Blacked out - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Blacked out

Just finished getting my newly blacked plastics back on the V. I did it myself using Krylon Fusion Flat Black. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GONZC0/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details I'm not much of a painter and was kind of worried about drips etc, but I just don't have a paint job in the budget, so I took my time and used light passes. The only prep I did was to thoroughly clean the pieces as instructed on the paint. It came out a lot better than I expected. It seems the paint isn't 'chip proof' for 7 days, so durability remains to be seen, but for $10.44 shipped from Amazon I'm pretty stoked about the outcome. I considered doing the silver down by the footpeg, but ultimately decided leaving it alone helps the visual transition to the swingarm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
From what i see looks like it came from the factory that way.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I agree!! Looks fantastic!!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM

Garage
Nice job goat. All of my plastics are black, from the factory, and I like the look very much. I've used Krylon for plastics on a number of projects and it has always worked very well, I think you'll be hapy with it. Lookin' good!

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Looks great. Looks just as good as the pro job I done a few weeks ago.
Nice job.

2013 Versys1000
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Very nice. Just added black radiator covers on my bike and the result is great. I bought factory black pieces however.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Looks good, nicely done. I have done the same thing on my versys a few years ago and was happy with my results.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 PM

Looks great!

Mark Jags
[[/FONT]

09 Blue V
03 H-D Sportster - 50K miles and counting...
08 Bonneville - wife's bike

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Just realized that after replacing my lefthand middle fairing I must've overtightened the topmost hex screw (Due North of the S in Kawasaki...) as it appears the plastic area immediately around the screw has cracked apart. I'm not overly worried about it stability wise without that screw; but I think I may have to come up with a drill-and-neatly ziptie scenario to attach the fairing effectively up there. Can't afford to replace the fairing just for that. Pissed that I felt the rubber bushing and overtightened it anyway...

Last edited by goat12; 03-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

All fixed, sorta. Figured there was no way to repair that shattered upper part of the fairing, and while this doesn't look amazing, it'll certainly do for now.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Its possible you could repair it with a small fiberglass kit and some body filler.. we can get them from most hardware stores down here and they aren't to expensive. just take your time, and follow the instructions its amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.

You could then paint that small section Matt Black too and no one would be the wiser.... well 'cept us.

Last edited by sambamboo; 03-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambamboo View Post
Its possible you could repair it with a small fiberglass kit and some body filler.. we can get them from most hardware stores down here and they aren't to expensive. just take your time, and follow the instructions its amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it.

You could then paint that small section Matt Black too and no one would be the wiser.... well 'cept us.
I'm not sure I really care enough to attempt a fiberglass repair. I'm more concerned about structural integrity than anything else. While my solution may not be the prettiest I feel like it's a more stable way to secure the fairing to the tank. Maybe someday I'll use it as an excuse to learn to repair with fiberglass OR change my bike's color...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 10:49 AM

The black looks good. Mine came that way, chose the green to get black trim and wheels, and then painted all the gloss plastic black as well.

On the broken fairing, wire it up or a ziptie or two and just plan to replace it. Not that big of deal. They even come prefinished. Or get a used part and have it painted.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Jeez! And all this time I thought you were going to tell us you passed out somewhere!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode