Crash Bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Crash Bars

I'm having the same problem everyone else seems to have had with the SW Motech crash bars. The left U bolt just won't fit up. I've tried the solutions on the board, but to no avail. I'm going to stop for the night and try again in the morning. I'll call Twisted Throttle for advice and if they can't help me out, I guess they will go back. It's too bad, I like the bars.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
H/B's Baby

IMG_0737 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133900 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_20111127_133911 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
H/B's Baby
Who's car is that, and how did the collision occur?

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Who's car is that, and how did the collision occur?

Thats from my crash on 11/27/2011. Coming down PCH the guy in the BMW decided he wanted to do a U-Turn while i was coming along side of him. Didn't hit straight on i hit the brakes and we slammed into the side of each other most of the impact right on the H/B's & Highwaypeg. The H/B's got scratched when the bike hit the ground. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17711

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-14-2012 at 02:07 PM.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 02:44 PM

It seems we don't really have an "definitive" answer on which are best?

There's the Givi's the H/B's and the Sw Mototech.

But without a crash test of ea one, using similar circumstances, everyone is kind of "guessing"?

These don't look like they'll work... these won't protect the radiator... these protect the top but not the bottom... etc etc etc.

weljo has a pretty clear indication on how the H/B's handle. Does anyone else have any "specific" info vs guessing?

Just wondering as I like the looks of the Givi's the best, and the attachments, but hoping to not find out they "kind of" work... if ya know what I mean...

cheers
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I'm having the same problem everyone else seems to have had with the SW Motech crash bars. The left U bolt just won't fit up. I've tried the solutions on the board, but to no avail. I'm going to stop for the night and try again in the morning. I'll call Twisted Throttle for advice and if they can't help me out, I guess they will go back. It's too bad, I like the bars.
I've been in contact with Twisted Throttle over the past week or so with this problem. They didn't really have any solutions, but forwarded the complaint on to the manufacturer. I finally got my bars on 'good enough' for now. I put enough upward pressure on the bar to get the bottom bolt through and the nut seated on it. I tinkered around with tightening and loosening both nuts to get rid of the added engine vibes, and wound up with the bottom nut backed out to the point where the bolt end is just barely back inside the nut. I've got quite a bit of blue loctite on there, and i'll be watching it closely over the next few weeks to make sure it holds. If you can at least get the bottom nut threaded on that bolt, you should be good to go.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTacoCombo View Post
I've been in contact with Twisted Throttle over the past week or so with this problem. They didn't really have any solutions, but forwarded the complaint on to the manufacturer. I finally got my bars on 'good enough' for now. I put enough upward pressure on the bar to get the bottom bolt through and the nut seated on it. I tinkered around with tightening and loosening both nuts to get rid of the added engine vibes, and wound up with the bottom nut backed out to the point where the bolt end is just barely back inside the nut. I've got quite a bit of blue loctite on there, and i'll be watching it closely over the next few weeks to make sure it holds. If you can at least get the bottom nut threaded on that bolt, you should be good to go.
I just sent your pictures to Twisted Throttle also. I've been in contact with Jennifer and she requested pictures, but I had already removed the bars to pack them for shipping. I've already cross threaded one of the u bolts, so I'd need another one before I could do anything anyway. I hope you don't mind me using a link to your thread. Maybe something will come of this. I'm going to go and find another u bolt locally while I'm waiting.

post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzItLies View Post
...weljo has a pretty clear indication on how the H/B's handle. Does anyone else have any "specific" info vs guessing?...
Yes - ME. I low-sided going up 366 up Mt. Graham (just west of Safford) a year ago at about 15 to 20 mph in a left-switchback. My '08 has H-B crash bars and Zeta handguards, and the crash scratched both, bent my shifter (bent back, later again with heat) and added some "wear marks" to the mesh gear I was wearing (also broke one of my ribs...). Repaired the marks on the H-Bs with electricians tape, and the Zetas with a file and some reflecting tape. The rib? THAT took a few weeks! (Pictures of the repaired parts are below, sorry I did NOT take pics before fixed.)

I have S-Ws on my '09, so here are my observations:
H-Bs - when installing them, the nuts that are 'captured' in the front of the crankcase 'turned'. They are reasonably tight, but this wasn't good.
S-Ws - when installing them I had some of the issues with the U-bolts as others recount, and, once installed they make it VERY hard to access the lower bolt on the countershaft-sprocket-cover. There seems to have been an issue with one of the plastic side panels down low, but the '09s about 1700 miles north of me right now, and the '09 has MUCH MORE mirror vibes than does the '08. Is that the S-Ws fault...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05404.jpg (50.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05405.jpg (47.2 KB, 135 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 10:18 PM

Hey thnx for that fasteddie. I really couldn't tell from all the stuff I read. While the H/B's look to be up to the job, decided to go with the givi's. They're on order.

Man I'll tell ya... having a Versys is bringing me back to my early motorcycling days... it's an awesome feeling
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:48 PM

I have the SW crash bars on my 08 V. No trouble installing. Just have to tighten everything down equally.
The SW bars do make getting to the counter sprocket more difficult but so far I haven't had to. Fabbing a special wrench may be in order.
Did a really slow layover in the garage and the SW bars took all the contact sparing the paint job. They paid for themselves right there. Glad you other guys walked away from your untimely "get-offs".
Comparing the 2008 OEM parts list with the 2011 parts list the only difference I could find when it came to external vibration dampening are two rubber "donuts" at the upper rear engine/frame mounting points.

78 IT175
80 TT250
84 XR350
84 XR350
01 XR400
01 WR250
08 VERSYS
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

I spoke to Twisted Throttle today. A service manager is supposed to get back to me. I told them I'd sit on them for a few days and see what they can resolve. I do have them repacked and ready to return. If that's how it goes, I'll probably go for the Givi's.

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
S-Ws - and the '09 has MUCH MORE mirror vibes than does the '08. Is that the S-Ws fault...?
The SW's certainly add a bunch of engine vibes if you tighten the u-bolts too much. If you back them way off to the point where you can just wiggle the bolt side to side by hand, the vibes pretty much go away. I can tell my right bar is still a bit too tight because my right peg and knee get tingly at certain revs, but the left side no longer does. One I got them installed and settled in, I practically forgot they're even there.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with TT. They won't take the bars back until I send them pictures of the problem on MY bike. Seems redundant, but if that's what it takes, I guess I have to reinstall them.

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Great customer service there. Known problem but you have to jump through hoops.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
They say they've installed 4 or 5 sets with no problems. I told them practically everyone on here has had a problem. I'll re install them tonight and take their pictures.

post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Yep i had trouble with them on an order when i first got my versys. Haven't ordered through them since. That turned out to be a costly mistake for them. But then hey i'am only one customer.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

They told me today that they have to forward the photos to Germany to see what SW wants to do. I told them, if they can't fix the problem, they are getting their bars back and I'm getting my money back.

post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Can you post the pics? I've been trying to decide between buying and building. Not sure I have seen what the issue is on these bars but I keep hearing about it.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Pics in first post of my thread:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=17957

The issue is that the top tube on the left bar sits about a 1cm too low, so the u-bolt won't line up right and not enough threads poke through the hole to make it work. Several of us have managed to get the bars on with a bit of force, but it's not how it should be. The right bars line up perfectly, so I'm pretty convinced either the left bars are defective, or there's some variation in the frames between bikes (unlikely).
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 03:53 PM

Should be getting the Givi's in a few days. Will let people know how they install / appear to be up to the job.

It's sad to hear people having to fight with SW. sure hope mine install easily...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode