Twisted Throttle Pelican iM2600 Topcase Kit - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Twisted Throttle Pelican iM2600 Topcase Kit

Just finished installing my pelican quick release topcase I bought as a kit from Twisted Throttle. Thought I'd share the experience-

To be clear I purchased the Deluxe (with case top hinges [stays] and a lock for the pelican case itself) Twisted Throttle iM2600 Topcase Kit. I also bought an Alurack and the appropriate adapter for my Pelican kit. Upon receiving it all I unpacked it and went over all the parts and hardware to make sure everything was included. Upon examination I found the set was missing the entire lock assembly for the quick release mount (that attaches to pelican), 2 washers and a rubber gasket for the Pelican lock, and the cam arm for the Pelican lock. Needless to say I wasn't pleased.

I emailed Twisted Throttle support and received a quick response (on a saturday, no less) from their customer service team. They asked that I take photographs of the parts that were missing and detail the missing parts for her based on their site's install pdfs. After a bit of back and forth I received the replacement parts. So while it bummed me out to have paid almost $500 for a kit to get an incomplete set of hardware; they squared me away in an acceptable time frame.

Used blue threadlock on all my bolts and screws. Got halfway through the install of the adapter plate and realized i forgot to cut away some loose plastic left over from the drilling. Where the rubber gaskets meet the inside of the case. In the interest of waterproofness I took the time to redo it the right way.

Now it's all installed, and the first thing I noticed is that getting the 'quick release' case on the bike is tough. It's no Givi type pop on pop off setup. I imagine it's this way because with larger tolerances the case would rattle around. I also think after pulling it off and putting it back on a few times it will get a tiny bit easier. That being said it's a good thing I don't plan on taking this thing on and off daily.

I think the case will provide me a nice amount of storage for my cover and some necessities. I'm wondering if anyone else here has run into any of the same issues with theirs? Any longtime user reports?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 PM

They asked you to take photos of the missing parts? Quite a feat!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM

I have the same kit. Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with the missing parts. One thing I did notice was that the directions were terrible. Maybe I just don't think like a tech writer. Either way, the setup works great. Yes, it is a little difficult to get on and off, but I rather like it that way. I think it keeps it from rattling around, but YMMV. I've had it for about 6 months and haven't had any issues.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 AM

I noticed the same when I installed them on my seahorse side cases. One thing I found that helped it greatly was take a little chain wax lube and spray it around the barrel lock and the lock plate very lightly. Then wipe off the majority of the excess.

Since then I've noticed it really goes on easily and comes off easily. The first few times it was a bit difficult to line it up and push it in. Now they slide on and off quite smoothly. One other thing I had to do was once the lock was tightened on sufficiently I took a nice heavy wrench wedged it underneath and pulled the lock machanism up a tiny bit. Locked it on the bike for a few days and then pulled it off and on a few times.

Hope this may help.

"Why do I ride?"

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Aviator View Post
They asked you to take photos of the missing parts? Quite a feat!
That's great! Reminds me of the air traveller who went to the airport lost luggage office to report that his luggage didn't arrive only to be asked if the plane had landed yet. Huh???

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:41 AM

could someone please provide a link or links to the parts I need to make this work..I already have the 720 case and the aluim rack....do I just need the adapter kit for the case or is there another piece I need to add to the rack??? thanks

Dan
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat12 View Post
Just finished installing my pelican quick release topcase I bought as a kit from Twisted Throttle. Thought I'd share the experience-

To be clear I purchased the Deluxe (with case top hinges [stays] and a lock for the pelican case itself) Twisted Throttle iM2600 Topcase Kit. I also bought an Alurack and the appropriate adapter for my Pelican kit. Upon receiving it all I unpacked it and went over all the parts and hardware to make sure everything was included. Upon examination I found the set was missing the entire lock assembly for the quick release mount (that attaches to pelican), 2 washers and a rubber gasket for the Pelican lock, and the cam arm for the Pelican lock. Needless to say I wasn't pleased.

I emailed Twisted Throttle support and received a quick response (on a saturday, no less) from their customer service team. They asked that I take photographs of the parts that were missing and detail the missing parts for her based on their site's install pdfs. After a bit of back and forth I received the replacement parts. So while it bummed me out to have paid almost $500 for a kit to get an incomplete set of hardware; they squared me away in an acceptable time frame.

Used blue threadlock on all my bolts and screws. Got halfway through the install of the adapter plate and realized i forgot to cut away some loose plastic left over from the drilling. Where the rubber gaskets meet the inside of the case. In the interest of waterproofness I took the time to redo it the right way.

Now it's all installed, and the first thing I noticed is that getting the 'quick release' case on the bike is tough. It's no Givi type pop on pop off setup. I imagine it's this way because with larger tolerances the case would rattle around. I also think after pulling it off and putting it back on a few times it will get a tiny bit easier. That being said it's a good thing I don't plan on taking this thing on and off daily.

I think the case will provide me a nice amount of storage for my cover and some necessities. I'm wondering if anyone else here has run into any of the same issues with theirs? Any longtime user reports?

would it be possible to mount he case forward more so it didn't hang off the a$$ end of the bike so much???

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode