Fitting KTM handguards to Versys Gen2. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Fitting KTM handguards to Versys Gen2.

I thought I'd share how I fitted a pair of KTM 990SMT handguards to my Gen2 Versys.

This is what you should get in the kit. The handguards and all the fittings which come in two separate packs.

I also bought a pair of R&G (slider) bar ends. I tried different ways to mount the guards, none of which was satisfactory. I got these to make a neater job.

OK, first off, remove the oe bar ends.

I then removed the plastic cable hangers as they were in the way of the best position to mount the handlebar clamp ends of the guards.

Rather than use pieces of rubber strip to take up the slack between the clamps and the 'bars (KTM use a fat bar), I used double sided numberplate sticky tape. Then it was a simple matter of clamping the two ends of the guard together. I didn't fully tighten the clamps until the other end was fitted.

Now on to the handlebar end. Here we have the R&G bar end (minus the black plastic slider) and the KTM inserts for the handlebar. I cut the shank off the end which enabled me to place this cut piece into the R&G part.

Like so. This gives the plastic a wider contact area plus some grip for the plastic to bite into.

Then it's just a matter of offering this assembly together. I used the KTM bolts and added a little thread lock on each of them.

All that was needed was for everything to be tightened up. I didn't go mad on the inboard clamps as I have heard of some people over-tightening and breaking the guards.

And that's it, job done !! Pretty easy really and I'm happy with the results. They seem to offer good coverage and I personally think they suit the lines and finish of the Gen2 Versys rather well.

Cost-wise, the KTM guards were 42.00 (pretty cheap IMO) and the R&G bar ends were 25.00 (not so cheap considering) which works out around $102 U.S.

Good luck exploring the infinite abyss

Last edited by Davy F; 01-14-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 AM

Very nice write up with photos!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 PM

Those KTM guards look quite a bit beefier than the KTM guards I bought 3 years ago.

Nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM

Hi Davy,

Just wondering, how hard is it to remove the bolt that mounts the balancer/dampener/slider on the handle bar.

I had a shorty Allen key and it won't budge. Did u add loctite to it when you put them back together? Thanks.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM

That looks really sharp.

Hoping to become a rider soon
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post

Just wondering, how hard is it to remove the bolt that mounts the balancer/dampener/slider on the handle bar.
Resistance was futile ! My Allen key is quite long tho' and it took a bit of a yank to get it started, but it wasn't too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2daMax View Post

Did u add loctite to it when you put them back together?
Yes, I used thread lock on reassembly.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
, THANKS FOR SHARING.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM

Davy, you set the standard, nicely done and well presented!

I have the older KTM guards as as well, but maybe their more organic lines go better with the first gen... I do like the textured surface on the new guards, it integrates nicely with the black trim pieces on the bike. Right now I'm using bugs for texture.
The problem with either KTM guard on the Vs is the taper on the bars that accommodates the stock bar-end weights. Lose the weights and you get a gap between the guard and the grip. Keep them on and the supplied hardware doesn't work and the whole thing is a little too long to look right.
Davy's solution covers the gap, adds a nice bit of bling, and adds some weight at the bar ends. Brilliant!

Here is the right R&G part at Twisted Throttle-
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5826/
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 PM

Davy, thanks for the tips.

It is in my observation that it is important to keep the length of the handle bars the same or longer, if possible, in other words, if the original bar ends have been removed to install a hand guard, it is good to get back that 'length' by using other means. This is to protect the fairings during a drop.

Got 2 buddies with V, both with crash sliders. The one without hand guards (2009 model) when accidentally dropped did not have damages to the fairings, besides a hurt ego and scratched sliders, bar ends and scratched givi top box. The other (2010 model), has a Acerbis single point mounting hand guard and with a removed stock bar ends, wasn't so lucky. There were slight damages to the radiator shroud, fairing, front signal, and dash board edges. He has the Givi V35 side box which took some of the impact.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Note, doing this hand guard install on my new all black 2011. One question, what shield do you have on there.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
One question, what shield do you have on there.
Shield, as in screen ? It is a Powerbronze Flip Screen. Approx 4" taller than standard. Saying that, it's now been sold and I've gone back to stock as the taller screen introduced turbulence to the peak of my Arai TourX.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Right on, how tall are you...I figure im below everything...ha ha
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
right on, how tall are you...i figure im below everything...ha ha

5' 11".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode