Quick Handguard Question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quick Handguard Question

Hi all --

I read through some posts, but nothing perfectly clear on the topic. I won my superbowl pool, amounted to around $250 bucks .. soo time to add a farkle.

I was watching an nice video series on
and it was mentioned that the handguards protect against wind, so that is what I would like to get.

Now-- I see that most people like the Barkbuster handguards - but before I drop the cash on twisted throttle, I was hoping to get input on use with the GIVI Tall Screen.

Simple question: Can you use the barkbusters (Storm) with the Givi tall screen? I saw that some people said "Yes - As long as the Givi is at the highest setting" and then some people said "No - you have to cut it". Please note that this is a 2011 model versys.

Also - How easy is it to install? Like a 2 screw job? I dont want to be cutting anything. Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM

Barkbusters installed easy once I had all of the requied components. I can't speak on fittment with a 2011 with a givi windscreen, since I have a 2008.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM

I have a 2010 which should be the same setup as yours. Like I posted here, http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=17396&page=2,
"They were easy to install and came with bar weights. Probably took twenty minutes to install of which five was figuring out what many small parts that were included were not needed. (Example: The bar ends already have an internal threaded bolt hole, so the insert pieces aren't needed.) I dislike the white "Barkbusters" logo on the black plastic guards, but I'll get a small brush and paint them black - a simple fix." Still haven't painted out the Barkbusters logo - guess I've had higher priorities time wise...heh. Can't say how they fit with the Givi screen.

Someday is not a day of the week.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 PM

Say, brothercannon, or anybody, can you tell me the dimensions of the aluminum part of the Barkbusters? I'm interested in thickness and width. Thanks.

George
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM

I wish I had a set of calipers. I couldn't find any dimensions on barkbusters.net Here is a pic from Barkbusters web site.

Oh, by the way you can use the same backbone for both the vps plastics and the Storm plastics. I switched from the VPS to the Storm.

If I get off my arse I'll go out to the garage and take some rought measurements but no promises.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
If I get off my arse I'll go out to the garage and take some rought measurements but no promises.
Don't blame ya, it's probably cold out there. My calibrated eyeball guesstimates 1/4" by 3/4". The reason I ask is that I'm thinking of trying to make a set and having dimensions is a good starting point.

Thanks for the pics.

George
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Ok welli didnt get much feedback on this. I searched as much as possible to no avail. I saw a comment on twisted throttle that someone with a 2011 didnt have an issue with the givi tall screen but it wasnt mentioned if it was the vps or storm model. I asked twosted throttle and they said it shouldnt be an issue i just have to position the guards correctly.

I placed the order.. $160ish with shipping. Itscon backorder though but ill report back once installed.

If anyone with a 2011 and givi screen has these and can give early feedback i would love it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 PM

2010-11 model
D410ST
Specific screen, transparent 48 x 37 cm (H x W)

21 cm higher than original

2007-09 model
D405ST
Specific screen, transparent 46 x 44,5 cm (H x W)

I had the slightest contact on my 08 at full lock. Considering the new version is 7.5 cm shorter in width I doubt it will be an issue.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:40 AM

FWIW, I'm running with KTM handguards ( no reinforcing bars, just plastic ) with Givi/Madstad and it does hit if the Givi is at the lowest setting. It really only comes into play ( for me, anyway ) when manuevering the bike into the garage, it's nothing that impacts my riding.

Toys : 2009 Versys ( Blue ), 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Needs : 2016 Mazda CX-5 ( RIP Mazda5 ), 2007 Honda Civic
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naudan View Post
Ok welli didnt get much feedback on this. I searched as much as possible to no avail. I saw a comment on twisted throttle that someone with a 2011 didnt have an issue with the givi tall screen but it wasnt mentioned if it was the vps or storm model. I asked twosted throttle and they said it shouldnt be an issue i just have to position the guards correctly.

I placed the order.. $160ish with shipping. Itscon backorder though but ill report back once installed.

If anyone with a 2011 and givi screen has these and can give early feedback i would love it.
OK -- well I figured I post my results. I purchased the Barkbusters off Twisted Throttle. Overall it was a simple install but I ran into a few problems.
  1. Problem 1 - The barends got stuck. I stripped the hex a bit when trying to get off my left barend. Took it to the shop and they were able to get it off with a Socket Wrench style allen key - even without heat. They got the right one off in 2 seconds just as easily.. I guess having the right tools is key
  2. Problem 2- When installing the right side, I was having trouble making everything lineup because the wrapping was hitting the front break reservoir. In order to solve that I used one of the extra parts that was shipped from twisted throttle as a spacer, the extra 1/8 inch enabled me to clear everything jusssst enough. <-- I posted pictures below, if someone else with a 2011 did the install without the spacer I would love to see how!

By the way, for those that are looking to do this, there are no issues with the barkbusters hitting the Givi Tall Screen even when bars are fully turned. In fact you have about 3 inches clearance on both sides.

After the install:

This is the image with the spacer:

Extra Parts:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM

So naudan,
It looks as if you have those gaurds you wouldn't be able to install the extended length banjo bolt to run individual brake lines to the front calipers?

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_versys View Post
So naudan,
It looks as if you have those gaurds you wouldn't be able to install the extended length banjo bolt to run individual brake lines to the front calipers?
sc_veryss : Not exactly sure as I wasnt planning on that upgrade. I couldn't find many pictures of someone who had it setup to even compare. I would assume it could be possible if the hoses are relocated a bit? If it really is just having an extended bolt, It could be diffiuclt.

This is all under the assumption that the positioning of my hand guard wrap is correct. Again -- trying to get confirmation on that and determine why I needed to use a spacer in the first place
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Starting with the 09 and newer Versys the brake reservoir changed to the style on your's. This is the first I've heard of this issue. Either your angle not optimal or others changed the angle to eliminate the need for the spacer you used. I'm sure someone has a few close up pic's for you to compare.

In fact I just found one:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4948

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothercannon View Post
Starting with the 09 and newer Versys the brake reservoir changed to the style on your's. This is the first I've heard of this issue. Either your angle not optimal or others changed the angle to eliminate the need for the spacer you used. I'm sure someone has a few close up pic's for you to compare.

In fact I just found one:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4948
Thanks for the pictures. I used this during my install as well, but I honestly couldnt make it work otherwise. There was very little room between the reservior and the small notch that holes your cables on the bar.

As you said, It could be possible to adjust the brake reservior by shifting it up more, that way it clears the wrapping more. I'll look into this during the weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode