It Has Begun - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It Has Begun

The transition from a stock bike to an adventure tourer has begun. I have ordered an MRA Vario touring screen, T-Rex frame sliders, Givi racks and a Seat Concepts kit. I still want to install a 12V lighter plug. Have any of you done it, and if so, where did you mount it? I will also get some kind of throttle lock. I am getting psyched about my upcoming trip to NC and later in the summer to UT and CO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, nothing like the excited ramblings of a new Versys owner farkling the hell outta his bike! Hahaha!! Get after it Paul!!! What part of NC?

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Ah, nothing like the excited ramblings of a new Versys owner farkling the hell outta his bike! Hahaha!! Get after it Paul!!! What part of NC?
Laurel Springs NC. It's where the ADV annual Eastern Rendezvous is being held. ADV is kinda my home forum, as I am a moderator over there, so it's good to get out and see old friends and make new ones. This site is going to be infinitely more useful than ADV though. Versys information is buried hopelessly in one of 3-4 catch all threads there.

ps: I don't know what protocol is here for mentioning other froums. Let me know if I screwed up.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Laurel Springs NC. It's where the ADV annual Eastern Rendezvous is being held. ADV is kinda my home forum, as I am a moderator over there, so it's good to get out and see old friends and make new ones. This site is going to be infinitely more useful than ADV though. Versys information is buried hopelessly in one of 3-4 catch all threads there.

ps: I don't know what protocol is here for mentioning other froums. Let me know if I screwed up.

Mentioning other forums here is fine. Many of us belong to ADVrider, as well as many others.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The transition from a stock bike to an adventure tourer has begun. I have ordered an MRA Vario touring screen, T-Rex frame sliders, Givi racks and a Seat Concepts kit. I still want to install a 12V lighter plug. Have any of you done it, and if so, where did you mount it? I will also get some kind of throttle lock. I am getting psyched about my upcoming trip to NC and later in the summer to UT and CO.

What have you guys done for a lighter plug. Surely someone has done it.

Thanks
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:05 AM

I need to do some of those same things to my bike.
Laurel Springs NC is 88 miles from me
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 AM

I mounted my plug on the right lower dash. Bought a 12v marine plug and flush mounted it. Direct wired to battery for my battery tender. Nice and clean.

2008 Red Versys 16k miles
*Givi Windscreen*SW-Motech Evo Rack*Seahorse 720 Cases*Seat Concepts Seat*HID Headlight

1975 Honda CB200T
1976 Volkswagen Bus
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter84 View Post
I mounted my plug on the right lower dash. Bought a 12v marine plug and flush mounted it. Direct wired to battery for my battery tender. Nice and clean.

That was my thought. Do you have a photo, and what brand plug did you use?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Powerlet...http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehi...nt-kit-48/5/28

IMG_0390 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
What have you guys done for a lighter plug. Surely someone has done it.

Thanks
I have a bunch of plugs in my electrified Bags connection (sw motech) City tankbag.
I'm planning a trip this summer, and I found I really get by with USB and regular cigarette lighter plugs.
Found chargers for my camera battery that runs on 12V, so I'm all good for now

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post

That looks perfect for me Weljo. I assume you can disconnect the power outlet and hook up a tender. Is that correct?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
That looks perfect for me Weljo. I assume you can disconnect the power outlet and hook up a tender. Is that correct?

Its not on a SAE type plug. I also have 2 more outlets coming out of each side under the seat. One 24" and one 48" http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehi...-10-amp/383/28 i have a connection for my battery tender next to the powerlet connection under the left side of the seat.Also have a set of the powerlet jumper cables hooked up for "just in case because you just never know" http://www.powerlet.com/product/real...per-cables/410

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:34 PM

Here is Cap'n Kirk's 12v install. I did it on mine and it's handy, yet out of sight.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...462#post159462

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM

I think the most important thing is to "build ahead" of what gets you by and think about what you ultimately want to do to the bike. Do you want additional lighting? heated grips/clothes? All these things lead to adding in a fuse block w/relay. This is easily done first so you don't have to reroute all of your previous work. (plus, if you're an egg-head like me, you'll leave things plugged in/turned on and come back to a dead bike if you leave it "hot" all the time.)

I ran, for a short time, a one plug scenario and found myself quickly adding a tank bag and a bunch of splitters to various devices... ( Now: Phone Charger, GPS, XM radio and radar detector) This necessitated a power line from my fuse/block relay to the bag to a rope chain of 12v outlets. This may not be your plan, but just a "for example" situation.

Best of luck on your new adventures.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM

When I got my V, it had a cig lighter adapter in the left dash - I'll be moving that as soon as I get a chance.

Rain (or water from splashing through puddles) runs right down that dash surface, and with something plugged into it, the seal isn't water tight. Got a bit of rust on the USB adapter that was in it, as well as on the cig socket itself.

So, I'll be moving it to under the dash, likely not where the Capt'n put his, but actually under the front dash a bit. There's plenty of space, and I want the socket out of the elements.

Cheers, Jeff

Cheers, Jeff
--------------------------------

|
|

2010 Versys
SW-Motech crash bars & bash plate
SW-Motech quick lock rear rack
Two seahorse 720 cases / panniers
Givi wind screen
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Great suggestions coming in everyone. Thanks.

I have installed my MRA Vario screen. The jury is still out on it. My frame sliders are in. My racks, Seat Concepts kit and 12V power source are all due in today.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

It's Done

Well, I think I am done with my mods. My Versys is ready to set sail on its first long voyage next week.

The dash shot shows the Powerlet 12v power plug, the SW Motech bar risers, the cramp buster throttle assist, the Kaoko throttle lock and the MRA Vario Screen.

Here's a shot of the T-Rex Racing frame slider.

A rear view shot of the Givi racks and luggage.

And a side shot which shows the Seat Concepts seat.

My initial impressions of all the mods are very favorable save for the screen. For me, it needs to be about 4 inches taller. I can rest my hand sideways on top of the screen at interstate speeds and get a nice clam spot. As it is I get a slight uneven flow of air on the top half of the helmet. It's not bad, but could be better. With the Seat Concepts seat's dish, it pulled me further away from the bars, so I added the risers to compensate. The seat is WAY better than stock and in my opinion the best way to go for an aftermarket seat. The Kaoko throttle lock is ridiculously simple and effective...albeit spendy. The Zumo GPS is a leftover from my previous bike and works well. The Powerlet 12V power source is of VERY good quality . Cramp busters are great for long days on the slab and can easily be rotated under the grip to stay out of the way in the twisties. The T-Rex frame sliders are a good way and the least expensive way to get a little extra tip over protection.

I'll be able to give a more qualified report following my trip to VA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode