Russell Day Long Vinyl vs. Leather - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Russell Day Long Vinyl vs. Leather

I've done various searches on the forum here and have pretty well decided that my seat replacement is going to be a Russell, but haven't found much in the way of comparisons between the vinyl and leather offerings so I thought I'd see if there was any input from the crowd :-)

I know that the vinyl is supposed to be less supple and less durable, but with the advantage of being more water proof than the leather (though of course it still has the stitching holes). Additionally, one member previously noted that the leather was actually cooler than the vinyl in the heat of the summer (which was actually the opposite of my assumptions...).

Other than this, I'm not sure of much in the way of advantages of one over the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM

Depends on your intended use of the bike IMO. If you're planning on touring, when you can't just decide not to ride if it rains, I'd recommend vinyl. Leather holds water, so even after it stops raining, you're still sitting on a petri dish of bacteria and molds, not to mention your ass gets wet long after the rain has stopped. If you're just going to take it out for fair weather rides, the leather is comfortable and looks great.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have a Baldwin Tall Leather Seat. i prefer the leather over vinyl. Much cooler in the summer. Butt stays planted better.With the vinyl seems to slide around alittle. I've ridden with mine in downpours and never had any issues with water. I use Lexol conditioner on it so it stays looking good. I've also had a Corbin with vinyl and a Russell with vinyl. Sold those and kept the Baldwin. I'll post a photo of the Baldwin and Corbin. Had photos with the Russell but deleted them.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 10-22-2014 at 01:42 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I have a Baldwin Tall Leather Seat. i prefer the leather over vinyl. Much cooler in the summer. Butt stays planted better.With the vinyl seems to slide around alittle. I've ridden with mine in downpours and never had any issues with water. I use Lexol conditioner on it so it stays looking good. I've also had a Corbin with vinyl and a Russell with vinyl. Sold those and kept the Baldwin. I'll post a photo of the Baldwin and Corbin. Had photos with the Russell but deleted them.
So the Baldwin won your saddle challenge, did it? Damn, I might have found yet something else to spend money on!

Can't say much for the stock saddle, but so far I've found the Corbin to be pretty comfortable - though not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe if I whisper Baldwin, Baldwin, Baldwin in my sleep my wife might take the hint. Maybe??

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

I'd be game for possibly the Baldwin, but the necessity of a back rest had led me to the Russell.

I was thinking the leather would have you sliding as well... I know in my last car with leather seats, I was all over the dang place :\
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psalm11_6 View Post
I'd be game for possibly the Baldwin, but the necessity of a back rest had led me to the Russell.

I was thinking the leather would have you sliding as well... I know in my last car with leather seats, I was all over the dang place :\

I really liked the russell as well. If i did mostly long distance rides i would have kept it. With the russell the seat flares out more so when you come to a stop you need to slide up to the tank to make it more comfortable putting your feet down. The build quality on the russell & baldwin are excellent. i liked the corbin as well but the build quality was nowhere near that of the baldwin & russell

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
According to Russel Day-long's website the vinyl needs to be covered in the rain as much as the leather. With conditioner and waterproofing the leather is just as waterproof as the vinyl.

Personally I like the OEM seat but wish I had an extra inch behind me. My tailbone pushes against the slope to the passenger seat.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Suck. I really didnt want to have to deal with the seat cover as much and had neglected reading that part of the site :-/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 09:36 PM

My last bike was a Suzi Z400SM. Stock seat on that was absolutely horrid. Like a 2x4. I wound up replacing it with a seat concepts seat that made a big difference; but the stock 2011 V seat is far better by comparison. I wonder how long I can hold out on yet another farkle simply by fooling myself with the 'ole apples and oranges routine...

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 10:10 PM

I recommend leather over vinyl, too. It's more comfortable to sit on. Treat it with conditioner and it'll be OK unless you let it sit out in the rain long enough for the seams to leak. The Russell folks will be glad to sell you a seat rain cover, as well. When I'm on the road, I throw a half cover on the bike at night. If it rains during the day, I slip the seat cover on.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode