Cheap Helmet Speakers - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Cheap Helmet Speakers

I've got a Zumo 660 and have it all set up and wired to my 2011 Versys. I have been pricing Bluetooth options to get the audio from the Zumo into my helmet... but the prices are just way more than I'm willing to pay at this point.

I'm usually a solo rider and have no need for any motorcycle to motorcycle communication... and I don't carry anyone on the pillion.

I figured I might be able to come up with an alternate... and significantly cheaper fix.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a Coby CV123 3-in-1 Combo for around $5.00 at Walmart. It comes with Neckband Earphones, Ear Clip Headphones and Stereo Earphones.

Today, I opened things up and tossed the Neckband Earphones and the Stereo Earphones into my junk drawer... Then I clipped the Ear Clips off of the Ear Clip Headphones and found that they were pretty ideal for slipping in the ear area of the cheek pads of my Arai XD3 helmet.

I used a bit of velcro to make sure they stayed where I put them. I was then able to route and hide the wires between helmet components pretty neatly to the left side of the helmet. I am now am able to connect the new "helmet speakers" to the audio output of my Garmin Zumo 660... and it's all removable for when I'm not GPSing...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Have you used them while riding yet? I had some cheap speakers in my helmet that plugged into my phone for music but the phone wasn't powerful enough to hear the music at more than 30 mph.
I bought the SENA SMH10 $155 and it's so much better. I use it for my phone,GPS and music. No wires hanging either.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM

The problem with speakers thin enough to work in a helmet is they typically sound awful. If you want good sound quality, consider a set of earbuds. They will direct better quality sound right to your ears and provide some noise attenuation as well. Turn off the sound and they function like ear plugs and are great for cutting out wind noise and to help reduce fatigue when you ride a long distance. Skull Candy Ink'd earbuds, as one example, sound quite good, are flat enough so you can get your helmet on over them, and they're cheap. I paid $10 for mine.

If you want really great sound, check out Shure in-ear speakers...bring money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

I checked them out on the road... but not above about 45. I also wear ear plugs... the squishy kind. I had earplugs in today when I went on the short test and because I'm only listening to GPS (no music/phone) I think they'll fit the bill for the moment.

I'm headed on a 900+ on Friday thru Sunday. That'll be a good test, I suppose... because I have the whole route already in my Zumo there will be a lot of GPS to listen to... but for five bucks... even if I'm sent back to the drawing board, I'm not out much.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys

Last edited by genehil; 03-21-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 06:50 PM

If your tunes are MP3 format, load them onto a microSD card, slip it into the zumo and you can have directions plus tunes. And if you find the helmet speakers aren't cutting it on your long trip, you can always buy some earbuds at a convenience store and plug directly into your zumo audio output...no worries about sound output then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKER View Post
I bought the SENA SMH10 $155 and it's so much better. I use it for my phone, GPS and music. No wires hanging either.
I had my setup out... At speed... Later in the day and found it to be lacking in volume and clarity. I will use it this weekend but I'm guessing it won't be as capable as I'd hoped.

I think you're right Rocker. I found a new SENA SMH10 on eBay for $155 and decided to bite the bullet and go that way after all.

The Sena should be here next week. I've got a 5500 miler scheduled for July so I'll get my money worth out of it then, I'm sure.

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 08:46 AM

Just remember in many states, ear buds are illegal to use while riding. You will pay for you BT kit with your first ticket.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2012, 05:06 PM

Garage
if you want to stay cheap. try the jvc marshmallows at wally world. come in colors. around $14 ear buds with squishy earplug material at end. blocks lots of noise and has clear sounds. I keep mp3 player in jacket pocket.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You bought one of the most expensive GPS devices out there and now you want to cheap out on speakers? Speakers are the most important part of the system. I love my SENA system even if I am not riding with a friend.

My Versys Travels:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 PM

I read today that some early non-firmware-upgradeable Sena SMH10's are floating around for sale. avoid unless you have details that I don't.

--
Tony
2002 Honda Goldwing
IBA #24737
(daytime)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Just thought I'd share an ebay find. These cost me $5.50 including postage and I thought they would be absolute crap but they sounded pretty good. I tried them with ear plugs in as well and that works. Not used to a helmet full of Rock'N'Roll but I thought it might be a bit of something different on my solo travels..

Edit: they are crap!! dunno what I was thinking!! Don't buy these they suck!!
hehe was a bit of fun with the kids for 15 minutes though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EM00014.jpg (135.4 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by crow; 01-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
if you want to stay cheap. try the jvc marshmallows at wally world. come in colors. around $14 ear buds with squishy earplug material at end. blocks lots of noise and has clear sounds. I keep mp3 player in jacket pocket.
I'll have a look at those! Thanks for the heads up!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM

ear buds

this is what I use, Cb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 362.JPG (163.4 KB, 75 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode