HELP!!!! bent bracket - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Angry HELP!!!! bent bracket

hey guys, I wrote on here last week about me laying my bike down and need a litle help now. i thought it was just a few cosmetic parts like cowling and peg plate, but yesterday i took everything off and wasn't pleased about what i found. the bracket that is welded on the frame that holds the cowling, radiator overflow tank and headlight assembly bracket is REALLY bent. im not sure what to do. i guess my question is, do you think i would just be able to slowly bend it back to normal or is it gonna be to weak and break. there's isn't really much i can do unless i were to buy a new frame and that isn't gonna happen haha. your opinions would be more than helpful thanks.

here are the pic from the front, top and side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket.jpg (37.9 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg bracket 2.jpg (29.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg bracket 3.jpg (39.5 KB, 147 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Really your only option at this point is to slowly attempt to bend it back. It looks like it has quite the curve to it, so what I might recommend trying is getting two C clamps and a couple pieces of flat steel (bar stock or something similar). Put the C clamps on either side of the bend (flat steel inside the C clamps, sort of sandwiching the bent portion of the frame) an tighten the C clamps till it's as straight as you can get it.

That'd be my go at it anyway. Someone else here might have another idea :-)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Body/Welding shop... A good, experienced torch man should be able to heat and bend it back to where it's usable... or remove it from the frame totally... heat/bend/beat it back into shape and re-weld it into place.

You find some old dude who's been working metal for a living and you might find he/she can help you out.

Also... there may be someone here on the forum that knows of a wrecked Versys that has an undamaged bracket that you might be able to obtain and use to replace your bracket...

Good luck!

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

Last edited by genehil; 03-22-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM

What genehil said. If it isn't repairable, get a replacement bracket welded on. No need for a new frame

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Agree with find some old dude or dudess who knows their stuff, got one myself who is a contractor at my work and they worth their weight in gold.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies i really appreciate it, yea i will have to find a good welder if i cant bend it back. hey jdrocks, i am definetly interested in that bracket whenever you find it just let me know. thank to all.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 01:31 AM

Bend it back and not to worry about its strength as it is not a critical load bearing structure. To reinforce after the repair, you may use epoxy steel to give it some strength.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM

It has been my experience that in a situation like this it is often possible to use a medium or large Cresent wrench with the jaws closed around one edge. Then use the length of the Cresent wrench as a lever and bend the metal back out. Make sure you slide the jaws as far as possible over the edge for maximum control.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bent, bracket, frame, weld

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode