Mud and dirt control - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Mud and dirt control

What have you guys done to keep the mud and dirt in control on your V? I have a front fender extender and a pyramid rear hugger, but I don't think they will work for when I change over to dual sport tires. I'll have to raise the front fender, and have to remove the rear hugger. I did have an alguard gravel guard, but didn't like it. Any other suggestions? Show off your ride if you have pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Don't ride in mud
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 11:33 AM

Here's what I use for mud and dirt control.

Donn
KTM200

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Oh, that's nasty. I moved from MN to CA and now the bike doesn't get muddy, dirty or wet, maybe that could be an option.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsycho View Post
What have you guys done to keep the mud and dirt in control on your V? I have a front fender extender and a pyramid rear hugger, but I don't think they will work for when I change over to dual sport tires...and have to remove the rear hugger.
Well, it is a motorbike, so you can only do so much.

You can use a hugger with the 150/70 rear tires (I did it), provided you don't shorten your chain - in the event you went with a smaller than stock rear sprocket.

BUT, very heavy mud, like I encountered on the Dempster and South Canol roads could completely wreck your hugger, like it did mine. If it is just wet, watery, light mud, then you oughta be ok.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wrecked.jpg (94.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg muddy.jpg (91.0 KB, 317 views)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
ednukey - were you the Versys in Dawson wearing knobbies (last June, I think) that spoke with a Wyoming fellow on a KLR who'd just come OFF the Dempster because of the mud?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
ednukey - were you the Versys in Dawson wearing knobbies (last June, I think) that spoke with a Wyoming fellow on a KLR who'd just come OFF the Dempster because of the mud?
Howdy, ed. I passed through Dawson twice, with knobbies on last summer. But I did it in Aug.

Off the top of my head, I can't remember who all I talked to regarding the mud on the Dempster, as it was an absolute sloppy mess when I was headed south (sunny, dry and 30+ C headed north). So, I know I talked to quite a few folks about it - mostly Beemer dudes - but I would need more details to remember specific ones.

The pic is from just after I crashed on the Dempster (I shouldn't have tried to do 40+ mph in that stuff), after finally getting the bike up - with help. Probably about 20mi south of Eagle Plains. The picture doesn't do that slop justice. The road bed was all fluffy and loose prior to the rain, due to construction. The rain made it horrendous. It was so messy and loose in places that I fell over a couple of times while transitioning from moving to standing still.

Apparently, based on running into a rider in Whitehorse, that I previously camped with in Chicken, the majority of the folks that headed onto the Dempster after that storm didn't get very far after giving-up/turning around. He was one of them, and he was on a knobbie equipped GS1200.

Oops, end of hijack...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StormyMess.jpg (85.1 KB, 132 views)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Moving to a different state or buying another bike kinds blows the budget guys

IBA # 49372
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Hah, mine get's coated like that after a week commuting to and from work (or two days in some conditions...). Would love to have a way to reduce (or at least better target) the amount of bloody cleaning I have to do.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:41 PM

I can't find any decent pics but I used a KTM mud flap on my front wheel. Attached it to the fender just like most of them do.

Before I attached it I got it nice and warm so I could shape it like I wanted. You could use one off the shelf or just make your own from a sheet of plastic. You will need to have it almost touching the ground though to keep things really clean.

Last edited by kenr74; 02-27-2012 at 03:43 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Check our the Rear Splash Guard from palmer products. You can DIY that by using a doormat or some kind of stiff rubber and sticking/screwing that to your battery holder. This will protect the rear spring and the rectifier connector.

For the front, you proably need a longer and wider fender extension, possibly also from stiff rubber, like a conveyor belt or sth.

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1994 Honda NTV 650
1999 Suzuki AN125
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
MTS

Yo Motopsycho! Thats what I was threading about too! The problem is IMO that if you go with the full fender in the back it just looks wrong. The half fender doesn't do much. IMO
The fenda extenda in the front look great and really does stop the crap from going up into you radiator. Which to me is the big deal. If you extend it very much past that and go over a little log or rock it could hit the fender.
For the dudes that say I never get dirty. Why post? Motopsycho is asking a question here? Imput is nice but this can be a problem.
I think a full big plastic lining starting under the seat clear down to the mud flap area would do it. But how to make one??

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Motopsycho,

Perhaps you have seen this but here it is, a rear mud flap. Zip ties secures 4 points to the trellis bar, while 3M tape secures the top flap to the underside

A DIY fenda extenda made out of 1L engine oil bottle. Good weather resistant plastic would ensure a long lasting solution. Use 3M tape to secure to the fender.

But I find this to be still too short. Another 3 inches of length would be, I think, perfect. Will 3M tape this additional 3" or so piece onto the existing one.

And don't forget the chain from getting the debris. The front extension is to provide the chain from getting debris that has been flung from the tires to the undersides which eventually will flow down to the chain. The chain has been kept cleaner for longer times now.

The rear extension is to prevent chain lube from getting to the top box, rack, rear signals.....these flung lube make a mess if your clothes happen to rub on these parts.

All made from engine oil bottle, and 3M Tape. Disregard the crappy tape in the picture below. That one last 5 hours before coming off by itself.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

That fender extender by pyramid works great, and I have one on my second front fender. Yes, second front fender. The first one died on Hoosier Pass in Colorado, went through a big dip, fender extender hit the ground, busted the fender mounts. I still like it, and this won't be a problem after I lift the front fender for enduro tire clearance.

IBA # 49372
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 AM
MTS

2daMax thank you so much! Excellent idea! That is what I was trying to describe.
Excellent chain extenda too!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 02-28-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode