Need feedback on SAE 2 cig outlet setup - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need feedback on SAE 2 cig outlet setup

Hey guys,

Hoping to get some feedback on using an SAE 2 pin connector (like what a battery tender uses) with a cig lighter that connects to it in order to get a fused power line to the bars for my phone, heated gear, or a gps.

Links below.. Anyone think this would be a bad idea if I use this and tape the cig outlet to the inside Fairing?

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-8-Cigarette-Disconnect/dp/B0041CDPQO/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_b

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

Next Stop: 44Tooth Sprocket (To be installed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM

I use SAE 2 pin wiring for all my accessory wiring... Although I have a Fuzeblock that they are all connected to. My only direct connection to the battery itself is my Fuzeblock.

The SEA 2 pin is a good choice that allows you to remove your accessory very easily if and when required.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 PM

I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 12V sockets for about $8 each and installed one on each side of the dash panel and ran wires directly to the battery. Look and work great. Easily done. I still have an SAE line on the side of the bike for the Battery Tender hookup.

Bama Dan

Current Stable:
'08 Versys
'09 Piaggio BV250
'04 Harley Ultra Classic w/ Bushtec trailer

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have 2 one on each side of the bike below the seat. I have a 12" lead a 24"lead and a 3"lead. Then i have a outlet installed on the dash

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 PM

Tape?

IBA # 49372
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Tape?
[[/IMG]
I just used the tern. Really i meant zip tie and velcro. Got tht idea from bamf. He just has his velcroed to the tank

Farkles:
Givi Tall Windscreen, Givi Top Rack and Case, Givi V35 Bags and Mounts, Givi QuickLock Tank Connector+Bag, Oxford Heated Grips, Nuvi 550 w/ Ram Mount, Barkbusters Full Wrap + Storm, Motowerks Flatfoot, Spools and Tank Protector, Bobbed Fender, Grip Puppies, 12v SAE Socket, Packjack, Airhawk 1 (med), Scala Rider G4, Contour Roam2

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 AM

What you linked should work fine!

Another inexpensive option here..

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM

My battery tender is on a fused connection with an SAE plug.

I bought the Deltran SAE plug 12v outlet to plug into my tender plugin. It seems to work well.

I actually need to relocate my plug into my top case so I can throw my phone charger into it. I have an extra deltran because I was going to run one in front and one in back. Since my helmet now recieves gps instructions from my cell phone I probably won't need the second one. Haven't decided yet.

Basically I can flip the plugs and choose which outlet I want on. When I park it can be unplugged so as not to drain the battery if I forget to unplug something charging.

"Why do I ride?"

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
My battery tender is on a fused connection with an SAE plug.

I bought the Deltran SAE plug 12v outlet to plug into my tender plugin. It seems to work well. .
MikeV, -- I assume your setup is exactly what I am thinking. Can you send me a snapshot of how you set it up? I was thinking of a couple options but I would ratehr no reinvent the wheel if someone else has already done it successfully.

Thanks!

Farkles:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM

Sure it will be a bit after 4pm most likely. Oh and the 12v outlet was like 9$.

I'll take a picture of the boxed one.

"Why do I ride?"

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM

sorry about the wait my mowers and weed whacker decided today was a good day to bjork with my evening.

Spent most of the time after work replacing a fuel line, inline filter and spark plug on my mower, as my last replacement of those was 2 years ago and its a 15 minute job once you cut the fuel hose to the correct size. Apparently it doesn't want to start. I thought I had pulled all the gas out before the winter set in but there was some in the lower line. Now it still won't start. Guess I'm going to rip the carb apart tomorrow. Will start with some starter fluid but won't keep running. I'm guessing the valve is clogged.

So decided to try push mowing (I could use the extra exercise) and on the first pull I broke the lanyard... grr its only a 6 months old string. Ok I'll weed whack... yeah not so much. Apparently a two by four slid over and depressed the throttle for the winter. I decided I didn't want to press my luck with my backup electric weed whacker.

I will get the pics at first light. I'm wreaking of gas, oil, and sweat. Oh and thoroughly flabbergasted.

"Why do I ride?"

Last edited by MikeV; 04-16-2012 at 08:50 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 AM

Ok as promised and sorry for the wait. My logic for my setup is I want things on the bike to be removable. I also have a marine outlet I'm trying to figure out where to mount permanently which would replace this. I'm just deciding on how I want to fuse everything.

This is the fuse area and the sae end for my battery tender hookup. I didn't install this. The dealership where I purchased my V does this on all their bikes (even used) as a courtesy for their customers. Ignore the extra connectors these are for heated gear hookup.

The fuse and end tuck in and I route the end up by the tool bag.

Just plug them in and the plug is live.

Just run the cables up the frame

One zip tie here and at the fairing connector near the tank keeps the cable from flopping.

On the 2011 I use the windshield as a way to secure the cable and plug where I want it.

Here is the package and part number. I'm probably going to re-route the connection into my top case as I can get GPS directions in my helmet now thanks to the bluetooth unit. This way I can charge my phone while off the bike.

"Why do I ride?"

Last edited by MikeV; 04-17-2012 at 07:27 AM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Ok as promised and sorry for the wait. My logic for my setup is I want things on the bike to be removable. I also have a marine outlet I'm trying to figure out where to mount permanently which would replace this. I'm just deciding on how I want to fuse everything.
Thanks Mike! -- exactly what I was thinking (minus the fuse box -- the SAE cable has an inline fuse so I figure ill be ok?)

Amazon is shipping my parts and will be here by Friday! Ill let you know when the outlet ends up after I route the thing

Farkles:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:20 PM

Yep my tender is fused already so I figured I would be fine for a low draw power application.

Nice thing is it just unplugs when not in use or I can reroute based on where it is needed.

"Why do I ride?"

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
Tape?

Ok well I got my parts this weekend, installed, and tested with flying colors.

And yes, I would say its a very "macgyver" install.

In order to install I basically just used black zip ties. I bought a bunch of other items to try, such as ubolts, double stick tape, belly bands, etc. but couldnt figure out an optimal place to use them.

So? what did I do? Zip tied the sucker to my barkbuster, and its beautiful! (IMO).

Basically I put two zip ties around the socket, and then two zip ties in between those that zip it to the barkbuster bracket.

I then took off the side panels and routed the wires in line with the other power cords around the gas tank and to the battery.

Took a 4 hour test drive and the bugger didnt move a bit, even with a heavy phone charger in it. I also really like that I can unplug/plug it in seconds (due to the SAE connection under the seat) and that it is "always on" in case I want to charge my phone at a camp site. That will save me $60 on a external phone battery charger.

I may take more pictures later, but this is the only one I have currently. I am really glad I did this setup as the black socket + the black zip ties really make it hidden.

Farkles:

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2012, 03:33 PM

Trim those zip ties FLUSH or I guarantee you that sooner or later you'll rip something open... More than likely your wrist.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode