DIY Driver's backrest - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Driver's backrest

Been a while since i posted on here, so hello again. After a bunch of thought i decided to take a stab at making a drivers backrest. Searching ebay i came up with this little unit, cost was $39+ shipping. Its a Harley backrest, fits softails i think, fully adjustable height and angle which was nice. I started out with some 5/8 box tubing and a little plate steel i had laying around, Let me first point out that i've reworked my seat but this mod will work on a stock seat since im still using the original seat pan. i notched the pan to allow the box tubing to extend all the way up in the seat stopping just short of the top, I tacked the plate steel to it to give it good rigidity and support, held in place by 3 bolts up front and the seat latch bolt in rear. I added a bit of filler steel to the box tubing to make the seat post slide in snug with no slop, seat post required only a minimal amount of grinding to allow it to slide snugly into the box tubing. The wood strip is there just to prevent flexing, simply slides in place. Backrest slips in quick and easly and feels very secure! Doesn't interfere with passenger seating and removes in seconds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key west pics, bike DIY pics 197.jpg (56.5 KB, 1302 views)
File Type: jpg key west pics, bike DIY pics 198.jpg (57.0 KB, 755 views)
File Type: jpg key west pics, bike DIY pics 200.jpg (79.7 KB, 569 views)
File Type: jpg key west pics, bike DIY pics 201.jpg (48.0 KB, 681 views)

Last edited by tsunamichop007; 03-18-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 10:32 PM

Nice job! I love seeing people using their ingenuity and mechanical sklls to make their bike better.

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 10:07 PM

Nice. I had a backrest on a solo saddle on my Harley Sportster and it was the most comfortable thing I ever owned.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

It looks like it's gona work great, easy to remove and the mount is solid
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Looks nice. How do you possibly use a driver backrest on the Versys? I am leaning forward when I am riding the bike. Do you have Ape Hangers installed on your bike?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I've completely changed the riding position on my bike, i've reworked the seat which sits me upright, with no forward slide into the tank, i'm using the handlebars off my 81 gs suzuki, which have more rise and pullback, Buell footpegs for more legroom and highway pegs.....works great
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Looks nice. How do you possibly use a driver backrest on the Versys? I am leaning forward when I am riding the bike. Do you have Ape Hangers installed on your bike?
SWMOTECH crash bars + Kuryakyn longhorn offset cruise pegs.

IBA # 49372
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
SWMOTECH crash bars + Kuryakyn longhorn offset cruise pegs.
Yes, I have the SW Motech pegs on the crash bars for the occasional stretch, but I love the way the bike rides in the twisties so I'm hesitant to put risers on it. BTW: can standard risers work on the Versys or do you have to put a plate between the triple tree and the the stock riser. I have a couple sets of SW-Motech risers that I used on my Ninja 650R to make it more like the Versys.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode