Lowered footpergs--Problem solved - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lowered footpergs--Problem solved

I have an '08 Versys and like many folks, find that the footpegs are about 2" too high. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. I also have an '08 Kawasaki Concours-14.

If you go to this website, Motorcyclelarry.com, and then go to the Kawasaki product page, you will find lowering hardware for the 14. Just on a hunch, I ordered two pair, one for the Versys. They are a perfect fit. 30 seconds to mount both. I did not even have to adjust the brake pedal. And just a simple adjustment to lower the shift lever. Too easy. Just for info. Cost is about $57.00 for a beautifully machined pair of lowering brackets that are already finished to compliment the Versys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 PM

Really interested in this set up can you post pics? PLEASE. Thanks will give the legs a break. THANKS
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 PM

RJ, any idea if the passenger pegs he offers will fit the Versys. My wife needs some more leg room and this looks to be a great solution.

Tx Machog

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Larry's & Footpegs for Versys

For those wanting photos, go to "Motorcyclelarry.com. I called them about an hour ago, told them about the pegs fitting the Versys, and they have already added the Versys with photos of the pegs. You will like dealing with these folks! Superb fit and finish.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Just ordered some.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 AM

I could really go for a picture of them on a Versys if anybody has one.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline john View Post
I did not even have to adjust the brake pedal. And just a simple adjustment to lower the shift lever.
The site says you need to adjust the brake pedal and switch and you said you didn't do yours. How does yours feel to you versus the stock set up? I have always felt as though the brake pedal required a lot of downward movement compared to other bikes I have had.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesmithiz
The site says you need to adjust the brake pedal and switch and you said you didn't do yours. How does yours feel to you versus the stock set up? I have always felt as though the brake pedal required a lot of downward movement compared to other bikes I have had.
If redline john's Versys was assembled anything like mine the brake lever was set too low by the factory. My rear brake didn't engage until the pedal was three inches below the footpeg. It was so bad that I cut my first ride short so I could get home and readjust my brake pedal. (I think the same person who adjusts the headlights also installs the rear brakes.)

I am really interested in this footpeg lowering kit, but I would like to see photos of the kit installed on the Versys first.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:37 PM

this looks nice but i just put some buell pegs on they end up about the same but 1.5 cm more to the rear if i look at the pic but they do need some ajusting (make them thinner) to fit
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:39 PM

steven1955, I've had my bike for two months (love it of course) and have the same issue with my rear brake. In the past I'd usually use both brakes but on my V the rear takes so much reaching I rarely use it unless I absolutely have to.

Owner's manual is great at saying how to adjust the brakelight switch for the rear but doesn't say anything (unless I've missed it) about adjusting the lever and I'm leary about tinkering on something so crucial to safety.

How do you adjust the rear brake? Thanks!!
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 07:51 PM

ET, if you are talking about the position of the rear brake pedal, you can raise or lower it to make it fit your foot more comfortably.

At the far end of the rear brake pedal, you will see the plunger that pushes into the rear brake reservoir. There are two nuts on this threaded plunger.

By undoing both, you can raise or lower the brake pedal-this won't effect the brake power, just your ability to stand on it harder maybe.

Here's the notes from the service manual. Tried to copy and paste the photo, so it made more sense, but not smart enough to do that. If some one can help me out, I'll post it. If not PM with your email and I'll send the picture with an attached file.

Machog

Brake Pedal Position Adjustment
NOTE
○Usually it is not necessary to adjust the pedal position,
but always adjust it when the push rod locknut has been
loosened.
•Remove:
Right Rear Frame Cover (see Rear Frame Cover Removal
in the Frame chapter)
Right Front Footpeg Stay (see Brake Pedal Removal) •Loosen the locknut [A] and turn the push rod with the hex
head [B] to achieve the correct pedal position.
If the length [C] shown is 70 ±1 mm (2.76 ±0.04 in.), the
pedal position will be within the standard range. •Tighten:
Torque - Rear Master Cylinder Push Rod Locknut: 18 N·m
(1.8 kgf·m, 13 ft·lb)
•Install the right front footpeg stay (see Brake Pedal Installation).
Torque - Footpeg Stay Bolts: 34 N·m (3.5 kgf·m, 25 ft·lb)
•Check the brake light switch operation (see Brake Light
Switch Operation Inspection in the Periodic Maintenance
chapter).
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Got it. Thanks Machog! This forum is awesome++!
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM

I just took a closer look at the Motorcycle Larry lowering kit.

The problem I see with the Motorcycle Larry design is that the relocated footpeg bolts to a single relatively thin aluminum finger, which is due to a tight clearance issue present on the Concours because of where the Concours shifter is located. I would be afraid to stand on the pegs, which is likely on the Versys in an Adventure mode. There is no clearance issue on either side of the Versys. The Versys could have a much stronger double finger design where the footpeg fits between the fingers, like the OEM mounting position.

I was going to purchase the Motorcycle Larry kit until I looked at it closely. Instead I sent a message to Speedy Gonzalez. Hopefuly he'll consider making a stronger Versys specific lowering kit.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:29 PM

This is what I'm using now. Buell Ulysses pegs but they have to be Modified a little. But they are cheap.

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmuch
This is what I'm using now. Buell Ulysses pegs but they have to be Modified a little. But they are cheap.
How much lower are they than the stock Versys pegs?

What did you have to do in the way of modification?

Are all Ulysses pegs the same?

And just how cheap was cheap?
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 08:52 AM

Not for sure if they are all the same. These are several years old. Used them on my ZRX. They drop around a inch. Need to drill out the holes and grind the back side untill they fit flat. (very easy) You can buy them for 40.00 a pair. Even from a harley dealer that handles buell.
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline john View Post
I have an '08 Versys and like many folks, find that the footpegs are about 2" too high. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam. I also have an '08 Kawasaki Concours-14.

If you go to this website, Motorcyclelarry.com, and then go to the Kawasaki product page, you will find lowering hardware for the 14. Just on a hunch, I ordered two pair, one for the Versys. They are a perfect fit. 30 seconds to mount both. I did not even have to adjust the brake pedal. And just a simple adjustment to lower the shift lever. Too easy. Just for info. Cost is about $57.00 for a beautifully machined pair of lowering brackets that are already finished to compliment the Versys.
I too, bought a set the other day and am pleased with the ease of installation...question I have is...does your pegs lay horizontal? Mine seem to be canted downward slightly. I e-mailed Larry and I'm awaiting his reply. I'm a bit concerned that in wet weather I could have a slipping off issue....it seems as though they need about another 1/8 inch of material on the casting boss where they sit into the factory "u" bracket....
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 PM

I too installed my pegs but I did not notice the tilt. I will look closer at the pegs tonight. I was thinking of adding some thin felt material behind the the peg because I have a habit of swinging my ankle thru the left peg and lifting it in order to grab the kick stand, then it comes down with a click. The felt would cusion and would lift the peg slightly.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM

I installed the adjustable MFW footpegs and I had a noticeable outward tilt to them. As it turns out, my problem was caused by having the wrong bracket.

I was under the impression when I bought them that they did not offer the bracket specifically for the Versys. I was advised to buy the ones for the Vstrom and drill the bore out to fit the Versys pin. I did this and it sort of worked, except for the outward tilt.

I eventually found out that there were brackets specifically for the V. Once I swapped them out, all was well. The problem was that the foot that serves as the stop was not long enough (that is far enough from the center line of pivot). It had to pivot down too far before it contacted the frame so the end result was an outward sloping peg.

Before swapping brackets, I considered just JB Welding a washer or something into the bracket to build it out so that the peg would seat in a level orientation.

Not sure if any of this is clear, but maybe it will help a little bit.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonBreath View Post
I installed the adjustable MFW footpegs and I had a noticeable outward tilt to them. As it turns out, my problem was caused by having the wrong bracket.

I was under the impression when I bought them that they did not offer the bracket specifically for the Versys. I was advised to buy the ones for the Vstrom and drill the bore out to fit the Versys pin. I did this and it sort of worked, except for the outward tilt.

I eventually found out that there were brackets specifically for the V. Once I swapped them out, all was well. The problem was that the foot that serves as the stop was not long enough (that is far enough from the center line of pivot). It had to pivot down too far before it contacted the frame so the end result was an outward sloping peg.

Before swapping brackets, I considered just JB Welding a washer or something into the bracket to build it out so that the peg would seat in a level orientation.

Not sure if any of this is clear, but maybe it will help a little bit.
I'm assuming that you mean "downward sloping". The web-page clearly states Concours 1400 and '08 Versys. I agree and as I stated earlier, the bracket appears to need another 1/8" of material to keep the cant of the pags horizontal. I'm still waiting for a response from Larry......

Last edited by redline; 10-31-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode