and completely pulled the wire out. Once I got the signals mounted I routed the wire back through between the bottom of the taillight and the black plastic dressing. If you look, you can see a natural gap there. On the right side the connector fit through when I gently pried a larger gap in between the taillight and the plastic dressing. I couldn't get it through on the left side, so I snipped the connector off, ran the wires through and heat shrink butt connected it back together. There was plenty of wire for this routing process.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM

I just threaded them back through the hole they came out of. Of course mine is a 2011 so YMMV.

Is that the Seat Concepts seat I see on your V?

"Why do I ride?"

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
I just threaded them back through the hole they came out of. Of course mine is a 2011 so YMMV.

Is that the Seat Concepts seat I see on your V?
Yes. Just mounted it today too and ran 40 miles. Definitely more comfy than stock, but because it is scooped in the rear it pulls me further away from the bars. Getting ready to order bar risers.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I got it done this morning. It took about 2 hours with the signal relocation. The instructions were as expected. Terrible. Givi ought to be ashamed of itself for how routinely bad their instructions are. Even the pictures are bad. There were no instructions on using the top and side racks in conjunction with one another. There was some missing hardware and as usual lots of leftover hardware.
Ok so why did you pick the E21? bags instead of others. I ask because im looking to get racks+panniers in June (givi vendor at americade).

Trying to determine which cases to get and would love to know why those over others such as the V35s, Trekkers, or E41', etc.

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM

I'm biased but I love my seahorse cases

That said before I decided to try the seahorse cases I was in love with the Trekkers. The top loading and side loading aspect on the cases were a huge selling point, but my wallet told me no.

"Why do I ride?"

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Ok so why did you pick the E21? bags instead of others. I ask because im looking to get racks+panniers in June (givi vendor at americade).

Trying to determine which cases to get and would love to know why those over others such as the V35s, Trekkers, or E41', etc.

I had them left over from years ago when I had another bike. Top loaders are easier to access on the bike and you can use more of the space than you can in side loaders. I also like the minimalist appearance. I buy cheap book packs, cut the shoulder straps off and they fit in them perfectly. I think Givi is crazy for not making 35L top loading side cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode