Weight of OEM side bags - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
Weight of OEM side bags

Does anyone know the weight of the OEM Versys side bags with the brackets?

Inquiring minds need to know. I'm vacillating between hard bags and top box. I think the weight lower is better, as long as it isn't over 25lbs 12.5 on each side and then adding my gear on top of that. I will be doing mostly touring and am trying to work out the kinks without getting it as heavy as my 07 1250 Bandit.

Any thoughts on this? Phew, so many decisions, but I'm picking up the bike at the end of next week and I figure if i'm financing some, why not add what i want! If you were using someone else wallet, what would you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM

I like the Page!
I think the shipping weight of the OEM cases is 27 lbs. There is a reason why I know that. Although I was initially excited at the thought of having matching luggage, looking at the set-up installed on my sleek new Versys was a bummer. It seemed much too wide, and I still couldn't fit my helmet in there. For me, it kinda missed the point on the Versys.
You had bags on the Bandit though, and you'll still be way lighter than that. If financing them in with the bike is the only way you're gonna get them, it might be an OK move, but it's still your wallet!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM

You can get the givi v35 (same as OEM) with the side brackets for less than the OEM. I have the OEM side cases, came with the bike. I added an e450 top box with the givi rack. I never noticed the top box was there. The weight of the cases do not matter. Is what you put in them. I go out on three to four day tours. Plenty of space in the v35's for that. I can put an XL Symax 2 helmet in them, kind of tricky to get the v35's to close with such a big helmet. The top box goes mostly empty when I'm riding. That's for the helmet and gear when I get off the bike. If you are going solo you should not worry too much about overloading the bike.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to demenshea Send a message via Yahoo to demenshea
Thanks for the info, both of you!!

I agree it does make the Versys less sleek and makes lane splitting a bit more dangerous, but then how much riding do i ever do in commuter traffic. I mostly ride the back country.

I have thought this over considerably and decided to fly with the OEM side bags and ditch the top box for now. I like having the weight lower and I can take them off when I get somewhere and ride without them using only my tank bag.

I believe you are right. It's all about what goes in them and I believe I travel fairly lightly. So it shouldn't be much of a worry.

Oh, the sales guy is gonna kill me. They'll have to order the side bags now. Sigh...oh well, it's my new bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode