Speedy's GPS dash mount ideas - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Speedy's GPS dash mount ideas

I've been combing through the threads here to see if I could find a few ideas of how people used the flat plate GPS dash from Speedy:
Speedy's Mount

Having a hard time coming up with any output though. I'm thinking about drilling in a RAM mount for the GPS and a couple marine power sockets at this point, perhaps throw in a datel voltmeter, but I'm still not sure... I'd likely build a cover for the back of the setup to hide the wiring, of course. Also, I'm not sure how much room is available behind it to throw in those sockets, so there's a potential of just sticking the things in the plastic (though I am not very happy with that idea at this point!)

Any one else that's had some experience modifying this mount? I appreciate any feedback/pics!

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Givi - V35 Monokey Saddlebags - Large windscreen - Tail rack with v46 trunk
Speedy's - 1" Handlebar risers - Footpeg Lowering blocks
Osram 65W Bright replacements
Kawasaki Handguards
... And the all important gremlin bell, courtesy of my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Expect ABOUT 3/4" to the OEM windshield at the top, 2 3/4" at the bottom.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:29 PM

I have a Nuvi 550 in a Garmin mount secured to Speedy's plate-

Power for the GPS (hardwired to acces. panel) comes through the dash at bottom right. Great location for GPS, but too exposed for plugs etc. IMO.
Lots of room on the dash to either side of the guages to put in a power port or grip heat control, and the wiring all can be easily hidden away.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:44 PM

Speedy Mount with RAM mount base with GPS (lower) and smartphone (upper) mounts. GPS power is a dedicated line, the smartphone is a USB powerport. Originally I wanted to mount the USB port behind the Speedy plate......there was enough room for the port, not enough room for the cable-so I cable tied the port to the leg of the Speedy Mount.

Riders view and side view:

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Holy crap that setup looks intense! And probably about the closest to what I was wanting to do actually :-D

Quick question on those power connections as I'm an LD noob: water proof?

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Kawasaki Handguards
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 AM

The powersupply for the Garmin is more or less weatherproof ( http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5571 ) but the GPS itself (now a Nuvi 1450) and its connector are not.

I have a weather resistant PDA bag (Bag Connections from Twisted Throttle) that I use if I'm sure of hitting a lot of rain, I remove the whole assembly and just use the GPS with the bag.

Otherwise, if I'm just caught out in a shower or I want to run the cammera on my smartphone, I use a clear dry bag that slips over the smartphone cradle and GPS that still allows me to shoot pictures and videos.

Like the GPS powersupply, the smartphone is running off a 12V-5V USB "weatherproof" powersupply that is weatherprooof up to the connector that plugs into the cradle/phone-neither of which is water resistant.

This is the 12V/5V USB unit available for many vendors, I got mine here http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

If you want to use the USB powersupply to run a Garmin GPS, you need a special USB charge only cable, normal USB cables will put the GPS into mass-storage mode and make the GPS think its connected to a computer.

I'm experimenting with 3 different sizes of clear weatherproof mapcases to reduce the bulk of the drybag and have a flatter surface on the face and camera side. Might end up cutting one down to get the best fit.

When parked outside, I use a small black drysack to cover the whole assembly -keeps it dust and waterfree and is out-of-sight-out-of-mind to passerby's.

After 40,000 miles I haven't lost a GPS yet.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Im looking at a nuvi 550 for this go round.

I appreciate the response. I've got some ram research to do to get the right dual mount.

2008 Versys - 37k miles
Kawasaki Handguards
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm11_6 View Post
Thanks for the info! Im looking at a nuvi 550 for this go round....
I have TWO! Good little units.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode