CalSci XXL vs Parabellum Long Windshield - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CalSci XXL vs Parabellum Long Windshield

It seems that the bolt holes are lower on the CalSci.

In the attached pics, the CalSci is on the stock mount, and the Parabellum is on the Madstad pulled all the way up.

(Edited: Added picture of Parallelum with stock mounts)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calsci.jpg (57.5 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg ParabellumMadstad_640.jpg (28.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg ParabellumStockMounts_640.jpg (30.7 KB, 199 views)

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hdatontodo; 03-24-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdatontodo View Post

It seems that the bolt holes are lower on the CalSci.

In the attached pics, the CalSci is on the stock mount, and the Parabellum is on the Madstad pulled all the way up.

(Edited: Added picture of Parallelum with stock mounts)
Them both yours?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
Them both yours?
I had the green Versys a year or two ago, before I got the HOG with sidecar. I just sold that rig and my civic and bought a mustang and (again) a versys.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new (larger) shield. Between the two shields, which do you prefer?

Looking for a nice quiet bubble at freeway speeds+

I'm 6'5", and while the GiVi screen on my '08 with the Robobrackets works Ok, I can't get entirely out of the wind. Want something that will actually block most of the wind so I don't have to wear a neck gator and/or a baclava. Any thoughts / feedback would be appreciated.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new (larger) shield. Between the two shields, which do you prefer?

Looking for a nice quiet bubble at freeway speeds+

I'm 6'5", and while the GiVi screen on my '08 with the Robobrackets works Ok, I can't get entirely out of the wind. Want something that will actually block most of the wind so I don't have to wear a neck gator and/or a baclava. Any thoughts / feedback would be appreciated.
I am 6'3" and the tallest (23") Parabellum is giving me a lot of wind noise. My head is not being buffeted around. I have to duck like 4" for less noise. My taller seat might not be helping matters.

I am thinking that the XXL (23") CalSci might be taller since the mounting holes are lower than on the parabellum. Since it's been 2 years, I don't recall exactly the noise/wind level with the CalSci. For now, I'm going to keep the parabellum and switch helmets. I tried a madstad bracket before, but it didn't reduce my issues.

I just spent a gazillion $ on a Shoei Neotech flip-up helmet from revzilla since it has padding which it supposed to keep some of the noise from coming up near the jaw. It also has a easy to use sun visor, good venting, etc. There's a video on revzilla. My HJC flip-up has been a good helmet, but not particularly a quiet one. I'm wearing my new helmet as I work from home today to make sure the fit, size L, is ok.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM

Hdatontodo, if you have time add your photos here - http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ndshield+photo

Velocibiker-I'm 6'2 1/2" with the tall/tinted Parabellum and love it. It is much better (for me) than the Givi. I have my suspension up high, seat raised/padded, and have the screen mounted as high as it will go on stock brackets.

But-It appears from the threads on this topic that the same windshield on the same bike will have different results for different riders..an expensive lesson. Good luck on your search!

Vulcan 1700 Classic

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazjemo View Post
Hdatontodo, if you have time add your photos here - http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ndshield+photo
Done

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazjemo View Post

Velocibiker-I'm 6'2 1/2" with the tall/tinted Parabellum and love it. It is much better (for me) than the Givi. I have my suspension up high, seat raised/padded, and have the screen mounted as high as it will go on stock brackets.

But-It appears from the threads on this topic that the same windshield on the same bike will have different results for different riders..an expensive lesson. Good luck on your search!
Yeah - I'm well aware of the differing results. All depends on exactly what results you're looking or hoping for. I've gone through this on all my bikes, so it's not new to me. I bought the bike used and it already had the Givi so I was hoping it would do the trick. Not so much. Again, nothing "wrong" with the Givi. Just isn't providing the amount of protection I want.

Think I'll see if I can get the parabellum with no holes. I've asked if I can get the CalSci with no holes, but have not heard back.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 PM

I've used a CalSci XL (I'm 6'2") and loved it. I broke it in a minor accident and am now buying another. Wind noise was, for me, virtually nil and no buffeting. I assume you've followed the directions on the site to do the yardstick method of measuring? There are also instructions on the site for drilling your own holes (drill speed, bit type, etc.).

Now that I think about it, I thought they said you could contact them about setting up a "custom" shield, too but I'm not 100% on that.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samill2 View Post
I assume you've followed the directions on the site to do the yardstick method of measuring?
Nah. That, like everything else is 'relative'. It's a nice tool but not a solution for everybody given all the differences in shield angles, shield widths, other wind issues created by the bike itself and helmet type. Unless you can ride the same bike with the shield already on, there's really no way of knowing if it will work better, or as good as it does for somebody else.

So unless there's somebody within driving or riding distance of Las Vegas who has a parabellum, and/or the CalSci and/or Mike's Touring, I'm just going to have to hope it works. If not, guess I can always throw it the flea market.

Right now I'm going to go with the Para since its significantly wider of the ones I mention above. If it comes down to it, I can cut it thinner and/or shorter, but its the biggest sail I can find
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode