SW-Motech crash bar install problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SW-Motech crash bar install problem

Man, nothing but problems this weekend. I'm installing the SW-Motech crash bars on my 2011. I've got everything in except the left side u-bolt. The bars don't seem to line up with the frame correctly, and I can't get the bolt into both holes. The U has to angle downward into the holes, and the bottom part won't even go in far enough to get the nut on the end of it. The right side U-bolt went in nearly horizontal, but the left side is way off. Have I got a defective bar, or am I missing something here? Also, what is the purpose of the U-bolt? Is it vital to have this secured, or is it just to keep the bars from vibrating against the frame? If I don't get this figured out today, I'd rather not have to completely undo everything I did, but I also don't want to be riding around if that piece absolutely needs to be secured..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-01 11.50.52.jpg (253.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-01 11.51.29.jpg (282.8 KB, 183 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Did you just put the bolts in loosley or did you tighten everything as you went.?

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Did you just put the bolts in loosley or did you tighten everything as you went.?
Tightened the two front mounts first, then the rear mount, right U-bolt, then left U-bolt. I tried backing out the front left bolt, but that didn't give me much play. It doesn't seem like a matter of wiggle room. The mounting points aren't loose enough to give much leeway, and the left U-bolt mount is way off. I did manage to put enough pressure on the bar to get the nuts on the bolt now, but it's putting a lot of pressure on the top of the frame bar, and it just doesn't look right...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM

I had the same issue with mine i ended up using a small round file and taking a little bit out of the upper edge of the holes so the U-bolt could slip into them.. i dont have them tourqued up super tight just enough that they dont move.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM

I just got a set of these, and had a similar issue, also on the left side. Sounds like a small manufacturing defect. But, mine seems to have been less severe than yours. I was able to thread the lower nut on a couple turns by hand, then ratcheted it down a bit. That pulled the U around lower, and the top of the U then lined up well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode