Another Luggage Thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Luggage Thread

I know their are a lot of threads on this but a lot of them are old or missing the pictures due to broken links.

I am thinking of upgrading to hard luggage for some motorcycle camping this summer. Planning on doing a bunch of weekend trips and atleast one week long journey. I am a paved road kind of traveler and do most of my traveling with my buddy on a BMW 1200LT so the chances we go off road are prettly slim.

Currently I am using a soft saddlebags and a tail bag but I don't care for the sag even with supports and the tail bag just moves around a little more than I would like. Plus the thought of them tearing at a seam 800 miles from home worries me.

I am strongly considering the SW- Motech Evo rack and a set of Seahorse 720 cases but I am wondering about size capacity. After measuring I think I can get all the necessary camping stuff in one case (tent, pad, and sleeping bag/pillow). That leaves me one case for clothes, toiletries, and misc. I could probably still use my tail bag and be fine or get a dry bag to strap over the pillion.

Cost:
Rack - $230
Cases - $150 with metal locks
Total - $380
Price per liter – 54 liters/$380 = $7.04

Or add three Sea Horse 720’s for
For an additional $255 for the SW top rack and another case
Price per liter – 81 liters/$635 = $7.84

The other option the same set up with pelican 1550 or storm i2600 and gain a little more room. Would have to use padlocks with no integrated locks.
Rack - $230
Cases $250
Total - $480
Price per liter – 70 liters/$480 = $6.86

3 Pelicans for an additional $305
Price per liter – 105 liters/$785 = $7.48

Givi V35’s – Looks the best probably not as durable

Cost:
Rack $200
Cases - $490
Total - $690
Price per liter – 70 liters/$690 - $9.86

As you can probably tell I am a cost accountant and I have a hard time spending money irrationaly.

I am open to other ideas or options. Just wondering home many liters you really need in motorcycle luggage. My soft bags are large but akwardly shaped so I am thinking i would be fine with smaller volume and a square shape.

I don't think I would have any issues but I would like these to not interfere with the Versys' ability to lean deep in the twisty stuff.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I can only address one of your alternatives - the Givi V35s. I've had them for a while now and very pleased with the quality, capacity, and look. Most of my riding is on hard surfaces and, barring a fall-over (hasn't happened yet, thankfully) I haven't encountered any durability issues.

I also think they compliment the look of the machine - at least as well as any hard cases are able to compliment. I'm not a genuine "adventure" rider so I don't find a great deal of appeal for the oversized "camera bag" or "brief case" style hard cases. I suspect though they are probably more durable and better suited for those who are more inclined to venture off road. It's a matter of personal taste rather than an insult to those with such cases.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 AM

I am in the market for side cases as well. I like the SW Motech racks as they are the most cost-efficient. Regarding the Seahorse cases though, are you planning on making the mounts yourself? Sorry I don't have more insight for you, but you did your homework so maybe I can learn a thing or two from it!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbryan View Post
I am in the market for side cases as well. I like the SW Motech racks as they are the most cost-efficient. Regarding the Seahorse cases though, are you planning on making the mounts yourself? Sorry I don't have more insight for you, but you did your homework so maybe I can learn a thing or two from it!
My plan was to grind off the ridges on the back of the case and hard mount to the rack. The rack is a quick disconnect so I see no reason to have to seperate the rack from the case. I will probably add a small plate for support inside the case.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter84 View Post
My plan was to grind off the ridges on the back of the case and hard mount to the rack. The rack is a quick disconnect so I see no reason to have to seperate the rack from the case. I will probably add a small plate for support inside the case.
Solid plan. I just may go that route. After I looked around at cases and systems I came to the conclusion that without paying the money for Givi, buying some kind of rack and mounting separate, quality hard cases to it would be the best option. Hadn't put this particular combination of SWM and Seahorse together yet so thanks.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I can only address one of your alternatives - the Givi V35s. I've had them for a while now and very pleased with the quality, capacity, and look. Most of my riding is on hard surfaces and, barring a fall-over (hasn't happened yet, thankfully) I haven't encountered any durability issues.

I also think they compliment the look of the machine - at least as well as any hard cases are able to compliment. I'm not a genuine "adventure" rider so I don't find a great deal of appeal for the oversized "camera bag" or "brief case" style hard cases. I suspect though they are probably more durable and better suited for those who are more inclined to venture off road. It's a matter of personal taste rather than an insult to those with such cases.
Have those also

But not water proof, be advise !!!

LOP
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Here's a picture of my KLR all loaded up, and I use pretty much the same method on my Vs. The red "canoe bag", waterproof, holds my tent, sleeping bag and mat, and a few other items, 90L size. Clothes go into the left saddle bag inside 2 garbage bags for waterproofing, while I carry maintenance items (1L oil, WD40, campstove, utensils, etc) in the right bag. In my tank bag I carry 3 days food, camera, bugspray, spare gloves.

I've gone on trips up to 31 days set up like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KLR trip 07 DAY 4:022.jpg (108.8 KB, 266 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 PM

Wow, thats a heck of a setup! Must be heavy.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Have those also

But not water proof, be advise !!!

LOP
That's why the Almighty created large Zip Loc bags!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM

Here's my setup- SW Motech AluRack with the adapter for the Twisted Throttle iM2600 case. I bought it as their 'deluxe' package (which included lid stays and a lock). It has a quick release lock system that works pretty well. Be forewarned it's not a HUGE case. You certainly won't get a helmet in there. It is definitely waterproof on all sides as mine has gotten absolutely downpoured on at speed and remained bone dry inside. The install was a bit of a pain as some of the needed hardware was not initially sent to me, but all in all I've been very happy with it. It holds my bike cover, crazy big chain, air guage and various sham-wow type things with room to spare. I sacrificed a small amount of the bottom of the case to sound insulation foam to prevent too much rattling around in there. I know tents are a lot smaller these days, but I'm not sure how you'd fair trying to get more than one in this particular Pelican. Of course- you can always go for one of the bigger Pelicans- but for my money this one is about as big as I want a topcase to be...

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 11:08 PM

You could take a look at the rear bags offered by Bags Connection. Twisted Throttle has a few and their quality is top notch and their methods of securing their bags is real good. I have their tank bags on both my bikes and love them. They mount to the tank via the gas cap ring.

Anyways, they have the Race pack:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/916/340/

and the Cargo bag:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/922/340/

Both seem big enough to handle quite a bit of gear, then you can take it off when you get home.

Oh, and since you are an accountant, they are a lot cheaper than all the other options.

Just a thought.

Cheers
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 05:57 AM

Here is a pic of mine with Kawasaki (Givi V35 panniers) and a Givi Maxia (E55?) setup.

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
2007 Kawasaki Versys 650
2006 Honda CBF 600 - sold
2006 Honda Varardero XL125 - sold
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Still up in the air yet. Not a huge fan of the huge top cases and fitting a helmet is not not really a requirement. I think when the three are combined it does look great though.

I am thinking the everyday solution may be the 2 seahorse cases and then one of those role down dry bags over the back for camping trips. If this proves to not be enough i could always add the alu rack and which ever top case I may need.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Wow, thats a heck of a setup! Must be heavy.
No, NOT counting the 'trunk', I bet the saddle bags, full, and canoe bag full, come to around 70 pounds. On the V, the canoe bag sits where a passenger would.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Ordered the Evo Rack and Seahorse 720 cases yesterday.

Carrycasesplus had the best deal including shipping. With metal locks it came to $142 for the pair.

The rack i ordered through twisted throttle. $285. The rack I saw on another site for $230 was not a quick lock rack.

So I am into it for about $450 right now.

Debated going straight for the top rack and trunk but I think I am going to go with the dry bag strapped across the rear seat like fast eddie does. This way it will be removable and I could use it for more than just the bike. I would like to get an idea of the width with the cases mounted before I decide on what size. Something around 28-30 long x 12-14 wide and around 50 - 70 liters should be fine
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Just bought and installed the SW Motech Evo Racks with the Storm i2600 case on the Twisted Throttle Adapters. The whole setup cost about $700. I still need to tidy up the rear blinker wiring but I like it so far. Still not sure what top case I will use or if I just go the dry bag route

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 AM

i think you are going to love your cases- i went the same way (only with caribou). this is my rig with a dry bag on top which (just barely) held all my camp gear. but i have since upgraded to a 65 litre bag. should fit great and hold everything i need. rei has a nice dry bag- sea to summit- check it out. it has sort of two flats sides instead of a round bag which i liked for packing on the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7197.jpg (91.9 KB, 171 views)
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I am currently looking at dry bags as well. I think I have decided on the either the Large or XL Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel Bag that I heard about on the ADVrider forum. Has a semi rigid bottom and very easy on the pocket book. The XL is only a few bucks more but I am not sure if I want to go that big. I beleive my seahorse cases with rack will be about 32" across the back and this bag will nearly span the entire width. I don't plan on loading it with real heavy stuff just sleeping attire and change of clothes.

The large is 24x12x12 - 70 liters
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/DPKD1.html

The XL is 30x15x14 - 110 liters
http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...uctId=12260792

Last edited by Skeeter84; 04-05-2012 at 11:47 AM.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi380 View Post
Just bought and installed the SW Motech Evo Racks with the Storm i2600 case on the Twisted Throttle Adapters. The whole setup cost about $700. I still need to tidy up the rear blinker wiring but I like it so far. Still not sure what top case I will use or if I just go the dry bag route

Did you also get the Pelican Cases at Twisted throttle? Also will you use the foam padding or take it out for extra space?
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Camping off the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter84 View Post
I am currently looking at dry bags as well. I think I have decided on the either the Large or XL Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel Bag that I heard about on the ADVrider forum. Has a semi rigid bottom and very easy on the pocket book. The XL is only a few bucks more but I am not sure if I want to go that big. I beleive my seahorse cases with rack will be about 32" across the back and this bag will nearly span the entire width. I don't plan on loading it with real heavy stuff just sleeping attire and change of clothes.

The large is 24x12x12 - 70 liters
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/DPKD1.html

The XL is 30x15x14 - 110 liters
http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...uctId=12260792
Try ORTLIEB. Great product, low price, excellent quality made in Germany.

Those seem too big. 35L pictured here. Sleeping pad deflated and unrolled inside, stuff sleeping bag inside of that, room for camp pillow and spare clothes. Light, waterproof, and easy to tie down. Tent is in it's own bag in front, also holds stakes, tarp, and tarp pole.

I would not fill up a side bag with soft, lightweight gear. Use them for your tools, spares, food, stove....and beer.

The versys setup. Room for the 35L Ortlieb on the pillion when required:

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode