"Affordable" luggage? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
"Affordable" luggage?

Hi all,

New to the forum and not a Versys owner "yet". Been eyeing these for a while. I'm really going to need some way to carry a little gear on my bike.

The Givi hard saddlebags and top cases look great, but they're pretty pricey.

Anybody have some more affordable options for luggage out there?

Can you throw a pair of soft saddle bags on a Versys without the luggage rack? Or will the bags fall into the wheel?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...tview/922/788/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 49372
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I have Fieldsheer soft saddle bags on here."they are no longer made" and this which if you don't like saddle bags works really well... http://www.chromeworld.com/_Images/Blobs//SM126.jpg

KAWASAKI VERSYS » SADDLEMEN TS3200 SPORT TAIL BAG UNIVERSAL FIT

Kawasaki Versys Saddlemen TS3200 Sport Tail Bag Universal Fit
#: SM126
Was: $99.95
$89.95
You save 10%
Free Shipping for orders above $199
All orders under $199 will ship for a flat rate of only $7.99
Quantity

or orShareThis
Saddlemen TS3200 Sport Tail Bag Universal Fit

SaddleStow TS3200 Deluxe Sport Tail Bag
· Unique design, easy to mount and full of features; offers any bike maximum luggage capacity
· Wide top opening for easy packing
· Zippered side expansion allows longer items like tent poles
· External drink holder for convenient on-the-road access
· Universal quick-detach mounting system secures to frame, passenger pegs, etc.
· Top carry handle and shoulder straps included
· External zippered pockets for easy access
· Tunnel straddles back seat for easy on/off mounting
· Internal mesh pouch - great for small travel items
· Top-mounted compression straps to secure jackets or other loose items
· Office organizer for glasses, pens, business cards, etc.
· Soft duffle construction helps bag conform to mounting location
· Constructed of UV-, water-, and weather-resistant 1200 denier Saddle Tuffä

Dimensions: 25.5" W x 13" H x 12" D; measures 3,400 cubic inches

IMG_0135 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 02-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM

You can use saddle bags, but there is a belief that the bags could go into the wheel area. There are a number of options:

• There are a number of threads on the forum regarding soft saddlebag supports made by members.
  • Happy Trails has one in development. At $199, it may be pricey, though.
  • There's also one from Greece that appears periodically on Ebay (here).
  • An alternative is to make your own.
  • And, of course, you could get some side pannier racks (eg Givi, SW Motech, Hepco-Becker, etc). They would work, and you could then upgrade later to hard cases if you desired.
How serious is it? I don't know, as I use hard cases myself . I did have some Nelson-Rigg CL850's before getting the hard cases, and it did appear that they could interfere with the wheel in some cases. If I had kept them, I would have opted for a support of some kind.

I didn't use them on the Versys, though...they were a hold-over from my KLR, and I wanted to use something lockable and waterproof. In my case, I was able to find a set of used side cases and those work well for me.

Just my $0.02,
Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great info! The DIY method looks pretty slick and I might be able to use my existing soft bags.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM

define affordable please.

I did my hard bag setup for about 651$. If I didn't want to add a top rack I could have done it for about 190 less.

"Why do I ride?"

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

$450 for hard bags seems pretty good compared to what I've been seeing online. What's your setup?

That's still a lot of money to me. In the short term I'd like a solution where I can throw some soft bags on. I wish some of the members here were still selling their supports, but I don't mind going the DIY route.

Eventually I'd like to add some hard bags and a hard top case, so please share your setup.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM

It's best to have some kind of a rack support if you have the soft panniers. I made one out of Aluminum hanger since they are easy to bend and zip tie them to the Givi top box rack. The bags looked great on the bike but the hangers look ugly. Well, it was a last minute job before my long touring ride.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
$450 for hard bags seems pretty good compared to what I've been seeing online. What's your setup?
You can see it in this thread. Look at post #184.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...786#post184786

George
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Garage
The support for the soft bags are not really needed. The support gets rid of the "Sag" the larger bags have on the bike.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM
MTS

Walmart $49 bucks, soft, tail and two sides. Awesome great quality!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
Walmart $49 bucks, soft, tail and two sides. Awesome great quality!
Got a pic or a link?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
MTS

Quote:
Got a pic or a link?
I don't know how too put a link in here, but I ordered off <walmart.com> then go to motorcycles, because the two stores around me here didn't have them in stock. Hope this helps!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 PM

Garage
http://www.walmart.com/search/search..._&ref=&ic=32_0

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM
MTS

Ok $59.54 sides. $48 for the tail. I thought they were together. I ordered a year ago. My bad.

Thanks Weljo!!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

Last edited by MTS; 02-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Garage
heres some.....http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
...I wish some of the members here were still selling their supports, but I don't mind going the DIY route....
I'm working with a metal fabricator here in Mesa, AZ, prototyping front fender extensions to raise the front fender 1.385", half of what most guys have done, (my measurements indicate that will raise the fender about 1/2" more than what is stock - OVER A 130/80 TIRE - can we say "Tourance"...?) and we talked about him making soft-bag supports. He says he's interested.

(I'll post pics of the extension when it's complete, and supports, IF AND WHEN!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-02-2012 at 11:10 PM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 AM

Cheapest luggage solution I've found is two 24" rok straps anchored under the seat, and a 22l NRS drybag strapped to the seat.

My straps might be this kind: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-24-ROK...-/110321572909

They have a loop on one end that I girth hitched around a frame part, and a plastic buckle on the other. One side is long, the other side side short & stretchy.

On my last bike I used a Givi V46 top case, and occasionally 40l sidecases as well. Prolly gonna go with hard luggage on the Versys too.

There are cheaper hard cases than Givi: Kappa, Shad, also JC Whitney sells a case. Pelican and others sells plastic boxes that you can bolt to a rack, or buy mounting kits for. Some people use ammo cans. Or milk crates...

Last edited by davidg; 02-03-2012 at 01:29 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:18 AM

The Ventura luggage setup seems really popular on the UK Versys forum.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 AM

Garage
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOGEAR-Sad...#ht_500wt_1413

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode